Media Sub-30 minute NHL trade deadline recap

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Winston Payne, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Winston Payne

Winston Payne Staff Emeritus

Discord:
    winstonpayne_#0
    Ratings:
    +1,188 / 0 / -3
    Seeing literally no media about the NHL trade deadline and having around 30 minutes to kill, I figured I’d throw something up. Disclaimer: I'm sure I missed a bunch of big trades and my takes are always questionable.

Most intriguing trade: :team11: Edmonton Oilers trading for @rickchel:

Rick’s stats and record this season are not impressive, but playing for arguably the worst NHL team this season, one would expect that to change by going to a playoff contender in weeks 7-9. Edmonton was also able to convince him to take GM to make the cap hit work. On the surface, trading away @Dirts seems to be a somewhat fair swap, until one realizes his numbers were inflated from playing with @Barzy x 13 in SJS. @Scannyyy’s limited NHL/AHL experience has not produced strong numbers, but at least he's under a 2-season contract. The real price paid by the Oilers was with their draft picks, giving up Calgary’s and CBJ’s first-rounders (the strong front-runner to be the #1 pick and another pick that’s currently solidly lodged in the top 4). Inexplicably, @Retro vs was sent back to Calgary in a trade later that day; talk about getting one's hopes dashed! Open question for staff: Does a return trade that cruel count as conduct unbecoming against a manager? ;)

Most questionable trade deadline strategies:

:team18: Buffalo Sabres trading for literally nobody:

Not only did Buffalo make no trades during the deadline, they made no NHL-level trades during the entire season (is this a first?). While I'm all for the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, given that Buffalo currently sit 4 points out of a playoff spot and their third line has struggled immensely this season, accumulating just 4 wins, this was probably an extremely questionable decision.

:team2609: CBJ Gaming trading for @a1xFREAKx13, waiving him, and losing him to waivers:
    CBJ trading for A1 Freak & a pick in exchange for CJ was a fair exchange given CBJ's current placement in the standings. Waiving anybody with anything remotely resembling thumbs this late in the season is a massive gamble and it predictably failed to pay off here. In the end, CBJ ended up with a bad draft pick and their farm system will be forced to produce ECU forwards for 3 weeks, or they'll need to call somebody up.

Most enigmatic trade: :team8: Colorado Avalanche trading away @Hullzeh and a pick for @aHuff21
    As somebody not looped into the behind-the-scenes situation in Colorado but familiar with the players involved, one can only assume this trade was done for locker room purposes given that Hullzeh was 15-1 with Colorado, cheaper than Huff, and has a noticeably better track record on the sticks. Huff is not bad and is a good pure goal-scorer, but this is still a head-scratching move.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    winstonpayne_
  2. Dirts

Dirts Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dirts.#0
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -3
    context: i had led the team by 5 points after week 3. extremely inflated just because you’ve never seen me play or heard of me is a bit of a drag

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Winston Payne

Winston Payne Staff Emeritus

Discord:
    winstonpayne_#0
    Ratings:
    +1,188 / 0 / -3
    I'll tone myself down edit out the word "extremely" out, fair point. I did see you play once and you stomped on us (credit where it's due). ;)

That said, with limited time to do the write-up and limited knowledge of some of the players involved, I reported on what on I could see. Going from 7-1-1 w/30 points in 9 games playing with Barzy (a known quantity with some of the best thumbs in LG) to 2-5-0 w/6 points in 7 playing with Silky (a known quantity who is not known to carry lines) is a large swing. That plus your S44 stats suggested to me as the uninformed outsider that Barzy played a big role in your success thus far.

winstonpayne_
  4. DekeoIogist

DekeoIogist Chirp a Day keeps a Shitter away

Discord:
    Deke#6969
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 242 / -251
    I thought for sure I would be getting roasted for making no deadline moves being in the gauntlet that we call the metro division! Thank you for sparing my feelings good write up wish we had more

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. Dirts

Dirts Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dirts.#0
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -3
    all just has to do with playing on a good line with chem. being thrown on random lines with 0 chem together or lines that haven’t been good while every other line has chem and like u said silky is not known for it, not much i can do. if you put any top player in the game on an average or below average line they’re struggling

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account