Re-Instateing the Draft

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Latdogg, Apr 20, 2004.

1. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well anyways I don't see why we would need a draft unless we are wanting to take over the entire world.

No Streaming Account
  2. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, I just think it is ~*~*, we have more than enuf troops anyways, and they shouldn't take people that would rather go to college and make them go into war.

No Streaming Account
  3. King Kobra

King Kobra Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure I should even voice my opinion on this topic, especially since this is a very hypothetical topic to say the least. (I highly doubt this will even happen 95% sure) I am not trying to slam anyone who posted above, but felt obligated to provide my viewpoint as it is different than what I have read above, and maybe hope to bring light of why I feel like I do and hopefully persuade those that feel otherwise to at least think about it it further.

I find it somewhat disturbing that young men (I assume those that posted above are fairly young) possibly do not understand or comprehend the importance of freedom and the cost of it. Those that served before us and continue to serve made great sacrifices so we continue to ensure our life style as we know and have it today. I fnd it very disheartening that american citizens would even consider moving to Canada to avoid having to serve our country whether they believe or understand the cause.

Some times I feel we are too comfortable and don't appreciate our freedoms and generally take it for granted. It seems we have become a "its all about me society". And to me thats just sad. Especially when many of the publics views on the war are soley based on one-sided liberally based media viewpoints.

I understand we all have our opinions and I really appreciate those that were drafted in previous wars that fought give us the right to voice these opinions. No one including me wants to go to war, but if I am called to deploy I will gladly steup up to the plate with no reservations what so ever. I feel its the least I could do for this wonderful country we live in.

Thanks for hearing my side.

No Streaming Account
  4. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well said Kobra and i agree. If i was called i would go without hesitation.

Besides, if i moved to Canada i'd have to learn to speak French :D

No Streaming Account
  5. The Destroyer

The Destroyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh really? I haven't had to speak French since Grade 9, so why the heck would you need to learn French to come to Canada... seriously? You americans sometimes. [-(

No Streaming Account
  6. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just teasing. You guys are so sensitive :D

No Streaming Account
  7. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    You'll need a warm jacket too, it gets cold in our egloo's!

8. King Kobra

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I picked up on that it was a joke.

But what's not funny is the fact that if those that didn't volunteer or get drafted in WWII Us Americans would probably be speaking German right now, and I quite possibly the Canedians as well.

No Streaming Account
  9. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But this is present day and there is no need for a draft with all the soldiers we have already and our advanced technology.

No Streaming Account
  10. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if thats true MP. Alot of the people fighting over in Iraq are Guardsmen.

Plus more troops would mean everyone would spend less time over there, instead of the long tours they are doing now.

I hope it doesnt happen though.

No Streaming Account
  11. King Kobra

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MP that statement may seem true on the surface but if you knew the retention and recruitment rates that are happening right now, you would see why this was even brought up in the first place.

Drake is absolutely correct to say that many of the units currently overseas are infact Guardsman and Reserves because after the cold war ended many Active Duty bases were closed and they are seeing it may be cheaper to use Guardsmen and Reserves to fill the gap. That is until rentention and recruitment takes a hit there as well. See the fact is all of us Guard and Reserve actually volunteer and sign up. We were not drafted. We do not look to be deployed at all but understand it is always a valid possibility, and accept it if called.

I am Active Duty working at a guard so i understand and see both sides of the house and see the amount of people that have been deployed that are guard and Reserve. So I do know what I am talking about here.

It really amazes me to see all of those that have not served or have no desire to serve their Country if called upon to help protect the freedoms that we all enjoy. Many of our parents and grandparents that got drafted didn't get to make the choice to serve for themselves, but they are the ones that ultimately paid the price and secured the liberties and rights that we have today.

Many do not understand the war on terror and don't understand what it takes to fight it. That is until it hits home. Remember 9-11?

No Streaming Account
  12. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I do respect what all the veterans have done for us. However I don't consider marching into other countries because someone has a political agenda to fullfill as being "patriotic". I disagree about the media being Liberal. Yes channels such as CNN are Liberal but there are as many conservative channels (MSNBC) as there are Liberal. Either way most of these "news" channels are just appealing people's emotions and rarely talk about good news or other world affairs. But that's a whole other subject, so back to why I wouldn't serve. Our government/intelligence has such a big head that it thinks it can bully and control the rest of the world. And no we aren't the first to do it (England and France during the 1400's up to the early 1900's). So until a country proposes a direct threat to our country I'll continue to be against invading other smaller less powerful countries to meet our countries' wants/needs. Just out of curiosity, ever wonder why most of the world hates us? My opinion on the matter is because we stick our noses into everyone elses buisness and try to milk both sides to get what's most profitable for the military industrial complex we've built. That is why I would prefer to move to another country (Either Canada or Germany I still have a few years to decide).

PS: If someone was to invade our homeland I would enlist in a heartbeat, I'm just not down with the whole invading smaller countries thing.

No Streaming Account
  13. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was a just cause but how do you connect Iraq with terrorism? Because Saddam was a "bad guy"? It's been proved over and over that he and Osama bin Laden couldn't stand each other. Iraq invades Saudi Arabia (not completely sure but pretty sure it was Saudi Arabia) and bin Laden asks to help aid but is upset when the US is given/takes the task instead. So explain why they would work together, please. Btw, please don't take any of this as an insult to your line of work, I appreciate what you and your fellow troops are doing I'm just a little disallusioned with the cause.

No Streaming Account
  14. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I mean my sister is in the Air Force and I fully understand the situation. I do not though agree with the war in Iraq, I think that we just went over there because Bush wanted to finish what his daddy started, and 9-11 was a "perfect" reason to go over there.

Gajeske85
  15. IndigoVDub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bush shoudn't be your scapegoat. It was the entire government that wanted to go over to Iraq not just him.

No Streaming Account
  16. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I know that, but I dunno if we would have went over there if Gore woulda been elected...

Gajeske85
  17. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank god Gore wasn't elected. But anywho thanks for the info Kobra. I'm just glad that the military probably wouldnt even take me.

No Streaming Account
  18. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Indigo and I have read plenty of books on the Vietnam War written by vets, ie Tim O'Brien, and I have to say that war is hell and is not something that I would want to go through unless it is something that is threatening my freedom. The situation we are in now is much like that of the '70s with Vietnam. Many of the people do not agree with the reasons or the war in Iraq but we are still there. In both world wars there were legitimate reasons to be over there because it was essentially as it was titled, a world war. There is no way that Hitler would've stopped after taking over Europe. That is why many people went and did not skip out on the draft. I totally respect the US and its form of gov't and troops, but what I don't respect is the fact that I would have to go serve it essentially doing a job that another organization should be doing, the UN. The US needs to simply stand back sometimes and wait for the UN to do the job it was set up to do.

If we were threatened on our homeland I would fight to my death, but to simply fulfill the image that we have setup as the US as being the world's peacekeeper, that I will not. If two countries have that much hate for each other there is nothing that will change that with our presence.

No Streaming Account
  19. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I agree to that 100%.

Gajeske85