Goalies – Game Changer Pre-Event #2

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by jonlol, Mar 2, 2016.

1. RaVen_Phantom_

RaVen_Phantom_ RaVen Phantom

Ratings:
    +88 / 28 / -50
    I believe someone posted this already but.....

• When you come off the post, the animation is slow plus your stuck in the middle even when your holding the left stick all the way left/right.
    • When you have Auto Cover off, when you try and cover the puck your Goalie hugs the post or is stuck in the middle doing a hugging post animation left/right. Then a goal happens after that.
    • When your standing and or sprinting to the puck, your Goalie won't even react to getting the puck. Resulting into a stupid goal that shouldn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
    New_Yorks_Elitist
  2. HolyxRebel

HolyxRebel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure it has been said, but here is what I would like to see considered in NHL 17 for both game wise and goalie wise.

Goalies:

1) When coming off a hug post, the goalie should square up quicker to the puck instead of sticking to the angle you were on the post
    2) Flying poke check should throw your legs into the spread eagle instead of a staking pad animation
    3) Fix getting stuck in a desperation style saves animation after contact or a shot with made save
    4) Players can literally charge the goalie back into the net and no penalties are called, they should nerf the amount of contact that is allowed or have refs call more on this play
    5) The deep pass should be more accurate
    6) Let us build out OWN goalie setup with Skill Points.
    7) Add more masks and pad designs to choose from

Game:

1) Add GM Connected again
    2) Let Defensemen tie up players in front of the net, this creates a more realistic play
    3) Bring in a better hitting engine. Hip checks that work, flipping players into the bench, glass breaking
    4) Bring back customizable Logos and Jerseys in EASHL Clubs instead of using team logos/jerseys
    5) Get rid o set class builds, bring back earning a card and Skill Points to create your own skater

No Streaming Account
  3. steelersfan26

steelersfan26 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    steelersfan26#0
    Ratings:
    +102 / 12 / -21
    One thing I can't stand is making a glove save but your glove ends up in the net calling it a goal, that doesn't happen in real hockey. And goalie interference, come on EA if a skater fucking runs into you and you slide a good distance call it interference for damn sake. Also how about those weak shots that get deflected on net that the goalie apparently can never save or those weak ass shots that the goalie doesn't even react too. Sliding from post to post needs to be a lot faster, when a skater is behind the net trying a wrap, a lot of times the goalie doesnt even stand a chance. Human goalies need the benefit of a doubt when their in good position and the puck still goes in. Last thing if a goalie has a shutout going late in a game don't fuc them and allow a "EA" goal cuz its bullshit.

steelersfan26_
  4. SCHN3ID3RR-24

SCHN3ID3RR-24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    1. The manual pokecheck- This is very underrated and should either be eliminated from the game or the glitches/bugs should be fixed. By that I mean it runs way smoother on certain camera angles (classic/overhead) and totally glitches while using high/low or fixed. I think getting rid of the glitches etc can make this a very important tool for a goaltender.

2. Wraps- They are overpowered and unrealistic. The Goalie is way too slow to slide over to the opposite post majority of the game and even when you predict it your goalie will still freeze in the hugging the post animation the middle of the net.

3. Seperation- A separation in both the builds and player skill should be taken into account. The subpar goalie being rewarded for bad positioning while the experienced goalie being punished by greasy ea goals just so the game can balance itself out is annoying. As for the builds, they should not differentiate from one another by the description in lobbies but shown in actual gameplay.

4. Momentum/ice tilt- too many games where one team is killing the opposing team in every single category of the game but the opposers still manage to get a few greasy goals to win. I'm talking about the 3 goals in 7 shots that hit off your defender or your goalie makes the initial save but gets bumped and the puck falls into the net.

5. Goalie switching to 6th forward one a 6v5 or when there is a delayed penalty. Because the trend for 6s goalies now is to stay in net on delayed calls and the extra attacker aspect of the game has been basically removed cause CPUs are terrible.

No Streaming Account
  5. xWynt3r

xWynt3r Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xWynt3r#2443
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -1
    @jonlol
    Hey Jon and fellow LG'ers,

First I would like to say thanks for taking the time to make such an in depth presentation. It's nice to know that many in the community care about the betterment of the game and personally a position I've loved playing since NHL '09.

I mainly wanted to go over what I've read and offer my input as validation and potential follow-up/additions to the discussion.

Regarding the items that have been 'beaten to death' I wanted to stress some things that I've seen and how I think they can be addressed:
    • Goalie Specific Delay
      • One item that I'm none too thrilled with is Goalie delay on Breakaways. When I'm sitting there attempting to read a shooter and they shoot and I have no mechanism to potentially counter this other than hopefully having the prescience to know where to be before hand or basically being lucky, it doesn't feel "natural". I should be able to anticipate and provide input to match the perceived movements of the skater. More goals go in often than not because I feel I've anticipated the save and the code says that I shouldn't react.
      • How to fix this? - If they want to give the skater a slight advantage.. make it in speed of the goalie, not reaction. Either that or give us back our anticipation stick.
    • Backwards Movement
      • Your Video on the Crouch Stance is awesome and I'd love to see them implement this.
    • Butterfly Sitters
      • Definitely agree that they need to be nerfed, but from a programming standpoint I'm wondering how EA can even achieve this so that it actually punishes the folks who hold down RT for an entire game practically and leaves the more realistic tenders unscathed. I imagine there is a line where EA can differentiate between someone who's butterfly sitting and someone who is using RT to gain a positional advantage, but the question is where does that line get drawn in terms of efficiency/accuracy costs? There could be situations where a goalie is facing rebounds and a lot of traffic and may prefer butterfly over standing for coverage, or perhaps the pressure is in one end more than another by a great margin which causes a more realistic tender to utilize butterfly more often than what might be considered the 'case point' for applying penalties to save accuracy. At any rate I think this issue needs to be addressed delicately so that it targets the offending group properly.
    • Self Screening
      • Actually had this happen to me in a game tonight so this is definitely relevant. Perhaps when the puck is within a certain distance and would be visible to the goalie under normal (looking through their eyes) conditions, make a wireframe of the puck that overlays atop the goalie to show the position.
    As for the glitches, I've definitely experienced all of those with the exception of hugging post in the middle of the net. Also appears there is a new glitch after the most recent update. I'm not sure how to trigger it but the goalie glitches out and ends up practically near the end of their defensive zone and is able to 'teleport' back. I'll try and get video next time I see it.

Topics for Discussion

• Freeskate Behind the Net/Goalie Stick Handling with Puck
      • As some may know, you can hold A(X on PS4) without any other input and free skate behind the net automatically. One issue I've seen with this is that if you retrieve the puck, if you don't continue to hold A when you reach the 'no free skate' zone so to speak, your goalie freezes up and then the input that was supposed to be for skating is now turned into aiming the puck. This has resulted at least a few times of me scoring on my own net. The code for when to stop free skating needs to be made more intelligent to stop issues like this as it also occurs in the crease when the goalie receives the puck on their stick instead of covering up.
    Expectations vs Reality
    On most of the issues stated in this section the selfish part of me wants to say, "If I'm in position and do everything right I should always make the save, damnit!" But the competitive part and realistic part of me thinks that these holes should exist, and how they appear or disappear should depend on the build of the goalie, body composition, user control inputs, and puck physics. If you're a butterfly goalie.. you should have some decent mastery of the butterfly and five hole. If you're a stand-up, you have your own ways of combating this. And if you're hybrid you're somewhere in the middle, etc..

But along with that, I also say that the puck physics need to be worked on as well as collision detection which I'll talk about in the other section. The big takeaway from this section is that I think holes need to exist, but the conditions under which those holes successfully reward goals need to be analyzed.

Post Patch Gameplay
    I haven't experienced much in the way of passes coming directly at my crease so I can't comment on that unfortunately. Goalie Responsiveness is still shaky in when it chooses to respond but seems to be better. I'm also seeing more rebound/kick saves than I had previously.

Some individuals have been complaining about their goalies not reacting to shots like they were before this patch. As well, there's a new glitch as I mentioned in the 'beaten to death' category.

Animation Control
    I definitely think we need better control over our animations, but with the caveat that our inertia/momentum we generate affects how quickly we're able to transition. A 200 lb person gliding across the crease should take some time to slow their momentum in that direction before transitioning the other way.

Camera Relative Controls
    They need to go for goalies... I can't count how many times I've tried to go post to post to stop a wrap and end up at the opposite upper corner of my crease with some winger celebrating behind me. I think left should always mean left for a goalie, especially if that directional movement is simultaneously being called for while hug post is activated.

Goalie Controls
    T-Push is useless.. I can't remember the last time this Animation actually did... -- anything really. I could probably amass a 3 minute clip (if I'm lucky) through all the games I've played (Hundreds of hours) in net where I've actually had players close enough for me to even think about attempting to use that animation/button. Pass moving to RB/R1 might not be a bad thing honestly.. Flip dump for goalie is a very situational thing and I often have less success than when passing on the ice. And on more than one occasion I've accidently double pressed RT when going to save and generated a needless 'rebound'.

Otherwise I like the new control scheme, it allows for precision movement without risking pulling yourself when switching camera angles.

Other
    • Puck Physics
      • These need some work, when a goalie goes to cover and the puck shoots out in front of them there are definite bugs that need to be addressed.
    • Stick Collision Detection
      • Kind of going along with Puck Physics, Stick Collision needs to be a thing. If you try to take a shot and are impeded by another players stick, body, goalie pad, face, whatever.. it needs to stop the animation, halt the sticks momentum, and then modify the puck's physics to account for the opposing force that the stick collided with. That way we don't have skaters sliding goals in through pads or poking pucks in because they poked 'through' the goalie etc.
    • Goalie Types
      • Kind of like how they've modified the strengths and weaknesses of skaters I think they need to take a look at Goalies.. I think each goalie should have some distinct differences in how they play and that for what the builds lack in certain aspects should be able to be compensated by player skill.
    • Defensive Stick
      • Related yet not applicable to G, Defensive Stick for D-Men needs to be improved upon massively and D-Men need to be able to tie up again to help combat against the less elegant rebounds and forced passes that seem to squeak through with no real rhyme or reason.
    • Goalie Screening, Tips, Anticipation, etc.
      • If defensive tie-ups come back.. I think that screening/tips on net could be improved upon as a viable method for generating scoring chances. But with that I'd also like anticipation to definitely return in that case as it would add an element of skill and guesswork into those situations which may either reward the goalie or shooter depending on who is wrong/right etc. Also, if defensive tie ups come back and become viable.. T-Push might actually find a use again if people are crowding the crease to generate screens.
    • Deep Net Positioning and Saves
      • This is one of those situations where it definitely depends on where the shot is coming from.. If it's coming from the goal line or a very close angle to the goal line, these situations I think the goalie should be more aware of their glove hand positioning. If the crease were a protractor.. I'd say... anything > 15 degrees on either side (So between 15 and 175 degrees) should depend on positioning and the shots power etc.
    Overall
    I think goalie is potentially close to being perfected. I don't expect to save everything and good plays and strategic movement of the puck should definitely be rewarded if the player controlling the goalie doesn't react to the situation properly. But I also think on that note that defensively as a whole that Defense needs some TLC to add that final bit of balance. Thank you for the opportunity and if you read all of this, my hat is off to you.

• Like Like x 1
    xWynt3r
  6. RaVen_Phantom_

RaVen_Phantom_ RaVen Phantom

Ratings:
    +88 / 28 / -50
    @jonlol

You said in the other post to put the Goalie Crouch as R3, but what if it could be L3 instead. Think about it, we mainly use the RS for last minute butterfly saves. It would probably be annoying to other people if they wanted to crouch but they slightly move the RS and do a butterfly save.

With the LS, it'll be easier for you to move around and be in crouch at the same time. Maybe there should be an option to toggle crouch as press or hold.

New_Yorks_Elitist
  7. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    I think I suggested mapping it the butterfly trigger as it is a natural progression standing > crouch > butterfly

eashlgoalie
  8. dityboycom

dityboycom I don't agree with you Platinum

Discord:
    dityboycom#4643
    Ratings:
    +367 / 51 / -50
    Hey after my ass whooping last night I remembered another thing they really need to fix. Wrap around attempts do not currently count as shots unless they go into the net. After seeing 10 or 15 of them last night and stopping 8 to 13 of them, it hurt my feelings to see the that 13 to 5 ass whooping only have 22 shots.

• Like Like x 1
    Hockeyinfo33
  9. ZHawk0717

ZHawk0717 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    A lot has been covered but I don't think I've seen mention the amount of blocker saves that get deflected into the net rather than... any other direction.

No Streaming Account
  10. dityboycom

Discord:
    dityboycom#4643
    Ratings:
    +367 / 51 / -50
    Haven't actually seen this.. I think this is a positional problem.

• Like Like x 1
    Hockeyinfo33
  11. jielking

jielking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

No Streaming Account
  12. PNCPark2k1

PNCPark2k1 PNCPark

Discord:
    pncpark2k1#0
    Ratings:
    +25 / 4 / -8
    Pucks put in by D men, why when a D man pokes the puck will the goalie not react. I am not talking about that jack ass D that pokes toward net while your trying to cover, I am referring to a poke in slot that trickles toward net at two miles per hour and your Goalie just misses it even though your right there and had it been OTHER team you would get a save animation. Who touches puck last should have 0 effect on if your goalie goes for the save or not.

Same column, why can D men control puck and stick through the goalie, a problem that doesn't seem to happen with offesnive players.

Pncpark2001
  13. PNCPark2k1

PNCPark2k1 PNCPark

Discord:
    pncpark2k1#0
    Ratings:
    +25 / 4 / -8
    This is 99 % the goalies fault, if your sitting back and not cutting down the angle then when they turn to make the save toward shooter the natural "Deflect toward the corner" motion puts into net. I know it happens to me and is almost always my fault for backing up too much. There is the rare goalie turns 90 degrees from shooter, but this is almost always the fault of the goalie. I suppose the most susceptible is the middle sitting type, as a puck shot from 60 degrees or more of an angle SHOULD have there skate PAST the outside of the post, and I can say I see maybe 40-50% of goalies that ever do this correctly.

Pncpark2001
  14. dityboycom

Discord:
    dityboycom#4643
    Ratings:
    +367 / 51 / -50
    Only time the goalie turns 90 degrees from the shooter is if you're silly enough to not use precision movement.

Hockeyinfo33
  15. Mainoo 37

Mainoo 37 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Yantzer_84#8287
    Ratings:
    +185 / 37 / -30
    Really the only problem I have with goalie is the hugging the post and coming off of the post part of goalie. These controls and movements are sooooo sketchy. Make it more like NHL 15 was. The post game in that game was perfect.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Yantzer84
  16. Bmidg2121

Bmidg2121 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Most of the problems i have with goalie have alread been discussed in this thread. The one thing that really drives me nuts is when a skater goes behind the net and does that super fast wrap around. More often than not, i'll read the wrap coming (mainly because its obvious, it works so why not do it) and as soon as i get over to the other post my goalie comes off the post and there goes the puck into the net. If i'm hugging the post, let my goalie stay on the damn post. Another thing i don't like and we have actually discussed jon, is the non manual desperation saves. If im out of position and i don't use a manual desperation save, then please punish me. I don't need EA making my goalie lay flat on his stomache leaving the whole top part of the net open. I've made a few saves like that and seen many people make saves like that but i still hate that animation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    bmidg2121
  17. SCHN3ID3RR-24

SCHN3ID3RR-24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Post game is horrendous all around, way too many bugs and not smooth at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account