Media Week 1 - Surprises to kick off the season

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by IlFox, Oct 19, 2017.

1. IlFox

IlFox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 25 / -54
    After a long off season, s28 has finally kicked off and already we find ourselves with some interesting stories developing after week 1 of 9. While the East Atlantic was touted as the strongest conference, specifically the Atlantic, there were several surprises after the opening week.

IMO there is 4 major talking points in this conference after week 1: Hartford, Springfield and Providence in the Atlantic ; Toronto in the North.

Two teams I had predicted at the bottom of the pack in their divisions came out swinging; Hartford (3rd) and Toronto (2nd). While they didn’t necessarily put up an amazing week, they did enough to stay ahead of the competition, for now.

On the up!

Toronto :team298: (5-3-1) - While I don’t feel they had the hardest week, it was still a respectable one with Laval, Lehigh Valley, Utica, and Providence standing in their way. That being said, they did lose to 3 of those 4 teams this week. But they came out with a big win against Providence (6-3 W) on Wednesday to close out the week against arguably the strongest line they faced all week. @Black Paperclip seemed to have put in work for this team with 9 goals and 4 assists. Toronto will need him to stay hot if they hope to continue as week 2 has them touring the West Pacific against some strong teams, we will see if they can continue to build off his early success and that win on Wednesday.

Hartford :team314: (5-4-0) - Arguably the biggest surprise after week 1. Hartford got off to a poor start going 0-2 against a strong Lehigh Valley squad and the 14th place Belleville Senators. However they managed to get their footing and put up some wins against 3 of the predicted lower rank teams. What’s interesting here is if they pulled off the win against Toronto and Belleville (2 matchups in which they certainly had a chance in), we could be looking at a 7-2-0 Hartford squad. I don’t think anyone would have predicted these guys in 3rd after the first week. Hats off to them for finishing strong against Hershey and Providence. They will be paying a visit to the West Central next week which was predicted as the weakest division in the AHL. Look for them to try and string together some wins to hold their spot in the Atlantic.

Slow out of the gate

Providence :team352: (3-5-1) - This team was regarded as one of the better teams going into the start of the season. After flying high in pre-season games going 5-0, @SpruceMoose91 , @DatsyukianxDeke , and @Drake0807 ; the boys dropped their 3 games this week, leaving their team 6th in their division and 12th in the East. They seem to have run into some defensive issues as they gave up 6 goals in 2 of their games. Look for them to bounce back next week though, they have too much chemistry to stay cold.

Springfield :team617: (2-7-0) – I am not sure what happened here. While I had them pegged at 3rd in the division, these guys came out flat. Someone needs to wake their FWD’s up because they only managed 14 goals for in their first 9 games. I do however feel they had 6 out of 9 difficult teams to play this week. They managed a win against Rochester and Wilkes Barre Scranton who both put up good weeks. Though I must say it isn’t a good look after week 1 as if I recall correctly, this is one of the only teams I saw ego it up in the chatbox other than Stockton preseason. We will see how they fair against the predicted weakest division in the AHL in week 2 when they visit the West Central.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the Western conference. Week 1 was a little tamer in the West, the Pacific went down almost exactly to my prediction. With Ontario and San Jose at the top; while Tucson, Texas, and San Diego bring up the rear. The bigger surprises of the week are mostly within the Central division, where the talking points are IMO: Colorado, Rockford, and Chicago. But we can’t forget the 11-1 loss for Bakersfield on opening night.

Surprises in the Central

Rockford :team349: (5-3-1) - I had these guys as 7th in the division for my preseason rankings. These guys lost to all of the teams I would have expected them to: Ontario, San Jose, Cleveland, Bakersfield. Yet they pulled off 2 big wins against Manitoba and Colorado, and they made sure to let me know about it in my power rankings post (sorry Moose :sadegg:). While I am impressed with their start, we will see if they can keep it up with another tough week against the Atlantic in week 2. Good luck to you gentleman, I hope you guys can keep sticking it to me.

Colorado :team625: (3-5-1) – After soaring through their first 2 games, it seems someone has clipped their wings. The @Eatchy , @Position banc , @Bryce18xx716 line got them off to a 2-0 start and it was all downhill from there. Running into a good Stockton lineup then facing off against Rockford, San Jose, Ontario, Cleveland, and Manitoba, their depth was put to the test early. I wouldn’t count these guys out though, @eh iTz Horty has a good squad put together and looks to bounce back against the Atlantic next week. Though it’s been mentioned several times that the Atlantic is the toughest division, after week 1, they have the most teams under 10 pts – (5 of them).

Chicago :team395: (2-7-0) – A little too much partying in Vegas for this organization this week it seems. They got off to a slow start despite having a decent looking roster. The good news for Chicago is that it’s only week 1. @C4NADA and @Smitterr were able to salvage a poor week by putting up 2 wins in their final 3 to avoid the week 1 skunk. I can’t imagine they will be at the bottom for too long, but like the rest of the Central, they face off against a power struggling Atlantic division next week. A .500 or above week for them could go a long way to not slip too far behind.

Opening night disaster!

Bakersfield :team515: (5-2-2) - Opening night was far from ideal for @Da Young Buck and the Bakersfield Condors. While we’ve heard their management, among others, discuss their powerhouse defense; they were no where’s to be found on Sunday. After allowing 11 goals in one game, its hard picture what happened unless you were there or watching. The silver lining here is that they were able to bounce back by putting up 5 wins and snagging a couple points in 2 OTL. A good early show of remaining calm under pressure.

Good luck to all in week 2!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 31
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. NotoriousFAT 00

NotoriousFAT 00 Former LG media kingpin, Wine gum lover, LG dad.

Discord:
    NotoriousFAT 00#5853
    Ratings:
    +3,745 / 76 / -124
    Another solid unbiased write up. Good work!

• Like Like x 7
    notoriousfat00
  3. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127
    Hoping a couple tweaks makes a difference. Had some tough games and our lack of chem hurt us when we had to switch things up.

Good write up

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  4. Landy Byng

Landy Byng hockey

Ratings:
    +1,128 / 124 / -181
    You're forgetting one more surprise. @Lyons x 63 managed to not go 0-3 this week

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. Black Paperclip

Black Paperclip Blessed, Next Question

Discord:
    Black paperclip#9105
    Ratings:
    +155 / 35 / -12
    great write up

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    VSGPaperclip
  6. Loki x6x

Loki x6x See Ach El BOG

Discord:
    lokix6x#0
    Ratings:
    +5,000 / 139 / -217
    Nice work, keep it up!!!

Edit : As a manager, I knew a lot of these stories because I’m heavily invested. But it’s well written that any casual player could just get the scoop and important scores and updates.

• Like Like x 1
    Lokix6x
  7. xGabella

xGabella Wheelin N Dealin

Discord:
    gabella19#0
    Ratings:
    +440 / 39 / -18
    Colorado logo is in ECHL section haha

:team625:

Gabella19
  8. IlFox

IlFox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 25 / -54
    I am dumb. Thanks LOL.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  9. C4NADA

C4NADA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    C4NADA#8873
    Ratings:
    +134 / 87 / -113
    rip wolves

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    c4nada
  10. Drake0807

Drake0807 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Drake0807#8529
    Ratings:
    +38 / 3 / -2
    • Like Like x 3
    Drake0807
  11. l HowieDoo l

l HowieDoo l Pylon here!!

Ratings:
    +1,461 / 57 / -75
    Where people like @Dan Hutton belong.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    HowieDoo
  12. macros73

macros73 Just This Guy

Ratings:
    +2,894 / 218 / -293
    Now he can be expected to go 0-3 for the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  13. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 325 / -613
    I would also like to say, that after opening night, Bakersfield only allowed 14 goals in its remaining 7 games as well. I definitely did not start of the season strong but with a strong team effort all around and great fellow goaltending from @Ranger x 28 and @I ltachi l, we were able to pull through in W1.

Great write up though Fox, I like it. Keep it up :)

• Get Good Get Good x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  14. Mats ZuccareIIo

Mats ZuccareIIo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 49 / -36
    Hey, i'm just doing what a good backup should do

• Get Good Get Good x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Jon l10l

Jon l10l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 117 / -139
    You're just trying not to get waived :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    GrosHodor
  16. NotoriousFAT 00

NotoriousFAT 00 Former LG media kingpin, Wine gum lover, LG dad.

Discord:
    NotoriousFAT 00#5853
    Ratings:
    +3,745 / 76 / -124
    IMG_5228.PNG IMG_5228.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    notoriousfat00
  17. l Doopliss l

l Doopliss l Yes. I turned the villagers into pigs. Big deal.

Discord:
    l_doopliss_l#0
    Ratings:
    +199 / 8 / -13
    Talk about Manitobas amazing signing at G

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. KeBrik

KeBrik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 5 / -12
    Yeah Kapper is great

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. meka DVA meka

meka DVA meka Bring Load Management To LG

Ratings:
    +3,475 / 92 / -197
    This is the first positive thing I've seen anyone write about us @Clancy2113 . Please frame this and put in on the fridge.

• Like Like x 2
    Nybarisny
  20. Clancy2113

Clancy2113 POGS IS MY REAL FATHER

Ratings:
    +156 / 15 / -37
    Already ahead of you it's on there!

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account