Hate to post this but.......

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by t_roy, Jul 1, 2004.

1. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You were smart enough to get out while you could [-(

No Streaming Account
  2. TommyNuGuns

TommyNuGuns Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was it my skill that beat 28-1 overall in our series or the computer? Even though your team is rated higher :p

Not to disrespect you or anything but too many people are saying that the computer determines the outcome of every game. I highly doubt it and maybe people should try giving credit where credit is due.

No Streaming Account
  3. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish we could do trades in this game. I'd give up Glavine!

No Streaming Account
  4. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the difficulty level. Just to make more of my point.

My last 6 games

C Lewis 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 7 SO
    R. Rodriguez 7 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 7 SO
    R.A. Dickey 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 6 SO
    Chan Ho Park 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 11 SO
    R. Rodriguez 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 9 SO
    Chan Ho Park 9 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 9 SO

Now.. it should be apparrent that I have figured out how not to hang the ball. These games are against sorry players either. Two of the 3 guys I've played these games against have winning records in the season play. My pitchers suck too!

This wasn't a way to try and pat myself on the back either. It was made to make a point. You need to figure some things out about your team. If you are having problems pitching, work on it until you don't. But saying that you need extra help to get the pitches to keep from hanging is ludricrous (i.e. bumping the skill level).

HINT: The easiest way to make a ball hang is to use full pitching power on a pitch designated for the strike zone with a pitcher who is tired. You do this and it is guarenteed to get smashed back in your face and out of the park.

Play ball!

*edit* it should also be noted that it took me about 100 games to get what I need to do down. I didn't just play a dozen games and figure it out. You HAVE to practice with your pitchers.

5. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep throwing balls 3/4 pitches made it a blast to play. And if you think it was my fault that my team couldn't catch a god damn ball then yes keep telling yourself you're the best :wink: .

And yes I know that I'm not good at this game, I guess I just feel guilty when I don't ever throw strikes.

No Streaming Account
  6. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more.

7. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. I think Pro is pretty lame. The random errors, the fact that the pitcher can't find the ball when it is hit back at him, having to be on your toes for every pop fly.

Good thing I was paying attention last night. MP bounced one of of Cameron's head and then he caught it!

I play offline on All Star and you don't see the same "silliness."

No Streaming Account
  8. TommyNuGuns

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im not saying I'm the best. What you are saying is ridiculous though. If I'm pitching alot of balls then don't swing at them. Nobody is forcing you too. Your right I scored 28 runs because of dropped balls. I believe in the first game I had 2 errors and you had none and I won 4-1.

No Streaming Account
  9. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not having any issues pitching. If you look at the league stats and team's ERA's, our stats are actually BELOW the real numbers. There are 18 teams with sub-4.00 TEAM ERA's, while in real MLB there are just 8 teams right now with sub-4.00 ERA's:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teampit&league=mlb

In real MLB, there are zero teams under 3.70 ERA for their team. Our league has 14 teams under 3.70, 7 that are under 3.00, and one that is at 1.10.

What we need is worse pitching actually. More hanging curves and more missed spots.

No Streaming Account
  10. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Hate to post thi

Im pretty sure as long as you change your rotation before the start of the week then it's ok. You cannot change your rotaion in the middle of a week. I just put Chacon in for Kennedy but it isn't up on the schedule yet. Im hoping this happens at the end of the week?

No Streaming Account
  11. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I disagree with your disagree! LOL.. Have you ever noticed that when you start getting errors it is because you haven't been playing well. Your players have a confidence level just like the pitchers, if it starts to suffer too much, they will start to make errors. If things start going bad for your team, your team will start to make errors. Maybe it is just on the higher levels of play, your players start with more confidence? I don't know as I have never looked into it.

I love it that you have to be on your toes to catch a pop fly. If you didn't, what kind of fun would that be?

Now it does drive me crazy when a guy boots it and he can't find that ball, but it happens to both teams and it determined by the confidence level of the player more than anything else.

12. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't throw strikes until my opponent learns how to lay off and read pitches. Why throw hittable pitches in the zone if you don't have to? That's the name of the game, what the entire game of baseball itself boils down to, the pitcher and batter duel... in real life and this game. If a pitcher throws junk in the dirt and the hitter chases it, that's not the pitchers fault that the batter had a bad eye. Just like in the hockey league if your opponent continues to play porous defense and is always attempting open ice checks rather than skating backwards to defend and poke check, you can't blame the goalie when that defense gives up 6+ goals in a game all of the time. Typically, it was the fault of the defensemen, who were being controlled by the user not knowing what they were doing. Stuff like that has nothing to do with the ranks of the teams or the ratings, that's just pure user input IMO.

No Streaming Account
  13. TommyNuGuns

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe the starting rotations are locked and stamped. It would be possible to abuse it if people were allowed to change their starting rotations every week.

No Streaming Account
  14. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Never said that you weren't better. The game can't even keep track of errors right then, and like shush posted the fileding on pro sucks balls.

No Streaming Account
  15. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nope, I wouldn't count on it. They stamped the rotation for the season. Remember when they said you could change your rotation before the playoffs? That meant the next time you could possibly change your pitching rotation is after the season and before the playoffs.

Sorry, your pitching rotation will not change on its own. Someone has to run some software to do it and each pitcher has to pitch an equal amount of times as the other pitchers, so I highly doubt you will see the rotation change. It is set in stone as many might say.

16. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Marauders here, I disagree. Pro is fine for online (not offline though, I'll give you that, but playing the CPU offline is a completely different animal.).

Errors should be random though, and as mentioned "should" correspond to the flow of the game, the player's confidence, etc etc. I do like how MVP baseball does their throw meters where you can take risks on throws and power up the meter for a hard throw, but risk throwing it wild. Maybe next year.

However, even without that feature in this game, our number of errors are actually right in line with the real deal. Good fielding teams average an error every other game, while bad fielding teams have an error per game. Our league stats are right around the same.

No Streaming Account
  17. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright, say you do wait for the right pitch. You make clean contact and it's a groundout to first. Then your opponent hits the same pitch and it's a basehit. Can you please explain how that's not computer determined?

No Streaming Account
  18. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The fielding doesn't suck. I've only dropped maybe 3 balls that I should have caught. How hard is it to run into a circle on the field anyway?

19. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check the numbers/averages. The fielding is fine. If you're having trouble fielding the ball and making too many errors, keep practicing, that's all I can say. Check our league's stat page (under hitting) and look at the number of errors for each team. You've had 10 in 8 games, which sounds like alot, but there are quite a few real MLB teams that are close to a 1:1 ratio on games : errors The point is, that more than half the league aren't even seeing one error every other game, so they must be doing something right. It's not that their players are that much better fielders, maybe it has to do with user input???

No Streaming Account
  20. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's easy but when your SS can't catch it even though you're in the circle it starts to suck.

No Streaming Account