running the QB in madden

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by pearson, Jan 9, 2007.

1. edge997

edge997 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I’ve expressed once before how I dislike the term “sim” due to it’s subjectivity, and this thread is a good example why. I’ve seen different figures being thrown out as to what is acceptable. The fact is that Vick AVERAGED near 8 runs per game this season, including games with carries 14, 12, 11, 10, & 10. Young, similarly, had games with attempts of 10, 9, 8, and 8. The complaints of the players here have limited how the owners can use these players. In our league, Young is averaging fewer than 4 carries per game and Vick is UNDER 2. I don’t mean to speak for the owners of the mobile QB’s, but I’d be willing to bet that they limit it to appease the opponents of the “scramble”. People here want to put limits on what certain players can do and that IMO would be just as “unsim” as someone abusing a play.

I feel the same way about other complaints such as the roll out. Did anyone watch the Eagles game this week? Garcia rolled out damn near every play. I’m fine if my opponent starts rolling out. I make adjustments to my D and move on. If they are dropping way back, I make adjustments and move on. If an NFL team can be successful rolling out every time, they’d do it. They don’t because the D usually adjusts to it. IMO, if you’re not making adjustments to the D, then YOU are playing “unsim” and I don’t blame your opponent from playing a certain style.

Anyway, I’m may be in the minority here but I always see the same complains time after time, and I thought I’d throw out another perspective.

I also believe that reliability and general sportsmanship are much, much more important than style of gameplay. Luckily, I haven’t had any problems getting together with my opponents for two seasons, so it all worked out for me so far.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
    No Streaming Account
  2. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Edgle,

I essentially agree with everything you've just said. Unfortunately, b/c this is a video game, the A.I. isn't as smart as their real-life counterparts as thus things happen in the game that you'd be hard pressed to see in a real game. With all that said, I think a lot of the complaints are a result of guys not making adjustments. They become frustrated when their style isn't effective and as a result, they look for excuses to rationalize their lack of success. Rolling out QB's can be defended and there are guys that are successful in stopping it. Bottom line is if people show respect for their fellow opponent and don't have a win at all costs attitude, things like this would never be an issue.

No Streaming Account
  3. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Dbs biting even on 3rd down PA plays can be easily solved with the pass commit. Unfortunately with a team like the Browns I get pressure from either side every play. And it hurts that Charlie Frye is slow as sin.

No Streaming Account
  4. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear you there jcon, bengals are the same way...palmer is soooo slow and the O-Line sucks...thats why I traded them for next season

No Streaming Account
  5. pearson

pearson LG's biggest Titans fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you think now with there being two running QB's in the nfl that coaches will look for them now or still go for great passers like P.Manning and T.Brady

No Streaming Account
  6. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Go for great passers like Manning and Brady. What have Young and Vick done for their teams? Young did decent this year, but he by no means had a jaw dropping season. Vick failed to get his team to the playoffs this year (yes, his WRs suck) and he isn't an awesome, draw dropping player either.

Gajeske85
  7. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You traded them? Like to somebody else or are you going to throw them in the draft? They're my favorite team, thats why I'm asking.

No Streaming Account
  8. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I traded them to someone Else. I would of traded them to you but I wouldn't want the browns lol

No Streaming Account
  9. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I didn't think we were supposed to trade until after the season. I guess I'll have to go for the Dolphins in the draft if Musical doesn't play next season.

No Streaming Account
  10. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I think you're right Jcon...we have to wait until the end of the season to trade.

Back on topic...when I said I tend to be a pocket passer that doesn't mean I don't rollout from time to time. If I had ATL or TEN I would use those QBs to my advantage. I probably wouldn't run 10+ times per game, but I would run enough to make my opponent think about it. Everyone plays this game differently and thats what makes it so much fun. If you want to be great at a game you need to put the time in to know how to stop different players.

I personally don't think the league should put in rules to deter players from using different styles. I do think the cheesy play of dropping back 20 yards then passing should be curbed, but really how many of those players actually win games?

No Streaming Account
  11. BxGngsta

BxGngsta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm not in the league but I do have an opinion. When you play against a team like Titans or Falcons you should always keep in mind that those QB's can make a run for it and it's part of their game. I don't mind playing against running QB's, in matter of fact I find it to be very challenging. Now if you had a QB like, Palmer and all you are trying to do is run for yards, then that's not sim. Doing it with Vick, Young, Culpepper, McNabb, Garcia s/b allowed. Like Edge stated you as the opponent needs to adjust. The same way you adjust when a team is running successful post plays on you.

No Streaming Account
  12. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its also that palmer would never be able to run for + yards...he is a snail. I learned from personal experience. I try to avoid sacks geez, running is the last thing on mind is running with him. :shock: :cool:

No Streaming Account
  13. CrackinBacks

CrackinBacks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I stay in the pocket and see what the d-line does, if they fan out, then I need to step up and let my line try to keep them outside, but pocket presence is a big part of trying to have a good passing game in madden.

No Streaming Account
  14. BxGngsta

BxGngsta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Trust me, in another league I have the Colts and I have scrambled for some first downs with Peyton. It is possible to run, just not for 50 yard gains. :razz:

No Streaming Account
  15. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I have flashbacks of Bernie Kosar when Peyton takes off to run for real. It is UGLY.

No Streaming Account