PSN Pro Series Season 2 - A Season in Review and Look to Season 3

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by frostx17, Dec 23, 2016.

1. frosty l7l

frosty l7l looking for a team

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    I want to start off by congratulating JAM JAM JAM on winning PSN Pro Series Season 2. Last night they defeated Take a Lap 4-1 in a series that was primed to happen from day 1. The majority of JAM have successfully defended their title becoming the undisputed, back to back champions, on PlayStation.

Season 1 Winners:

*** Season 2 Winners: ***

We have made some great strides in Pro Series increasing the number of teams, and the competition in Pro Series from Season 1 to Season 2. While it is expected that issues may arise in any league, we experienced a few specifically that really hurt us. The first was that the season was just too long. When we first started looking at Season 2, we wanted to try and spread games out a little more so you wouldn't have Pro Series games every single night. I opted to go two games per week, which ended up dragging the season out way too long. People lost interest, teams folded, and those that still played ended up forfeiting games.

Moving forward, we are going to look at increasing the games per week to drastically reduce the season time from the current 9 weeks that Season 2 took to complete. This will allow for seasons to progress much faster, and keep people more interested in the event. More games per week keep players active in the game as well outside of Pro Series. Ultimately, the goal is to see new 6's teams form, and increase the depth of solid 6's clubs in the game outside of LG.

It takes a long time to get to the level of play that teams such as JAM are playing at. Unfortunately, the majority of PS4 players do not regularly play 6's, but opt for small games with their clubs. This is something that I personally hate to see. Once you start to regularly play 6's and experience success, playing small games is never the same. Leagues such as LG help expose people to a 6's community larger than any other site out there to date. Many of the clubs in the game are formed directly from sites like ours, and some even become solid competitors. It takes time and effort from the members here in the community to build the 6's club scene, and my hopes are that events such as Pro Series will drive that goal. Having said that, @LG McDonald and I will be speaking over the next week on how to grow Pro Series to the same level as what it has become on Xbox. Things like introducing a "tier" system to separate better clubs from the weaker ones to promote competition will be discussed. Ultimately, the success of the tier system relies on clubs signing up to play. If you are going to be interested in Pro Series... start finding guys now and play the game. Earn your stripes in club, so you can be successful come Pro Series.

I was also pleased to see that we had 4 points separating teams 4-8 this season. To me that says that clubs are starting to catch up to each other, and the skill gap from top to bottom is starting to narrow. When I first came to PlayStation last year at this time, there was a huge gap between clubs that were good, and clubs that just didn't cut it. Fast forward to now, the number of games played versus teams that can't compete has drastically reduced. I would like to say things like LG has helped that greatly. As more people are exposed to 6's, and begin playing regularly, this gap will hopefully continue to narrow. My goal is that we will see a 4 point spread between 8-10 teams next season.

There are a lot of other ideas that we have to improve on the Pro Series brand, and plan to announce those over the next coming weeks. The tentative schedule is to start Season 3 sometime soon after the conclusion of CanAm. This puts the start date roughly the same time as the start date of Season 4 of LGHL. Just a heads up for those wishing to participate, you must be available to play games later at night to participate in Pro Series. Scheduling teams for games is a nightmare when people aren't willing to stay up to play in an event that you pay to be in. We also (as stated above) plan to drastically reduce the season to allow for shorter seasons in an attempt to reduce the number of forfeits.

After Christmas, myself and @LG McDonald plan to go over many other plans to help make this the best event for everyone that plays this game. Keep an eye out for future messages regarding Season 3 details for Pro Series as CanAm progresses. Don't forget to support your country in this best of 25 tournament. It will be one to remember!

- Frost

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    frostx7
  2. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 72 / -110
    Forgot jordan s1