World Cup discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by Tris10, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW did anyone notice in the pic 4th from the bottom that dude checking out that old Portugese woman's ass? LOL

No Streaming Account
  2. Oranje Macht

Oranje Macht Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can say Baby Ronaldo is a pussy if you want, ill still be on the opposite side though. One of the most talented youngsters at his trait in the world. Brilliant to watch, one of few reasons I watch Man U or Portugal.

France's key to success...just as I said against Spain, Zidane. I wouldn't be surprised to see a France-Germany final. I'm glad to see four unsuspecting teams, instead of the likes of England, Brazil, Argentina, Italy etc.

No Streaming Account
  3. great machine

great machine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, C Ronaldo is one of my favorite players to watch too. Zizou looked incredible and it would be nice for him to finish his WC career playing in the fanal game. I will be rooting for France if it is a Germany-France final. I'm not trying to stir things up but it's funny to me that people always put England in the same class as Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc. England has great talent but they never even make it to the final game of these big tournaments. 1966 is a long time ago.

No Streaming Account
  4. NYEXTREME

NYEXTREME Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean switch sides?

No Streaming Account
  5. great machine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, this thread is about the World Cup. Saying 'people' hate this ethnicity or that ethnicity is pretty harsh. As is the use of the word hate. We are talking about why people dislike a certain soccer team not a certain countries political views. Let's keep it in the context of soccer so this thread isn't hijacked.

Oranje said a reason he didn't like the Italian team because they dive alot. That's a good point they do dive more than some other teams. So why do other people not like the Italian soccer team?

No Streaming Account
  6. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good point gm, were facing issues on the board, just like football is fighting racism across the world.

I put England in the same boat, because they are one of few teams that are favoured everytime the tournament comes around.

No Streaming Account
  7. great machine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ohhh,man!! Italy and Germany was a great game. The commentators said German was playing for Pk's but I didn't think so. The OT was back and forth action and German gave up a spectacular goal from Grosso. The 2nd goal was a product of Germany pushing everyone up to get an equalizer. Italy did hit a post and crossbar early in the 1st OT but Germany had some great chances. It's refreshing when teams don't just kick the ball around waiting for time to expire to just let things be decided on PK's.

No Streaming Account
  8. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Podolski and all of Germany probably wish the goal was about another half of the regular goal length wide...then he would have had the goal off of that header.

Good game by Italy, they were going nuts in Rome after the first goal. Hopefully I can go 1/2 on semi-final picks, I want France in there, France>Portugal.

No Streaming Account
  9. NYEXTREME

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What did i tell you socal i told you well see.

FORZA ITALIA

GOING TO THE FINALS ONCE AGAIN WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  10. NYEXTREME

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Trip to germany $1000, Ticket to see a world cup game $200, Buying your team jersy $100 seeing Christiano Ronaldo cry PRICELESS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Streaming Account
  11. Big Hungry

Big Hungry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Final is now France v. Italy. I guess I'm going to have to root against both. I dislike France, just because it is France. I dislike Italy because they tied the USA. Not going to root for anyone.

No Streaming Account
  12. sseagle

sseagle 48 Seasons...

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have sat on this and stewed long enough.

Someone asked why people hated France and Italy.

A - Nothing I said could be construed as hatred or racism.
    B - World War II - Italy (Axis), Losing the war they killed their leader and switched sides. ITS A JOKE
    C - Honestly, World Cup soccer is supposed to be about your team, the one that represents your country, I know I'm ~*~* enough to root for my country, the USA. It doesn't really matter what people on the internet say, like the signature says, "The internet is for slandering people anonymously"
    D - All soccer teams dive, who cares, so do most hockey teams.
    E - If we aren't gonna talk politics, I'd like to see the US, Bush, and anything else bashing stop. Especially from people that are in no position to talk about the internal workings of a DIFFERENT country.

Now go ahead and rip this one apart...

No Streaming Account
  13. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LMFAO thats the biggest joke I've ever heard!

It least in hockey there is contact, maybe not enough to bring you down, but they still make that contact.

With soccer however, the players don't even touch and they still get a penalty kick.

When was the last time you saw someone in hockey fall pretty much uncontested and complain that it should be a penalty or a penalty shot? Never.

No Streaming Account
  14. Bartlett89

Bartlett89 LG Veteran

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol yeah its true, the only person i have seen dive is when Kovalev did his triple axel against the leafs :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  15. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its the european players who dive. You never see a north american player pull that garbage.

It is because the european players are brought up in soccer first countries. Or so to say that the most popular sport is soccer. They played soccer, and they bring the diving into hockey.

No Streaming Account
  16. great machine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sseagle, you are taking aim at me but not once did I mention you in any of my posts. I just said people were throwing around "i hate the french, i hate the italians" and not giving reasons that pertain to soccer. And I never accused you or anyone else of racism. I actually never even mentioned the word racism until right now. I was just trying to steer the thread away from a big flame-fest. And again, B on your list is irrrelevant to our soccer discussion. What does WWII and Mussolini have to do with the 2006 World Cup? Ahhh, nothing. You want to talk politics and history, thengo for it but why does it need to be addressed in a thread about soccer?

No Streaming Account
  17. sseagle

sseagle 48 Seasons...

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I was addressing the "Italy switching sides" question.

No Streaming Account
  18. Bob Marley

Bob Marley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Whatever. As long as Italy loses I'm happy. GOOO FRANCE.

No Streaming Account
  19. great machine

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you still upset about England? I thought those pictures I posted would have cheered you up. I guess not.

No Streaming Account
  20. Bob Marley

Bob Marley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not upset at all man. Portugal and Italy have always been my most hated teams. lol

No Streaming Account