On the Fence about the 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox / Xbox 360 Lounge' started by Shush, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On the Fence about t

You are not alone. I have been going back and forth in my mind if I should buy one. I am trying to counter my "must have everything" persona with reason and logic as to why it would be better to wait a while before purchasing.

What I am hoping happens, is that this thing really does sell out on Tuesday and I can say, "well, it was out of my hands." Here is an interesting article that summarizes what those of us on the fence are thinking.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175860,00.html

No Streaming Account
  2. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    sorry fox news... I can't read that garbage :p

3. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The article is actually from the NY Post. Not saying that's a great rag but it is a good article.

No Streaming Account
  4. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was (still am) on the fence but whats the point in waiting if you know you will get it eventually?

I know im not going to buy a PS3 or a Nintendo and i doubt it will come down signficantly in price to make waiting worth it. Theres more then enough games at launch to keep me happy for a while.

I wont go as far as standing outside a walmart at midnite in 40 degree temps but i will try to get one on Tuesday. Probably ;)

No Streaming Account
  5. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for a game that is a "system seller." I don't see that yet. Even if I do pick it up on Tuesday, I really don't think I'll buy a 360 game. I have not seen or heard anything about MLB 2k6 on the 360. That would be the game to make me buy this console. After that, it would be Halo 3 which is probably a year away.

If you can wait, there's always a possibility of a price drop or, as was the case with the launch Xbox, there's a chance they could have identified a problem (e.g. Thompson drive).

I don't know. I'm with you though Drake. No lines or midnight madness for me.

No Streaming Account
  6. canucks33

canucks33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    although im an avid gamer, i dont see myself lining at the wee hours with temperature in 40's to get "a chance" of having a console. although i want some of the 360 games such as elder scroll IV, but since its not available at launch, nothing really motivate me to lineup. ill let you guys give us details about the new system, then ill decide whether im going to get it on january. but i will get the system, the only question is when.

No Streaming Account
  7. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I'm right there with you fellas. There's nothing on the 360 that I absolutely can't live without. I'm going to wait until the spring and then re-evaluate the situation. For now I'm cool with my XBOX.

No Streaming Account
  8. Sylentman

Sylentman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am with you. XBOX 360 does not get me there with lack of games that will come out. I am waiting until Spring or the price drops. I am very happy with my XBOX.

No Streaming Account
  9. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    i know there's a lot of guys talking about the 360 price drop. VA was telling me he was going to wait til jan for the first price drop, and Sylentman just said he'll wait til spring.

My question is where are you guys getting this information there is going to be this phontom "price drop". If you think ms will cut the price in the first 2,3 or 6 months of bringing their product to market then you might be surprised

10. Sylentman

Sylentman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not know when the price drops, but we have our eyes to watch for the price. Once we find out more, we should post it around here.

No Streaming Account
  11. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Xbox Price History

11/15/01 $299.99
    05/15/02 $199.99
    05/15/03 $179.99
    03/31/04 $149.99

There's no guarantee the 360 will follow a similar path but I am willing to bet market conditions will be consumer friendly.

No Streaming Account
  12. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like Tris10 said, don't expect a price drop so soon. "Maybe" a year from now, and only if the PS3 is released in time for the '06 holiday season.

I'm not excited about these launch games either, but I know there ARE some games in the pipeline that I'm very excited about (GR: AW, Forza 2, Top Spin 2, MVP NCAA 2006, etc).

No way in hell is the console going to drop in price before the new GR comes out in a few months, and that game IS a system seller (for me)... so I figure I'll try and get one now and enjoy it in the meantime. Sure, the games are $60 and perhaps marginal at best, but I can play them for a couple months and dump them for $40-45 on eBay.

No Streaming Account
  13. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think alot of it will depend on the PS3 and when it actually hits the shelves. Like you said, there's no guarantee that the 360 will follow a similar path.

The huge dip at 6 months was used to help create more users for the Xbox Live launch that you don't this time around. Live is a known commodity. Also, it was a start-up console for Microsoft, they were doing anything and everything to get people to try their new console and potentially convert over from the PS2.

4yrs later, they have a solid foundation of Xbox users and with the PS3 not going to have an online service like Live, it's certainly not the same marketplace that it was in 2001/2002 for Microsoft and Xbox.

No Streaming Account
  14. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, that price drop came two days after Sony dropped the price of the PS2. Nintendo followed suit as well.

No Streaming Account
  15. canucks33

canucks33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how i love free-market enterperise...... :laugh: jk

No Streaming Account
  16. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That too, of course. :wink: Noone wants to be the most expensive console in town.

Did I read that the PS3 is rumored to be $369 or something? I'm sure the 360 will take a nice dip around it's release, but that's still unknown at this point as well, I think.

No Streaming Account
  17. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Am i the only one that thinks we won't see ps3 this spring?

18. Conner McCloud

Conner McCloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Am I the only one that is ultimately paranoid about not getting a 360 on Tuesday?

I'm literally going to over to Wal-Mart at 11 AM just to get one at midnight. I wish I was as non-chalant as you guys, my production at work has dropped like a rock this week due to the anticipation.

No Streaming Account
  19. Jman

Jman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, the NY Post could write the same article some months down the road for the PS3.

These two systems are going to help drive the conversion for HD entertainment in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada...and I guess you could say the world.

The launch lineup is does not have the "Halo" factor in it but overall the lineup is fairly solid. Most of the genres are covered and the Feb/Mar games, if release dates do not change, should add some solid exciting games to the library.

For me...I am getting the system on Tuesday. I am happy with my Xbox but I know I will pick the 360 up anyways so I might as well enjoy some HD games sooner than later. The thing for me is that Sony does not care for the developers or gamers as much as MS. I do not get the impression that they talk to developers or gamers when they plan for a system. Sony thinks that it can live off of it's name alone...and the truth is they can. But the competition is heating up and it is good for us! I also get the impression that Sony's plan is poor. I have read several articles during the last few weeks where analyst feel like Sony does not have it together. That is bad business for them. I know they will come out smelling like a rose in the end...but not at my CASA.

I guess that I choose to play and not sit on the sidelines. :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  20. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, what are you going to do there for 13 hours?

No Streaming Account