XBOX (no picture but sound)

Discussion in 'Xbox / Xbox 360 Lounge' started by FratBoyFumble, May 17, 2010.

1. CA55lDY

CA55lDY aka HurrMattaCane

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anybody else have the problem where they get sound but no picture. A couple days ago my picture got really sh1tty during an LG game and today when I turned my xbox on all I got was a black screen. So I thought it was the AV cables so i tried both the normal ones and the HD ones on various tvs. I then bought new cables and that didn't do anything. So I registered my xbox online and it says my warranty ran out however IDK if that applies to me since I don't even have red rings. I guessing its shot so just buy a new one?... I had it for the past 4 years never had a problem so it doesn't owe me anything lol

Last edited: May 17, 2010
    No Streaming Account
  2. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account
  3. CA55lDY

CA55lDY aka HurrMattaCane

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha love that site... but ya i read some stuff on it. People said to do the towel trick to purposely overheat it to get the red rings to send it back but it seemed stupid since mine is 4 y.o and according to the site its out of warranty. Guess I'll buy an arcade one tomorrow or something

No Streaming Account
  4. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like your box is buttfuucked with a graphics card issue.

No Streaming Account
  5. Staggzilla

Staggzilla Straight Cash Homie

Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -4
    Ok - - even though I have repaired my box TWICE when it says it is out of warranty - they keep doing it for free. Call those mofos - they will tell you you can do it on computer but tell them you don't have one or some ****.

No Streaming Account
  6. ES0T3RICx

ES0T3RICx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had to pay 100 bucks to get this fixed since it wasnt part of the regular red ring warranty.

No Streaming Account
  7. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine got the 3 rings yesterday. I did quite a bit of research. The towel trick works because you did overheat the crap out of it. The whole problem appears to be the X brackets that hold the heat sync's to the graphics chip and the CPU chip. They don't do a sufficient job, therefore the mother board heats up and starts to warp. When it does, the heat syncs loose contact with the chip and board and it causes an error.

There is a kit you can buy that I found for $2.99. You have to take your xbox completely apart, remove the motherboard, remove the X brackets, clean all of the silicon off of the chips, then put in 5mm screws with some steel washers and nylon washers along with some thermal paste on the chips. Then reinstall the heat sync's and hand tighten. Then heat up the xbox so that the chips start to overheat, then tighten down the screws some more. This will insure that the heat syncs are on the chips and will remain on them when the mother board starts to warp. Then put it all back together again and you should be good to go forever.

The towel trick is only temporary and has varied results. Some people will only have it last a few days, others for a year. So, it is a gamble doing the towel trick and you could really damage something doing it too.

I have to wait for the kit to come in before I can try this stuff out. You can find directions on the net for anywhere between $23 -$30.

Unfortunately, the whole problem is a design problem, so the chances of this happening to everyone is fairly great. The first signs that it is happening is screen freezes, no sound, no picture, or any combination of those.

You can find the exact error code once you have the 3 red lights by pressing the eject button and the reset controller button at the same time. Then read how many lights light up. Do this four times to get your code. All of them lit is a zero. You can then look up those error codes on the net and figure out exactly what the error is.

My warranty was out on mine, so I will take it apart and see if I can fix it. In the mean time, I purchased another arcade system, which sucks, cause I really didn't have the money to do that.

8. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's really too bad that the PS3 lacks so much when it comes to the online because they nailed their console perfectly. Unfortunately for them, MS knew online gaming was the future and jumped in head first.

No Streaming Account
  9. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my kit in today, but I still need to get a couple more things. I think I will put the patient on the operating table tomorrow. The basics of what I am doing can be seen here. Hopefully this fixes it, but since it has no warranty anyway, I can afford to take the chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuIl0kGf7dM&NR=1&feature=fvwp