Any Word On 2K8???

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by MGM, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Heater41

Heater41 London Knights Owner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Show on PS3 in 07 had some GREAT gameplay! While 2K7 was the only baseball I played online I hated the fact that I could homer to RF, even with a pitcher, ALOT! When you have to police yourself the game is brutal. Hopefully the homers have been brought way down. personally, they should do away with the power swing forever!

No Streaming Account
  2. bones56

bones56 Retired Commissioner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey heater welcome to LG, it looks like you have been here for a little while now!! Anyway its nice to see another Long Islander!!! :razz:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
    No Streaming Account
  3. striker3771

striker3771 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agree. I don't understand how anyone can say the gameplay was crap on the 3. :-?

No Streaming Account
  4. MGM

MGM Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just hope that what they are doing this year will finally be the breakthrough for this game. Brinkman seems to understand what needs to be fixed. Hopefully the demo will give us a clearer picture as we get closer to the release. I have played a couple of games of 2K7 online lately and I don't see how 2k8 can't be better. I'm excited!!

As far as The Show, I like it as well (only played it on the PSP), but I'm not about to go out and buy a PS3 for it.

As far as :bdet: , I think Rob is going to have to spot everyone 2 runs in everygame ;-) Hell, I think everyone is going to have to give me ( :bstl: ) 2 runs.

As soon as the demo is released, Bones and I will get the ball rolling for next season.

1. We will get a feel for who is coming back
    2. We will establish team retention
    3. Create an "Interest" thread in the public forums and go from there.

I can tell you all this, this league is going to be molded after the NHL 08 singles league and we will be EXTREMELY selective as to who get's in. We will not allow for any garbage in this league.

No Streaming Account
  5. AkaBalla2k

AkaBalla2k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -7
    Mlb 2k8

Upon finding out that I had played MLB 2K7 extensively last year, the first thing one of the developers for 2K Sports' MLB 2K8 asked me after sitting down in the conference room where the demo was being shown was, "what issues bothered you most about last year's game?". I responded "too many homeruns, an over abundance of homerun robbing catches and a less than desired physics engine in relation to the ball coming off the bat." After hearing my response he nodded his head in agreement and assured me that those things were among the many issues that were addressed this year.

Although I only had about 10-15 minutes with the demo, I saw enough to come away encouraged that MLB 2K8 has made some strides compared to last year. The swing stick is one of the first things that has been enhanced. Contact and power swings are no longer tied into the face buttons as they have been scrapped entirely. Instead swinging has been designed to mimic the simplest of concepts: see the ball, hit the ball. Everything else is dictated by timing, the caliber of player who's doing the hitting and their individual attributes. It also seemed a bit easier to hit using the swing stick as the step and swing motions felt a lot tighter. And since the power swings have been eliminated, it seems like you'll no longer be able to just press up and jack homeruns at will.

Another thing that has been refined is the pitching system. Now, all the pitches in a pitcher's repertoire are tied into the right analog stick instead of the face buttons like years past. Each pitch is tied to a particular command that requires specific movements of the right analog stick. The accuracy and speed of the pitch is dictated by how successfully you can emulate the move required. For example a fastball might simply require you to pull down, hold, and then push upward and release the stick. When the pitcher is going into his motion you'll notice a circular target in front of the catcher. Inside that target is a circle that expands outward with the goal being to release the ball at the circle's maximum width. As I said before, the closer you get to correctly nailing the move, the better the accuracy and effectiveness of the pitch. You'll have a little bit more wiggle room when controlling the elite pitchers as far as mimicking the command required to throw a pitch, as ratings also come into play. Average and lower tier pitchers will require you to get at as close as possible to the right stick movements required of a particular pitch as possible. Some pitches require you to move the right stick in a half circular motion so it will be an adjustment for most people. After you throw the pitch, you'll notice an icon showing you a percentage of how close you came to pulling the move off. Admittedly so, I struggled at first throwing any pitches with great effectiveness and I walked my share of batters, but so far I love the system. Previously, it was just too easy to pick a spot, press a button and have a pitch go anywhere you wanted it. I've always felt the user had an edge when it came to pitching because you could throw with amazing pinpoint control with just about any pitcher in the game. I found this system will make pitching more unpredictable and rewarding when you did throw a great pitch.

The enhancements didn't stop there as the way you'll run and throw the ball to the bases has also changed. Again, no longer will the face buttons be required (starting to see a trend here yet?) to throw to a particular base. Instead, the corresponding bases are tied into right analog stick movements. You'll have to press to the right to throw the ball to first base, up for second, left for third and down for home plate. A throwing meter will also appear next to each fielder as he retrieves the ball and you'll have to release the ball when the icon fills up to the green area for a most accurate throw. Charging throws will be possible as you can point in the direction of the base you want to throw to before the fielder actually picks up the ball. Running the bases seemed a bit more intuitive as the sometimes cumbersome use of the left and right bumpers to control the base runners has been scaled back to a more simplified approach. When you have a base runner on, you'll notice that a number corresponds to each base. With first base being the 'B' button (#1), second base 'Y' (#2), third base 'X' (#3) and home 'A'(#4). If you have a runner on 2nd base and you smoke a hit up the middle, you'd simply press the 'X' to advance him to 3rd. If you wanted him to retreat to 2nd you'd simply press the "Y' button. The thing I liked about this system is, say that runner you had on 2nd base you wanted to send him home. You can bypass pressing 3rd base completely and just press the 'A' button and the runner will round third base and head home without stopping. Taking control of a particular runner requires you to press the left analog stick in the direction of the runner. Using that same guy on 2nd base as the example, upon the hitter putting the ball into play, I simply pressed upward with the left stick to assume control of him. You'll see a glowing icon under the runner to indicate he's under user control and then you'll be able to command what base you want him to advance or retreat to. On paper this may seem like a lot of steps, but I got a handle on it pretty quickly and thought it to be an improvement over using the bumpers. The bumpers still come in handy if you have multiple runners on and you need to advance everyone at once, but you are no longer just limited to their use.

Another cool edition added this year, are the new player cards. Each player card comes with a particular in-game task assigned to unlock them. To unlock a Jose Reyes card, you might be required to steal 4 bases in a game with a player. There are also legend player cards and bonus stadiums that can be unlocked. Taking it even a step further users can take a team constructed solely of acquired player cards online for competing against others. Trading player cards online with other users will also be possible.

The minor leagues have also been expanded boasting 90 teams all playable in exhibition and franchise modes. All the modes from last year like GM remain intact except they have been condensed under the franchise mode. Graphically the game is looking as good as ever.

If first impressions count for anything, I came away encouraged about the improvements made and the direction the game is headed. 2K seemed to realize that MLB 2K7 was a decent effort, but a few major flaws held the game from reaching it's potential. This year the theme for MLB 2K8 seemed to build upon the foundation laid last year. Vetz will have more in-depth info on MLB in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

No Streaming Account
  6. hearst747

hearst747 Member Since 2007

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    hey bones and heater what part of long island are you from im in oceanside. Its in nassau

No Streaming Account
  7. bones56

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I currently live in Hicksville, and I grew up in Wantagh. I plan on buying a house this year and who knows where I will end up. :)

No Streaming Account
  8. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hicksville? That's definitely a town in Texas. What are you trying to pull Bones?

:)

No Streaming Account
  9. bones56

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ha ha, look it up, no kidding around here... lol

No Streaming Account
  10. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    Hear, hear Mike. I just hope I can make your selective cut :) BTW - Cam and I have an agreement where I could get the Jays ;) I'm sure you'll enjoy having Pujos and now Glaus with those power bats.

BleedBlueBlood
  11. L Bert12

L Bert12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of interest in this year's game...

No Streaming Account
  12. striker3771

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any word of when the demo will be released?

No Streaming Account
  13. MGM

MGM Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the information put forth by Ben Brinkman. He is saying the first week of February for the release of the demo.

No Streaming Account
  14. striker3771

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

No Streaming Account
  15. BxGngsta

BxGngsta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    First week of Feb. would be nice! I don't want to get too excited yet, but I know the sooner Feb. arrives, the higher my hopes are!

No Streaming Account
  16. hearst747

hearst747 Member Since 2007

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    after what happened in the nhl league with me and my teammates will i still be elligible to play in the mlb league

No Streaming Account
  17. centrall

centrall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to LG, havin a great time with NHL and COD. I hope I can get into the MLB2k8 league. One question, it seems to me that the league will start pretty much when the game comes out. And Im psyched that the league is running through LG, but you (MGM) said this is a no garbage league, which is awesome. But it always takes a little time for cheesers/cheaters/sore losers/kids!!(LOL) to find ways to manipulate a game, find glitches and what not. Is the league going to handle this on a case by case? Cause u know its not gonna ship without glitches and childish ways to destroy a fun league. Just curious.

No Streaming Account
  18. bones56

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we usually spend a few weeks playing the game to learn about these issues and try to address them before the league begins. In addition we have a solid group of sim gamers already in the league, so this shouldn't be an issue.

No Streaming Account
  19. centrall

centrall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    okay good...I was in a cheesy league for 2k6, and it wasn't sim at all. I would love to be in this league, seeing how LG is run it should be pretty great. Also, I think they are adding the minor league affiliates to each organization, are you going to include a minor league season as well if you can?

No Streaming Account
  20. L Bert12

L Bert12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been in the baseball league for two years now and there definitely isnt any cheesers here. All the rules are laid out earlier enough that everyone is well aware of them...

No Streaming Account