WJC Week 1 Review

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming World Jr Championship (LGWJC)' started by Lafrenyr, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Lafrenyr

Lafrenyr s46 Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe Winner

Discord:
    lafrenyr#0
    Ratings:
    +402 / 25 / -64
    Whatsup Fellas,

Figured I would turn my free time into something positive-ish and get a weekly write up going for us non playoffs boys.

Just want to say thanks to the staff for putting this on in the offseason, especially @CJWAGEN28 during his last ride as commish, and @MarinoX84 who believed in @xSniizz and I, @Heinz13 stinks. WJC really is a good tool for generating new owners and giving them experience. Last WJC @xSniizz and I were new to owning after finishing the season on that disaster of a Victoriaville team. We were determined to provide a positive experience for guys, and since we were both relatively new to LG, we really started pretty fresh with a team, taking guys we dont personally know in the draft and making new connections.

There were a few experienced guys on that Sweden team in S17 of WJC that have helped us get to where we are now, such as @Swizz Wrld and @Koala T Bear. We had a terrible regular season but were able to upset the 3 seed in 5 games in the first round. Valuable lessons were learned and those helped us to achieve relative success in our first season as management in the CHL, and now continuing that into our second season of WJC.

With that said, @Bicktacular and I put together a little rundown of how this season is playing out so far, I put together the team breakdowns and Bick put together his top Studs and Duds at each position so far this WJC.

I wish the best of luck to all participants going forward.

S18 WJC Team Breakdowns According to Standings After Week 1:

1) Japan: 8-1-0, 16pts

Currently tied for first with the Swiss, I am not surprised by the success of this team. We put together a mix of guys with chemistry and adding in a little extra power to each group of forwards, and we have 3 strong D pairings I am confident with in front of our tendies against any line in this tournament. Ch4rlo and I really came out strong and we hope to keep the success rolling into Week 2.

2) Switzerland: 8-1-0, 16pts

I don’t think anybody is surprised here with how this team is doing. Roch bringing on reigning Gold Medalists Malkin and Boqvist had this team off to a hot start even before an excellent draft. I think this team was everyone’s #1 team before the week started and they showed it after rebounding from a tough first game against South Korea.

3) Germany: 6-3-0, 12pts

A bit of a surprise considering how teams were shaping up after the draft, but Lagsak and Virtsak once again proving they can build a good team, bringing back Architect from Prince George was a big get for them, expect him and Skone to keep putting up big numbers. Going to be interesting to see how their third line plays this week, which was set back from an ineligible draft pick.

4) Denmark: 5-2-2, 12pts

It seems one of Denmarks players was caught leaving the bubble and transmitted 2ndTag-19 to a few of his teammates, removing 3 forwards from this roster for the rest of the tournament. It will be interesting to see how Saucerman rebuilds from this Catastrophe, maybe he can keep the team in the running despite losing 2 of his best players.

5) Russia: 5-3-1, 11pts

Solid draft lead to a solid outing in the first week, top two lines are scoring well, defense for the most part is holding up. Unfortunately Koller also got a case of the 2ndTag-19 and had his tournament ended early, leaving Russia with a goalie spot to fill off their TC. Goaltending so far leaves something to be desired of for this squad, going to need more than a .763 sv% next week to keep this team above the rest, and 2 wins from Fruit Whoops and Mimico What wouldn’t hurt either.

6) Canada: 5-3-1, 11pts

Led by Ludmers, KNIFEinYOURguts, and Voltage Tacktik, this team has been impressive and pulled out a few big wins against quality opponents. P GUIN91 should be playing 6 games next week, he had an absolute monster 3 OT Win VS South Koreas line led by Val the Rat. Need the third line to pick up a few games this week to keep in the hunt for the playoffs.

7) Slovakia: 4-4-1, 9pts

Boasting a strong forward group, but a defensive core that had Big Cheech on the verge of quitting because he was getting too many breakaways, this team is slotted right where I expected them to be, but they lead the pack of teams with 9 points so they need a big week here to make up ground.

8) South Korea:4-4-1, 9pts

Shocker of the tournament and I do not think that anybody would disagree with me. Starting off they went 3-0 on opening night, then finished it out 1-4-1. What some would consider to be their second line based on the other names on the team, Godon Looch and 007 went 3-0 on opening night with Krauwm and Daggermouth holding up the backend. Their big line of Val the Rat, King Ryne, Damaster, and Riddler went a shocking 0-2-1, with a 3OT loss to Canada where they could not stay out of the box. Goaltending also leaving something to be desired here, with both goalies below .727 sv%. Strong team on the skater side, an investment in a goalie earlier on would have proven wise for this team. Going to need to bounce back to get back into contention.

9) Norway: 4-4-1, 9pts

Another strong team in the 9 Point group. Lots of scoring on multiple lines, strong start to the season with a 21 goal 3-0 opening night, but going 1-4-1 after has them right in the middle of the pack. Need some better goaltending, or a 6-3 split to allow this team to make a push.

10) Austria: 4-4-1, 8 pts

Starting out 4-0, Austria was looking impressive. Finishing 0-5 with their owner posting a .567 sv% is less than ideal to say the least. This team has some talent on it, if they can turn their goaltending situation around, they can make some noise. Look for Chick and Marti to put out a strong performance next week.

11) Slovenia: 4-5-0, 8 pts

Don’t like this roster a lot. Slovenia had the first overall pick and took Skyre, but failed to put a line around him that would set them up for success. Not much else to say here, I do not expect a run from this squad, but prove me wrong.

12) Finland: 4-5-0, 8pts

Possibly the loudest of management groups, this team is scoring a lot of goals. Missing one of their higher picks for the first week in Ducky x6 did not help this team however. Not sure what is up with their situation at tendy, as Legionsloan has come up for 2 games. They were ardent defenders of their #4 ovr pick, Baks, who put up points but only went 1-2. Seems defense is lacking a bit here on paper despite some good names back there, will be interesting to see what they put out next week.

13) Czech Republic: 4-5-0, 8 pts

If you know who was drafting this team, then this roster is not a shock at all. Lots of chemistry here, Rolfy is putting out solid enough numbers for his squad in his LG debut at G. Need GoatDemon to step it up a notch in net as well if this team is going to climb up in the standings at all.

14) USA: 3-6-0, 6 pts

I expected a lot more out of this team after 1 week than 6 points. Initially looking at this roster I liked what they put together, but something is not clicking for this group, they might have the wrong goalie playing 6 games, unless bcormz is only avail for 3. Hopefully the US can pull some wins out and finish respectably.

15) Kazakhstan: 2-6-1, 5pts

A couple strong names on this roster are putting forth weak efforts based on their S37 stats. Team was off to a rough start from the get go when they drafted 7 dmen and 8 forwards. Lets see if they can improve this next week. A couple guys that had excellent CHL seasons that are separated from their linemates are not performing in the way that Kazakhstan needs them to.

16) Sweden: 2-6-1, 5pts

Lots of locker room guys on this roster, I think one too many dmen playing forward really derailed this team. NorthernPride the 5.25 million dollar man continues his struggles without his linemates from s36. Its tough to see Walshy in the shoutbox begging for mercy. Hopefully the Swedes come out swinging this week and steal some wins.

@Bicktacular 's Studs and Duds
    Studs

Architect3109----KNIFEinYOURguts----Crawferd

Lewis x Capaldi------ Saucerman x3

Lafrenyr

LW: @Architect3109 – Germany

3-0-0, 7 goals, 9 assists, +11, 10 TA, 13 INT

Leading all LWs in points with an undefeated week, Architect has also been very involved defensively with strong takeaway and intercept numbers.

C: @KNIFEinYOURguts – Canada

3-0-0, 6 goals, 4 assists, +2, 36 hits, 21 INT

The LG veteran didn’t blow up the scoresheet in week 1, but he’s putting the grinder build to full use with strong physical two-way play along with a very good 56.6% faceoff percentage.

RW: @Crawferd - Norway

3-0-0, 5 goals, 11 assists, +7, 11 TA, 15 INT

Similar to Architect, Crawferd is leading his position group in points while also being a contributor in his own end. With a 55.6% shooting percentage, the only knock would be to see him shoot the puck more.

LD: @Lewis x Capaldi – Switzerland

3-0-0, 0 goals, 7 assists, +9, 19 TA, 27 INT

Lewis had a very strong week on the takeaway and intercept totals while starting the tournament undefeated. The passing percentage leaves something to be desired, but it wasn’t a detriment this week.

RD: @Saucerman x3 – Denmark

3-0-0, 0 goals, 6 assists, +5, 15:08 PP, 33 INT

Saucerman held the puck longer than any other d-man this week, and with a strong passing % to go with one of the better intercept totals in the league for an all-around solid performance.

G: @Lafrenyr – Japan

6-0-0, 1.50 GAA, .894 SV%, 1 SO

6 games, 6 wins, a SV% approaching .900. No complaints here.

Duds

nbeast1----Born in a Storm---- Capitals SC

Damaster----EnjoyingMids

xBishop l30l

LW: @nbeast1 – Sweden

0-3-0, 1 goal, 0 assists, -7, 2 SOG

For a player that’s usually good for around 30 goals and 70 points per year, the lack of points and shots show that nbeast really struggled to get involved in the play during week 1.

C: @Born in a Storm – Kazakhstan

0-3-0, 1 goal, 3 assists, -9, 4 TA, 9 INT

Coming off a 17 win season with Red Deer in S37, Born in a Storm opens up week 1 with a winless performance and concerningly low defensive numbers for a center.

RW: @Capitals SC – Norway

0-3-0, 3 goals, 1 assist, -7, 51.1% passing

Norway has both the stud and dud at RW. Capitals is an interesting draft pick with only 2 career LG games under his belt, and he’s going to need to get that horrid passing percentage up in order to make an impact.

LD: @I Damaster I – South Korea

0-2-1, 0 goals, 1 assist, -3, 14 PIM

The $6 million man somehow managed to surpass his PIM total from 23 LG regular season and playoff games in S37 in only 3 games. We all know Damaster is capable of better weeks, and step 1 is staying out of the box.

RD: @Enjoyingmids – Slovakia

0-2-1, 0 goals, 1 assist, -5, -29 GA/TA

This was honestly the toughest position to find a dud as nobody truly stuck out as having a terrible week, so Mids gets the luck of the draw among the winless RD thanks in part to a high giveaway rate.

G: @xBishop I30I – Austria

1-3-0, 6.47 GAA, .567 SV%

The Austria owner opens up with an absolutely horrific week. Bishop is new to management, and one of the important characteristics of a good manager is knowing when he’s not the answer. We’ll see how many games Bishop gives himself next week if he can’t turn it around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for reading, there are a ton of teams that are still in the hunt with only a few really facing impossible odds at making the playoffs. Lets get a good clean week of hockey in next week and enjoy the offseason before s38 ramps up.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    No Streaming Account
  2. King Ryne

King Ryne Well-Known Member

Discord:
    KingRyne#1762
    Ratings:
    +154 / 12 / -25
    Week 2 review? lol

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    KingRyne
  3. macros73

macros73 Just This Guy

Ratings:
    +2,894 / 218 / -293
    Week 2 Review:

"If the team with an ineligible player lost in overtime, the game would be changed to a regulation loss, and all of the players on the team with the ineligible player will be removed from the stats."

[​IMG]

(didn't include subtitles, they'd just be put to staff vote anyway)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. Lafrenyr

Lafrenyr s46 Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe Winner

Discord:
    lafrenyr#0
    Ratings:
    +402 / 25 / -64
    im too depressed lul

ill do a recap eventually

• Like Like x 1