It's Official

Discussion in 'LG2KPark' started by socalguy, Jul 14, 2004.

1. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well guys, Shaq is now a member of the Heat. While it is sad to see him go, and impossible to replace him until Yao Ming gets a bit better, I am glad to see him go. If he didn't want to be here, then we didn't want him.

CLICK HERE FOR STORY FROM ESPN.COM

No Streaming Account
  2. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pretty sad that you have two alltime greats who are probably gonna have to learn the hard way that they need each other to win. Although with Miami gutting there entire team to get shaq despite the lack of centers in the east i think he'll suffer much worse

No Streaming Account
  3. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats true. Now Miami has lost pretty much everybody. Dwayne Wade is all they have left, they already lost Rafer Alston. Come on Lakers. Hurry up and sign Kobe Bryant, then try and get someone else, snag Kenyon Martin for a cheap price from the Nuggets :) Maybe snag Eric Dampier.

No Streaming Account
  4. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Miami still has a pretty good team. They still have Eddie Jones and Wade who are very good players so I would think they will win the division but my Pistons are still going to be the team to beat in the East.

No Streaming Account
  5. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i forgot about eddie jones, problem is they don't have any bulk any more all they have is haslem who is a undersized 4 at best and cant shoot or is agile enough to be a 3. shaq is gonna have a buttload of pressure now to get 20 and 15 each night.

No Streaming Account
  6. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya you got a good point there, if you have no depth your in trouble now a days. I still think they can win that division especially if Martin is gone from the Nets next season which looks very likely to happen soon. That division is pretty week.

No Streaming Account
  7. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    how much does shaq make a year again? about 30 million and he wants a raise?

If you ask me Miami got the short end of this deal.
    3 decent players and a 1st round draft pick and in return they get a guy who shots about 40% at the line and wants a pay raise

8. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    regardless of what he shoots from the line miami gets the most dominating player in the game. and instantly makes them a contender even moreso than lakers. the lakers were only a 500 team without shaq.

No Streaming Account
  9. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, it doesn't matter that he can't make his free throws, he is in the East now, and only plays the Western teams what, 2 times a year each? With that, he will play mainly Eastern teams all year, and name a dominant center in the east? Besides Ben Wallace, there isn't any. Shaq is better than Ben Wallace, and he proved it in the finals, just overall Pistons were better.

No Streaming Account
  10. canucks33

canucks33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    totally agree, look brian (32), odom (24) and butler (24) all have good contribution for the heat and got traded to aging shaq??? yea he dominate very well inside the paint. but to get one aging and loosing guys who can be in the league for another 5-8 years, heheheh. unless miami signed up more players to beef them up, i'd say it will be another :kdet: year!!!

and if kobe will be proven guilty and be going to jail.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: double trouble for lakers.

No Streaming Account
  11. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention L.A. Lakers also got a Future-First Round Draft Pick out of it ;).

As for Kobe going to jail, I don't think it is going to happen. Everything is being found out about this girl, and it is all hurting her more than him...and trial hasn't even started yet.

But, he isn't a Laker yet. It would be funny if he signs with the L.A. Clippers, and then he goes to jail though. I mean, they have gotten rid of a couple good young players (House & Eli) to make cap room, agreed to play 6-12 games at the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim as it is closer to his house. Lol, like I said, would be funny if he signs then goes to jail :).

No Streaming Account
  12. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    doesn't shaq only have a year or so left in his contract anyway? So miami might not even be able to re-sign him, then what?

13. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Miami got the better end of this deal, the main problem with Shaq is that he gets fatigued, but with the number of games that they have in their division, and their division opponents, he will have plenty of time to rest. Odom, Butler, and Brian are all good players, but they all pretty much play the same position, one that can easily be replaced by Shaq, who is bar none, the most dominating force in the NBA. What he is going to be able to do is elevate Jones and Wade to a level of play much higher than the other 3 players could have done. He will allow them to dish the ball inside, which will open up perimeter shots. Shaq is still going to be a dominating force for atleast 3 more years. And I have my money on him winning the MVP this year.

No Streaming Account
  14. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shaq has 2 years left but can opt out after next year. but he has already told the heat he will not opt out.

No Streaming Account
  15. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really, I just heard totally different on the Southern California Sports Report on Fox Sports West. They were showing Shaq talking yesterday, as he loves the media wherever they were based.

They congratulated him on his new move, and wished him the best to begin. Then they started asking him questions about Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson, and the L.A. Lakers. Their last question was will you opt out of your contract come next off-season.

Shaquille's words exactly: "Well, Miami is a great place to play, so was L.A, and Orlando is fun also. But I just can't see myself staying in Florida for another year, so most likely yes."

No Streaming Account
  16. All MiT Kev

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well that is what steven a smith said on espn. who knows but do ya really think they would trade for shaq if they thought he was going to opt out?

No Streaming Account
  17. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Steven A. Smith honestly has no idea what is going on. I know that he is an "analyst", but last year 1 hour before Karl Malone and Gary Payton both agreed to play for the Los Angeles Lakers, Steven A. said that he can confirm neither one was going to play in a Purple and Gold uniform next year. He was wrong. He also said at trade deadline, he could guarantee that Allen Iverson would be on a different team by the end of the deadline, he said that came from management within the Philadelphia 76'ers.

The guy said a few seasons ago, he highly disliked the L.A. Lakers, but then last season, he said they were his favorite team?

Honestly, Kev, I respect what you are trying to say by using your sources, but don't take Steven A. Smith seriously.

As for Shaq, the thing is, they might not of known that he was going to opt out when they traded for him. Plus, having Shaquille O'Neal for one season is better than no seasons ;)

No Streaming Account
  18. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well on his exclusive interview with SC yesterday I must have missed that. But I doubt that he will choose to opt out, he wanted the trade and he agreed on where he was going. He will also get the rest that he has wanted so bad. I think Miami is a very good fit, as from what I heard in the SC interview that he wants to help elevate Wade and Jone's careers. I still think either way you look at it this was the best move for the Heat, they got to keep Wade and Jones and the other three players would make them a decent team, playoff worthly, but not anything that was going to get past the Pistons or Pacers. Now they have just that, someone who can help them to compete with both those teams, regardless of what happened to Shaq in the Finals last year.

No Streaming Account
  19. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but they did lose Lamar Odom and Caron Butler who were both huge parts of their playoff success last season. I didn't mention Brian Grant as he doesn't compare. But anyway, Shaq never agreed to move there, it wasn't up to him, it was up to where the Lakers wanted to send him. Shaq wanted to go to Indiana, but Lakers wouldn't send him there.

No Streaming Account
  20. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He didn't want to go to Indiana?!?!?! Where the heck are you getting this, there he would have to share time with the other O'Neal who is already good enough. Besides look at the two locations? Is Shaq really the kind of person who is going to want to live in Indiana? No way, Miami is the perfect fit for him. I would love to hear where you are getting these ideas.

No Streaming Account