Turning off the effort meter....

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by killermonkey, Apr 16, 2004.

1. killermonkey

killermonkey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turning off the effo

Last years game did not have the effort meter and I think that I liked it alot better... especially now since you can play online.

I don't like that the effort meter is visible to my opponent... granted you can use it to bluff a certain type of pitch... (maxing out a change up, masking it as a fast ball... etc....) But how realistic is this thing?

I think that I would prefer to read the pitch... the pitch and nothing but the pitch and not have to play stupid little reindeer games with the effort meter.

Anybody play with this turned off yet? I haven't... but I will...

I believe that you can still control the effort of the pitch by how long you hold the button down when delivering the pitch.

No Streaming Account
  2. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I don't really pay too much attention to the effort meter when I am batting. I usually look for the other players tendencies and try to follow those. When I pitch, I like to use it so that I can save my pitcher's arm. I agree that the velocity of the pitches will vary based on the amount of pressure you put on the ball, but I think the effort meter gives you a better gauge as to how much effort you are really using.

No Streaming Account
  3. wawasman

wawasman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the first thing i did was turn off the effort meter, but i was under the impression that when you turn it off, you no longer had to "calculate" how hard or not you were throwing any particular pitch.....i know that i became a million times more effective as a pitcher when i didn't have to look at that thing...maybe its just a placebo effect

No Streaming Account
  4. DeNMaN

DeNMaN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have only played with it on and most of the time I just try focusing on the ball and not the effort meter. But when I am pitching I go for control first and then use the effort to try and get that little extra on a pitch to get a ground out or jam someone for a popup.

I wish it wasn't visible to the hitter but you become a better hitter when you quit paying attention to everything but the ball and the effort meter seems to help command the game better as a pitcher doesn't throw as hard as he can all game long unless it is like a short reliever/closer.

Might give a couple games a try and see how it is but I think it will take a little bit out of the game without it.

No Streaming Account
  5. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in my opinion it helps both sides. i know as a pitcher i like to mask my off speed stuff by maxing out the effort meter and as a batter i "try" to use it as an indication for when the gas is coming. like i did against you twice the other night kilmo :p

No Streaming Account
  6. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, in my case I hardly use it on the fastball. I mostly use it on breaking pitches because it gives the ball better movement. However, after posting this here for all to see, I may just have to use it on the fastball too now ;)

Oh yeah, I suck at this game so far. Nothing new for me on video games, just thought I'd mention it.

No Streaming Account
  7. killermonkey

killermonkey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree Kev... I use it like you said too... (See original post)

But this just doesn't seem very sim like... it's fine... not a big deal... just kind of bugs me...

I wish the only thing I could see was the pitcher and the ball.

No Streaming Account
  8. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still don't know why the opponent can see this? :shock: If we turn it off does that mean we can't put added juice on the pitch?

No Streaming Account