Management Handbook

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by SweeT 9 LoU 84, Jun 13, 2015.

1. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    With Season 21 kicking off last night with the draft and a lot of new management stepping in to help fill the void for this upcoming summer i decided it might be a good idea to give a little bit of Management advice. I messaged a number of long time successful managers since the merger to LG in S17 and gathered their opinions on some topics along with a number of my own. Here is sort of a management guide we came up with to help some of the new management and long time unsuccessful or mediocre success. (standings wise, no offense anyone who does management does a great job just in dealing with players, league officials, rules, taking stats, setting lines, everything). We came up with this list to hopefully help everyone out both managers and players, in order to have a smooth season and to not have players get banned for the first season heading into xbox one .

BIDDING
    1.) Have a plan going into bidding

2.) Talk to the players you want to bid on, see if they are interested and if not ask them what you can do to make them, some players are dickheads, ( and could just say no but do you really want those players on your team anyways) but a lot are not and will be willing to play if you're willing to bring in some people they like to, want to play with

3.) Finances - have your cap straightened out, where do you want to spend money maybe throw total values onto each line.

4.) You may get guys that play together, but its tough to keep the same lines throughout a whole week especially in summer, so try and get guys that can play with everyone.

5.) Multiple position players can be key, someone who can play both sides on D or all 3 FWD spots

6.) NEVER spend too much on Goalies (2M-3M total seemed to be the agreed upon number)

7.) Don't put too much on one player as it can cripple the rest of your team (6M/7M seemed to be the agrees upon number) (hopefully this will keep new owners from bidding too much on one player and not handcuff owners and the player into being traded)

8.) Bidding up players bc you know your div opponent or someone you don't like wants them (i don't do this but i know a lot of people do, its dick, but then we wonder why salaries are so inflated, i understand not letting steals go for 500K/1M)

9.) Bidding on a guy you really want no matter how high he goes, sometimes its better to let them go for a lower price so you can trade for them down the road

10.) When to place a bid - with the 18 hour bid timer still in place, hopefully they change it to 12

AHL BIDDING
    1.) Bidding up guys who signed up late this seems to be a big thing and i think it is mostly the NHL owners who do it. I know you don't want to let them go as a steal but bidding up a 2M/3M NHL player to upwards of 7M/8M is crazy

2.) This is where you find the real steals, 500K-2M guys

3.) Having good ECUs is key, work with your AHL owner to let you pick at least (if not a whole line) 1 FWD 1 D and 1 G so you know you have reliable ECUs when/if needed.

4.) Work with your AHL GMs/AGMs, i know its their team, but don't give them all the control and at the same time don't you try and do everything.

5.) Jump on those late sign ups who go to TCs, those can be a big difference maker in a season if you get someone very good and can make a TC trade for them

6.) Add all of your TC players to your friends list (tris new xbox live system helps with this)

COMMUNICATION

*These things make everyone feel apart of the team instead of just getting of for 3 games a week (1-3)
    1.) GroupMe, WhatsAPP, KIK are all much better options than the LG team chat. They are also free for canada and US

2.) Using these makes late line changes and getting people together for club much simpler.

3.) Playing club together, this is a good way to be able to play with more people than just your normal line incase things ever come up

4) Add your ECU players to your friends list (NHL add AHL), (AHL add TC), Tris new system helps with this

MANAGEMENT COMMUNICATION
    1.) ANSWER ALL PMS from other managers. Even if they are a joke offer for a trade, its better to tell them no thanks not looking to move him or not even close then to completely ignore them. This puts a bad taste in some managers mouth, you may not have to agree of things, but should always respect each other

2.) Arguments in management threads - These seem to happen and at times are entertaining and are called for, but theres other instances where it happens in the trade thread or is never let go and continually keeps being brought up which can be annoying and a burden on other managers.

3.) Direction of the team - This seems to be a small issue that has happened the last few seasons when players take GM spots in order to not go into bidding, but say they don't want anything to do with trades and management stuff. I think its important to ask your GM and AGM their opinion on all moves before making them

CATERING TO PLAYERS
    1.) Tell everyone on your team that if they want a trade just to let you know and you will move them, don't make him use his request, that way you can shop him and possibly find a better deal than if people know he requested one.

2.) Ask player what you can do in order for you to get him to stay (change lines, bring new guys in etc)

3.)Trading within conference isn't always the best idea if you have a shot at making playoffs

4.) Arguments after losses, get involved, settle everyone down and don't be afraid to shop someone who is a problem if its effecting the whole team, but don't allays have that be your first move. A lot of times people will calm down the next day and get over it. Sometimes just switching them lines and not playing them together could be the difference.

5.) Issuing strikes - I do not do this at all, i think i did it once ever to desrosier bc he kept no showing and not telling me. If people can't make it but contact you even if its last second you shouldn't make a big deal about it and cause any animosity amongst the team. You have ECUs for a reason

WAIVING PLAYERS
    This should be your last option, you can always move someone for something, even if its just a draft pick, something is always better than nothing. (guess this doesn't apply this season though)

COMPENSATION
    I dunno this is still fucked in my opinion, the only thing i can say is reverse the trades and i know that still doesn't happen every time and creates a rift among management and teams and creates a lot of drama.

CHATBOX
    I like to keep my players out of the forums and chat box as much as possible. The GroupMe seems to help with this a lot, but it is inevitable that they will use them so try to keep them somewhat under control. So many players have made a bad name for themselves by getting in arguments, talking shit or trolling people and while it is good for rivalries amongst teams, it is bad for the site and the league.

RULES
    LEARN THEM. This is something we have all had to deal with or had go against us at some point, especially early on in your management career. A lot of managers will do whatever it takes to win or get a game overturned. I am not a big rule stickler, and you can bitch and complain about it, but the rules are there for a reason so you cannot dispute them, no matter how valid the argument may be.
    *The worst is when it happens to you and then you start doing it back Bc someone else did it, create a lot of bad blood and more teams and players hating each other or arguing in the CB and Forums

FOLLOW THE BASIC RULES
    3 Games a week max for skater
    6 games a week max for Goalie
    1 game a week max for ECUs
    No Boardplay (unless behind own net)

LAGOUTS
    *Always send a private chat to opposing team or in the lobby chat box about who's taking penalty and the time

If opponent player lags out, quit out at the end of the period, grab stats, restart, opposing team take a delay of Game penalty at start of game (if its playoffs you should run it down to the exact period to get that last real time minute in)
    If Goalie lags out, quit out at next stoppage in play, grab stats, restart, team who had lag out win face-off and take delay of game penalty at the time the lagout whistle occurred.

If multi-player lagout occurs, quit out at next stoppage in play, grab stats, restart

Games must be put up by 5minutes (9:05,10:05,11:05) unless conn issues or agreed upon by managers (most will be chill about it if you message them and ask them, but there are some who are dicks and will take the forfeit)

OTHER
    1.) Chemistry at time came trump talent, a lot of us have built good teams with not so big name players by having people that play together a lot or when we acquired them started playing club together a lot. Additionally, as stated by SMP you can build around a top player with other guys that play together Bc most top players who are good guys can and will fit in with anyone

2.) Dont panic if you have a bad week or two and start trading everyone, wait for the right trade
    (At the same time, don't be afraid to shake things up if you're doing well, but get an offer that can help your team improve)

3.) Line scrimmages, we usually just play club against each other as we had two D1 club owners on the same team, this seems to help and can also help each other see what some people are doing wrong

4.) DO NOT play OTP or Drop Ins - too many owners do this with their players and it is a bad idea. You are playing against awful competition and most of the time it is against people playing out of position, dicking around, quitting out, not communicating or just not playing their position correctly at all. START A CLUB or make an LG 6s lobby

5.) CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM - this is def one of the hardest things to do. There are some people who ask for it and thats great, but theres others who can't take it and get defensive. Its important to know how to approach a player when people see them doing something wrong continually and want to point it ou but not cause an argument.

6.) Send out the lineups for the upcoming games the day of or the night before. Yes, there is a lineup thread and an app, but some people still do not always check the site and/or app and sometimes people just forget, so its important to do this. It can also help in giving you more time to find an ECU if someone can't make it.

7.) Management Courtesy to other Managers - If a manager asks you for time running late and they have an ECU ready, give them some time to have their guy get. Sometimes, players do not tell managers they are not coming and managers have to scramble to get ECUS, alert the other team and most will be cool about it, but remember we all signed up to play 6s, not to take forfeits but they do have the right to take it and although it is scummy some people will do it, but you can get upset if they do bc its in the rules, but as a common courtesy most managers will not do it, as long as you give them a heads up. Others will do whatever it takes to play and give you as much time as needed bc they only get 3 games a week and they just want to play, no one likes to take a forfeit
    @a violentmidget @arnooney @brandonbramanti @Breaky x 11 @CPT ERBZ420 @DatsyukianxDeke @Facialize @gmac9006@Hamburglar Time @HoNoIzGrenierQC @I2I SNOOPY I3I @iBurnout4Dayz @II xHORTONx II @im just a squid @iTransitions @IXI Ein IXI @J 0 h N x l27l @k4rlsson l65l @l Bolts x 91 l @l Leclerc l97l @l Severson l @l9l Voracek l3l @LeafyTV @LethaLMyke23 @ll SIZZLE ll @lLemieux x l66l @LuckyHound @lX WAGNER lX @Marshosaurus @MCDONALD l19l @Mindfreak38 @Nxgi @o ENDURRANCE o @On3 Tr1ck Pony @oNo Bee x22 @oNo MaV @Piikka Piikka @PivotGivinner @Prowsey8 @Schizostone@shortman148 @SirMikeKnight @SMS Fan 3 @STL Bleeker @swiss97 @TDK95 @The Riddler3 @TheYoungTurks1 @Tiddus@TwistedDreams27 @Vargy x 66 @WillNetsky @Winston Payne @Wonger257 @x Ennis l63l x @x factor 95 @x Golden Aces x @x Oshie 74 x @x Spezza l19l x @xCROSBYx l87l @XIX H E M I XIX @xKillhouse @zBLINDFOLDz @Zolomon x l93l

*Thanks to everyone who helped and pitched in ideas/advice

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 18
    SweeT9LoU84
  2. Vargy

Vargy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 12 / -9
    Good write up and good luck to all teams this season.

vargy66
  3. I Am Wonger

I Am Wonger 2 Time Champion

Discord:
    wonger8214#0
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 36 / -57
    You're just the sweetest Lou :)

No Streaming Account
  4. JJr

JJr Good Day

Discord:
    JJR-#3526
    Ratings:
    +959 / 127 / -178
    You'll need this

• Like Like x 4
    jjfinesse98
  5. Vargy

Vargy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 12 / -9
    Of course Gabby, would've been helpful for you 2 seasons ago and maybe your team wouldn't have choked in Round 2. ;)

vargy66
  6. JJr

JJr Good Day

Discord:
    JJR-#3526
    Ratings:
    +959 / 127 / -178
    Suck this virtual Stanley cup dick ~*~*

jjfinesse98
  7. Vargy

Vargy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 12 / -9
    King ~*~*

vargy66
  8. PardonMyJake

PardonMyJake Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jake.44#0
    Ratings:
    +1,291 / 4 / -14
    Thanks [MENTION=6624]arnooney[/MENTION] really needed some help. He's a subpar strategist

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. lDatsyuk x l13l

lDatsyuk x l13l GG

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1
    You may have a virtual stanley cup but your still 0-1 against me scrub. [MENTION=6562]x JJ o[/MENTION]

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. On3 Tr1ck Pony

On3 Tr1ck Pony Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +158 / 3 / -1
    Great write up but one thing was not necessarily wrong just not fleshed out.

Article II: Section 4.1.3. If a player losses connection, at the end of the period everyone quits out after stats are taken and that player takes the delay of game penalty.
    Article II: Section 4.2.1. If a goalie losses connection, at the next whistle everyone quits out after stats are taken and that team takes the delay of game penalty.
    Article II: Section 4.2.2. If multiple players (regardless of team) lose connection, at the next whistle everyone quits out after stats are taken.

Didn't mean to steal your thunder Lou, just making a correction for those newer managers that haven't memorized the rule book.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  11. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    My fault its different in every league, i wrote this same writeup for another league, must of mixed them up when copy and pasting, thank you sir

• Like Like x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  12. I Am Wonger

I Am Wonger 2 Time Champion

Discord:
    wonger8214#0
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 36 / -57
    how do i thank my own post?

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. JFLuyken

JFLuyken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -5
    This is some high quality content. Great job Lou!

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Blindzy2149

Blindzy2149 :) Im back

Discord:
    blindzy2149#0
    Ratings:
    +146 / 27 / -61
    Nice write up :)

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account