Pre-Season Ranking Revisited (Halfway Point)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by JClaus33, Nov 19, 2017.

1. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    Hi guys! Been a little while since I posted a thread, but I'm back with an update to my pre-season rankings/positions. This update will consist of how my predictions have gone so far, and why I think things have gone right, or so so wrong for others. Enjoy!

http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/...-season-ranking-of-all-teams-in-tiers.263426/

Here is the original thread, all of the rankings are pulled from the original post and I'm adding thoughts and/or calling myself out for being totally wrong

"Tier 1; The Cream of the Crop:

Chicago Blackhawks
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    Dallas Stars"

So far I don't think anyone would argue too much based on how this season's gone with these 3 remaining here.
    Chicago came out of the gates at a blistering pace, and despite some struggles the last couple weeks, they still are top of the league halfway through, and I expect it to stay that way.

Columbus started off struggling a bit, but has since climbed to the top of their division, and doesn't appear to be slowing down any time soon, though they have recently made a few trades to really shake things up.

Dallas has continued doing Dallas things, and despite them losing their big bidding target due to him quitting in Headshot, their 62 points would be good for first in the eastern conference, and they're just 5 points behind the Hawks for the #1 spot in the league.

Colorado Avalanche
    Los Angeles Kings
    New York Islanders
    Ottawa Senators
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    San Jose Sharks
    Vancouver Canucks
    Vegas Golden Knights"

Again, I don't think any of my picks here have been too far off, just going through these alphabetically.

Colorado; I was hesitant to put them into the Top tier, and they pretty much gave me the finger in that regard, their top line has been dominant, their defensive depth has held up to this point, and they actually hit on a couple of their draft picks. Beefy in his 4th try it seems has put together a true top team, that will make the first round of the playoffs in the central division very interesting.

LA; I think many people said had 0 chance of being contenders, and I was admittedly optimistic in my ranking pre-season, but so far we're hanging in there. Time will tell how the 500k army holds up, but as of now LA is 2nd in the division after a very slow start.

NYI; This may be the only team that I would drop from the contenders category, I think I expected the forwards to be able to drag the team a bit more than they have so far, as having a competent 5 man unit this year is super important. If they can continue touching up on their blue line prior to the deadline, this will be a team that could take a series from any team with the quality of their top 2 forward lines.

Ottawa; Another team I expected to pretty much run away with their division, they just haven't so far. Truthfully though, I think similarly to Florida in Season 3, all this team needs to do is actually make it to the playoffs, because they have the talent to make a run. (Even if they don't have the talent they have the aids)

PIT; Another team I had pegged as a contender that got off to a very slow start, they've had a lot more roster turnover than I expected from a Niner-run team, but I think their team is improved now with their recent acquisition of Sudzy as well, they are very well set up for a big run next season too. They need their French line to win more games, and if they do that, this is a team I would not want to see come playoff time.

SJS; Lost their top 2 wingers, still in a playoff spot. I don't know if this team has the looks of a true contender at this point, but I do expect them to be a playoff team this season, and if their 3rd line can pick it up and win some games they will make it comfortably.

VAN; Their top line has performed well, but I think they'd be wiser to start actually putting that line vs the best teams each week. It's all well and good getting numbers, but if you don't have another line that can beat the top competition, one would typically expect the "top" line to do that. (Avail permitting of course) If they can figure that out, I think they can be a playoff team, but as of now they sit on the outside looking in.

VGK; I knew these guys would be good, they're better than I thought. BJ is proving that having a brain as an owner tends to work out well for you. As of now they're running away with the division and show no signs of stopping.

Anaheim Ducks
    Boston Bruins
    Calgary Flames
    Minnesota Wild
    Montreal Canadiens
    Toronto Maple Leafs

These are teams that I see making the playoffs, but don't see as title contending teams with their current roster."

This is where it gets a little sticky, I had almost been on point with all of my picks to this point, but a few of these picks have ended up just being way off.

ANA; I think this tier still fits them quite well. They traded @Class Act 27 for @jeff0012 and @JCpens22 which I think improves them in an aread they desperately needed help; depth. That being said, unless their "top" line of Sublime-Steiding-Aucoin picks it up down the stretch, I don't see this team being a true threat in the playoffs. *Refers back to this when they knock us out*

BOS; Yeah, these guys are contenders. They came out blistering hot and still stand tops in the east, though they have made a few trades I really didn't understand. As long as @DomSquad100 doesn't totally screw this up, they should contend to be the team out of the east come playoff time.

CGY; Man, this is the first one I was just totally wrong on. I saw a roster similar to VGK, with no real superstars, but good talent pretty much top to bottom, just to a lesser degree. They looked like they were putting it together, and then they fell apart again, ending this past week with a forfeit to LA. (smh) They made a few trades to try and be competitive again, but at 21 points out of a playoff spot, and 6 teams to jump, it might be time to just clean house and try and set up a solid roster for next season.

MIN; They're good, they're imploding, they're good, they're falling apart, no wait they're good again. After going through enough turmoil for a full season within a 2-3 week stretch, they somehow sit in a playoff spot. So long as they don't fall apart again, they should grab a wildcard spot, but I stick to my guns, as I don't see this as a championship caliber roster.

MTL; "Montreal; Lack of quality depth (O and D)" is what I wrote as to why I saw them as a playoff team but no ring, and they've really played into that prediction. There has been no balancing of lines, as their "top line" has been their full game 7 line every game this season, and unless that changes, the team won't be turning around. Their big guys need to play with others and try to maximize their wins each week instead of just playing with each other and getting 2-3 wins each week. Not a winning formula, but at 10 points out, the season is still savable.

TOR; I really like their roster, if their #2 overall pick @OohDat-Twiggle_ can pick it up a bit, they should comfortably be a playoff team. No reason they can't make a run, but I don't see them as a top tier team at the moment.
    Nashville Predators
    New Jersey Devils
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Washington Capitals

These are the teams I see fighting for a playoff spot right near the very end and potentially squeaking in, but I can't see any of them at the end of the season sitting pretty and not worrying come games 75 and on."

Again, it's hard to be spot on with every single team, but I'll be the first to say I was off with my thoughts on a few of these teams.

DET; 25 of their 45 games so far have been decided by one goal, and they've won 9 in overtime. I don't know if they can keep it up with how much of a grind it's been so far, but at the very least this is a playoff team, and now that Devin has some wingers you'd expect things to go a bit smoother. If Devin and Reap can keep bringing wins then there's no reason they can't make a run.

FLA; Total overhaul with the ownership change from @NerdyMamba to @Issa x Geno and @Primetimme they're 12th in the east, but I do think they have a good enough roster to sneak into a playoff spot, and only 7 points out, it could happen in as soon as a week or two. I think the defense could stand to be improved, but many teams share that sentiment.

NSH; Similarly to MIN, a lot of switching from turmoil to good. They currently sit in a playoff spot, and I think the roster @Zubov_x_21 has assembled is good enough to stay there. It will have to be a wildcard spot though cause the central is just too deep at this point. (What's new)

NJD; They were a bubble team to me before the season, they're currently a bubble team, and their roster doesn't lead me to believe that will change too much down the stretch. At least this one I can confidently feel like I was spot on.

PHI; Yeah, they fell apart. Bad fwds, traded their top d man before the season, Owner quit. The Philly curse lives on another season, I should've known better.

WSH;
    Right now they're a bubble team, but hard to say how long that lasts when half the team wants out on any given week. They could still sneak in, but I think my ranking was quite spot on here. They're a bubble team.

Tier 5; Not Happening:

Arizona Coyotes
    Buffalo Sabres
    Carolina Hurricanes
    Edmonton Oilers
    New York Rangers
    St Louis Blues
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Winnipeg Jets

These teams I just can't see a scenario with their current roster where they wind up in a playoff spot. I don't think these teams are without hope (for the most part), but I just can't see a situation with the current squads where any of these teams are playoff bound 10 weeks from now.

ARZ; If I didn't say not happening for VAN, I suppose I shouldn't say not happening for the Yotes, but it is definitely an uphill battle for the Desert Dogs. Some questionable trades in my opinion, but they are currently 10th, which would certainly quantify them as a bubble team.

BUF; This was apparent since the second bidding ended. Crofto has stepped up to help run the team, but they're just too far out of it at this point, it's still not happening.

CAR; Let me just go ahead and eat my crow now, they outperformed my expectations in the first half mightily. They sit 2nd in the weakest division in the league (points wise), and though they've come down to earth in recent weeks, I expect to see them in the dogfight for the playoffs come weeks 8 and 9. I'm glad I was wrong here cause they have some quite likable people on their roster. (Also I love the Hurricanes :) )

EDM; Yeah...this has gone basically as most expected, I'd be interested to see how round 2 goes for @firemike0288 if he gets another shot.

NYR; Such a confusing team, but not much has changed, they have some pretty solid forwards, but their defense is still a mess. They should be sellers at the deadline next week.

STL; Their division is just too tough and their top guys aren't winning enough. Not a very successful combination for winning, I like a lot of the guys on STL, but this team will not be lifting the virtual cup come January.

TBL; Does anyone know if these guys are actually any good or not? Cause I still don't. (@OdessaSteps would probably agree with me there) Regardless, their top draft pick @Briiky- has been very good, their top line started out 10-0 and then they traded the whole line. Who knows where they will finish, but as of now they sit in a playoff spot so I can't say "not happening" for sure here. They've outperformed my expectations, keep it up @ImaDoer3!

WPG; They started very hot, the top line specifically, but since then their season has pretty much gone how I saw it. Their whole team wants off of Polska's wild ride and in the Central division, there's no chance. Pack it up and try again S7.

Ready to Explode; (Teams that could totally blow up)
    Winnipeg
    Washington
    St Louis
    New York Rangers
    Florida
    Detroit
    Arizona
    Los Angeles
    Montreal"

WPG; Yeah, they blew up
    WSH; They're kinda blowing up
    STL; Idk if they've blown up but they're not too good
    NYR; They have totally blown up their roster multiple times now
    FLA; Another team that blew up. Entire roster traded save for 1 or 2 players, they may actually rebound though.
    DET; Nope, they're pretty darn good, won't rule it out just yet though.
    ARZ; The roster may get blown up at the deadline, still TBD
    LA; So far so good, anything can happen though with @Illyfilly at the helm.
    MTL; 2 of their top 3 draft picks (#3 and #4 overall) have already been traded, and the team is publicly calling out the owner all the time in the shoutbox. Not ideal.

"Odds I make it through the whole season: 65%"

I think it's safe to update it to 75% now, maybe? Idk, so far I'm hanging in there. Raise your hand if you're surprised!

I've been doing my best to keep it fresh and give people things to read or further analyze this season, I'll try to keep that coming. Please keep in mind none of this is personal shots or anything towards anyone's character, just my objective thoughts on every team (except mine, I may be a tad biased there.) I'm still learning the new guys, but I'm happy to be back and despite 6's being a shitshow half the time, I've quite enjoyed this season.
    Thanks for reading!
    JClaus33

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 22
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    JClaus33
  2. KyleY12

KyleY12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -16
    My hand is raised

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    KyleY12
  3. OdessaSteps

OdessaSteps I'm still your dad

Ratings:
    +2,691 / 11 / -88
    I agree.

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. xDoer3

xDoer3 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xdoer3#0
    Ratings:
    +1,477 / 34 / -102
    No were not good, third line us pls :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. OdessaSteps

OdessaSteps I'm still your dad

Ratings:
    +2,691 / 11 / -88
    I did last night and we still beat your first...

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  6. Live by S I N

Live by S I N LivebySIN

Discord:
    livebysin#0
    Ratings:
    +168 / 9 / -17
    Yea I'm ready to explode...all over the other teams on the ice ;) ! Ain't ever gonna turn down here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    livebysin
  7. meka DVA meka

meka DVA meka Bring Load Management To LG

Ratings:
    +3,475 / 92 / -197
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Nybarisny
  8. The Broche

The Broche Puck Puck Goose

Discord:
    thebroche#0
    Ratings:
    +131 / 11 / -10
    imo we have a really solid core of 7-8 forwards on NYI, but great write-up nonetheless

• Informative Informative x 1
    Playing In Multiplayer
    TheBrochie
  9. Spray_and_pray_

Spray_and_pray_ Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Spray&Pray#1055
    Ratings:
    +536 / 35 / -62
    Enjoyable read. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    better20yearsago
  10. JClaus33

JClaus33 Josh

Discord:
    JClaus33#0960
    Ratings:
    +4,032 / 68 / -188
    Your forward core is solid almost top to bottom, my point about your top 2 lines was more that they specifically are good enough to compete with any other forward group. Wasn't trying to say your 3rd line is bad, cause you've clearly found success there.

JClaus33
  11. Daddy Marino

Daddy Marino Daddy's Home

Discord:
    Marino#0159
    Ratings:
    +532 / 27 / -102
    we are bad

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    Marino71
  12. Daniel_Heatley

Daniel_Heatley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +623 / 63 / -114
    It's hard being the only guy on the team in red. :(

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. x Viper 94

x Viper 94 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 245 / -212
    Tis rough when the GM schedules you games you can't play

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    ohturbide
  14. SelkeSean

SelkeSean Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SelkeSean#4027
    Ratings:
    +1,103 / 41 / -70
    Pretty spot on about Washington, except that usually it's the whole team that wants out every week, not just half. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    2wayhockey
  15. eZDangles

eZDangles Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +393 / 7 / -16
    <-- $6.5M 3rd liner with 6.5M giveaways @OdessaSteps

• Winner Winner x 1
    eZDangles
  16. ItsJodach

ItsJodach No more west

Ratings:
    +519 / 24 / -53
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    JodachTV
  17. GOAT_Neal

GOAT_Neal GOATstar

Discord:
    GOAT_Neal#9146
    Ratings:
    +618 / 333 / -549
    I think we deserve our own tier

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    NealvsGame
  18. Mr_Invidious

Mr_Invidious Sports Business Professional, Bad eSports Player

Ratings:
    +592 / 3 / -5
    Concerning the scrublords on Long Island, I believe if this team is going anywhere, it's upwards. It was no secret that we couldn't get anything going offensively to begin the season but it's turning itself around.

Week 1 - GF/G: 1.33 -- GA/G: 2.44
    Week 2 - GF/G: 2.00 -- GA/G: 2.55
    Week 3 - GF/G: 2.44 -- GA/G: 2.77
    Week 4 - GF/G: 2.55 -- GA/G: 2.67
    Week 5 - GF/G: 3.44 -- GA/G: 2.33

Do I think we should be considered a top threat in the league, perhaps not necessarily, but I think it might be a bit too easy to start sleeping on this group, especially since we've been getting the "Rico Matchups" all season.

#Grislanders. Enjoyed the write-ups, JClaus.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. ScooTz-10

ScooTz-10 ScooTz#5149

Discord:
    ScooTz#5149
    Ratings:
    +1,263 / 75 / -193
    its safe to say youre all being traded because u lost to dragon, as per spartans stream.

scootz10
  20. isles2791

isles2791 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1
    Go caps

No Streaming Account