NHL 18 roster reset

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Greb, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Should there be a roster reset for NHL 18

1. Yes

206 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Kbsmith37

Kbsmith37 KCS

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 25 / -43
    Right, we get.in these situations every so often. Let's fix our system instead of a easy fix that only last one season then we are back to the same place

• Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. Greb

Greb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 62 / -55
    Reset the rosters and award less contract years right off the bat and don't allow trading of resigns and boom it addresses the issue.

• Winner Winner x 4
    NHLGrebby14
  3. BLicK12

BLicK12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    Ok. Here you go. Bullet proof plan.

1) Make the game good
    2) Pay management and force them to take 3 season contracts in order to maintain consistency and earn the full value of their contract
    3) Revise AGM salaries - I've proposed doing a franchise tag type setup where you average the top 5 salaries of each position that way goalies aren't costing the same as tier 1 forwards
    4) Revise re-signs / contract term.
    5) Make the game gooder

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    BLicK1252
  4. NYGeorge61

NYGeorge61 Curious George

Ratings:
    +275 / 20 / -17
    Great minds think alike!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. Kbsmith37

Kbsmith37 KCS

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 25 / -43
    Ok, now you have created the same problem. Guys will still be resigning on great contracts for future seasons. Once all the players lose their good contracts they don't wanna sign back up. Then bidding inflation hits again.

Now we are basically the exact same position a couple of seasons down the road. Just reset it over and over and over?

No Streaming Account
  6. Po1andsFinest

Po1andsFinest Well-Known Member

Discord:
    po1andsfinest#0
    Ratings:
    +144 / 2 / -3
    For the most part it will always be like that. But you need that balance, even if it's for a season.

Obviously the league needs better management, but you don't have it. So the next best thing for the league is a reset. It at least gives the lower tier owners a chance to form a decent team

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Po1andsfinest
  7. Easy Macaroni

Easy Macaroni Alex

Discord:
    easymacaroni#0
    Ratings:
    +616 / 12 / -8
    I want a reset, it adds excitement to a new season and game, and helps out bidding.

That being said, I do agree that owners should not be punished for having good contracts and building strong rosters.

I think a good middle ground would be to do a reset but allow for 2 protected players on every team that would be under contract for next season. Also, the trading resigns and resigns in general need to be fixed. If you allow 2 protected players along with an Owner, GM, AGM, then you could have 5 out of your 17 players already set. I think that would make people that don't want a reset happy and still give bidding an extra boost and add excitement to the new season.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    EasyMacaroni
  8. Easy Macaroni

Easy Macaroni Alex

Discord:
    easymacaroni#0
    Ratings:
    +616 / 12 / -8
    I think we are seriously overestimating the number of people that don't sign back up because they think their price will be too high. That might happen to some people but not to enough people that it makes a drastic difference. People always say they will quit or wont sign up, but they always come back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    EasyMacaroni
  9. VVaGs82

VVaGs82 Mr Irrelevant

Discord:
    vvags82#0
    Ratings:
    +1,503 / 57 / -72
    What's the difference, new "lower" tier owners will get good players and they will just try and weasel their way off the team to a buddies team by giving terrible availability and not ever giving the managers a chance. If you took all the money in the work right now and spread it out evenly among everyone. The same people who are rich and successful now would get it all back eventually because they know how. Same principle applies here. Roster reset won't fix the issues. Let's stop trying to prevent successful teams from being good, let's try and help bad teams get better. Can't reset roster without notice. Way to unfair for people who drafted well. Teams would've been managed much differently this season. Adjust the resign rule, no trading and/or limit the amount of times a player can be resigned on an original contract, and adjust the re-sign inflation price.

I can't believe this is even a discussion, let's come up with rules for an expansion draft and fix the re-sign rule. Not blow everything up.

• Creative Creative x 1
    wags82
  10. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    yeah we need a reset, it would be impossible to add a new team without a reset. also need to address the issue of trading resigns. personally i want to be an owner next season and it's not gonna happen if i have to take a shitty team with no one on contracts and an even more watered down bidding class.

i know that some owners will be upset but it would really benefit more people in the big picture.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Merle

Merle Your favourite player's favourite player Platinum

Discord:
    Gibby#7847
    Ratings:
    +2,554 / 38 / -91
    I would like to see a reset and a few other things addressed.

Reset would put everyone back to square one with all the contracts for a new game which would potentially attract some people not currently playing (less possibility of a huge contract), and yes it sucks to those have built teams and worked their ass off to get there but some people that also took over bottom feeders dont really have much of a chance. And what happened to having scouting lobbies to find players... now you get maybe 2 or 3 teams pre bidding and they do it more to get their own guys together.

if we arent going to do a reset i think we should at least look at changing some dynamics a few immediate ideas would be dropping to 2 lines (each line playing 4 games as people would still have to sign up for a minimum of 2 dayss), doing something with AGM and or Resigns... a 2nd resign and a selected AGM take 60 desirable players from each bidding, 30 of them being your good budget players or steals (hence resign) and i think that is half the reason you see such inflated contracts and tiny bidding pools for positions (Me JBT JAKE are good examples at D this season).

RFA and Draft need to be looked at again. RFA i dont really even have an idea of how to fix it but maybe reverting back to the old process might be better. Drafting, even when i was drafted in s18 only 10 of those picks were worth their contracts and the rest got buried for multiple seasons bc its not worth having a 2m goalie in most cases among others. Now we get maybe 5 players worth their contract and maybe sneak in another 1 or 2 steals through the 90 picks. Maybe intro more tiers into the draft (quick example 2m for 1-10, 1.75 for 11-20 etc...).

Friday night puck... i really hated how this has been run since the start, i think it was a really good opportunity for all of the leagues that wasn't used properly. Maybe we should think about using it to maybe integrate more of the CHL and ECHL (if thats a thing) into FNP so it could used as a scouting tool as well as exposing some of the people who dont see beyond the CHL what LGHL is actually capable of. I know the idea is basically about trying to win a new sticker every friday night but i feel like we could really use FNP to make this site better.

i have a few other ideas on other things and would be willing to debate or throw ideas around if others are open....

Thanks Sweet Lou for making me wanna write essays like you

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  12. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    the good owners won't leave... they live for it

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. brandovedo

brandovedo Limited Reps Vet

Ratings:
    +872 / 33 / -43
    A roster reset does not stabilize parity and does not make contract prices more accurate to players' actual value. Why? Because the more empty roster spots there are, the more volatile the bidding market is, so the more steals there are. More steals just leads to more overpaid guys later in bidding week. S17 did not have more parity than S27.

Until we have smarter mgmt groups who make less mistakes in bidding and less mistakes in trading, there's no easy way to have less bad teams. The bad teams we have now are due almost entirely to mgmt mistakes made this season, not them being at a disadvantage coming in. Every season good owners turn around franchises no matter how little assets they have to start with.

Resets punish and push away the dedicated try-hard mgmt groups we do have, in at attempt to let bad mgmt off the hook. But the attempt fails to achieve its intended effect. Not having resets is what allows organizations to stabilize and be the kind of teams you'd want to play for, even if they are run by non-elite button pressers.

We just need to increase the resign price scale. And maybe stop allowing the trading of resigns, which was implemented in the AHL this season. These two minor changes alone will make it so it's just as possible to (re)build a team through bidding, regardless of whether there's a reset.

Also it's part of our identity going back to VHL, that our organizations develop their own character and legacies (good or bad) which make our league's history continuous, memorable, and a more legit simulation of the real NHL.

• Like x 7
    • Dumb x 2
    • Get Good x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    brandovedo
  14. Proud Gay Dad

Proud Gay Dad Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Proud Gay Dad#2855
    Ratings:
    +1,255 / 15 / -54
    Tag me next time pussy. I'm the greatest contract in the league.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Sup_Im_Gay
  15. Coach__Drew

Coach__Drew Mr. Fundamentals

Ratings:
    +448 / 80 / -133
    1. Reset

2. Make a Owner selection committee so we can have smart owners of atleast owners with thumbs.

3. Only a NHL Owner and AHL GM to start.

4. Organizational draft. (Snake) Salary based on round you were drafted. Can have a few rounds a night over the course of a week or two. Teams can skip pick if they don't see a player worth the set round salary. (Add compensational picks at end of draft so those teams who skipped picks can fill roster.)

5. Once the draft is complete Onwers can assign GM and AGM positions to anyone on their roster. If they have to have certain managers they can draft them.

This balances out the talent throughout the league. It won't happen tho.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 2
    selke1
  16. hatemakerr

hatemakerr the material girl.

Ratings:
    +435 / 8 / -12
    I thought the big debate and subsequent fix was, allowing the AGM back. People swore that would allow good management to take their friends/good players.

For those saying fix the problem; we tried, and now resigns have broken the league.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    No Streaming Account
  17. Hainers

Hainers Thad Castle

Ratings:
    +344 / 25 / -16
    We gonna bring this up for every new NHL release? Lol

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    xOshie74x
  18. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    Finally a thread I can type a TLDR in for @LFc Tino

We have been discussing this in the mgmt forums and GroupMe for a little while now. It has not been brought up "every year" bc Brodie does not want them. We were forced to do it in 15 bc of the switch to next gen that didn't end up having ESHL, then we had to do it for 16 for the actual console reset. First season of 16 and of every new game is usually the best. No one brought it up last season for 17 bc Brodie made it clear we wouldn't have one

REASONS FOR HAVING A ROSTER RESET
    1.) Adding Vegas (31 teams RIP)

2.) MGMT and BOGs have voted to eliminate trading resigns (which is the right move from a compeititve and parity standpoint but we must reset the rosters to implement it in my opinion)

3.) AGM - get rid of or keep, owners seem to be split

4.) First season of new game, usually brings back some retired players and we can have everyone re-apply to mgmt to hopefully get the best owners possible. This isn't a guarentee BUT if they decide to eliminate the AGM, it will def improve the Owners list as a lot of mgmt teams have "teamed up" recently

PROS AND CONS OF A ROSTER RESET

PROs
    1.) Everyone starts on a level playing field

2.) Bigger Selection for MGMT pool

3.) More people in bidding

4.) Contracts who have been continually resigned will be accurately priced

5.) Contracts who are overpaid will be brought back down to where they should be

6.) Everyone will have a shot at every player in bidding. No new owner will be put way behind already bc of the roster they take over or assets they have

7.) Chance to change the min contract to 1M

8.) Implement the new rules of (no trading resigns) and giving mgmt teams new or more/less contract years to distribute

9.) Add patrity to the league and prevent these "stacked" teams people keep talking about. There's about 5/6 very good teams in the league who can or will win the cup but anything can happen during playoffs.

10.) Eliminate Draft Pick RFA (when your DP contract is up you go into bidding)

11.) Eliminate RFA in general (you change positions you go into bidding)

12.) Re-balance the divisions

13.) Bring some excitement to the league and bidding

CONs
    1.) Established teams (MGMT/Players on good contracts) might be pissed and not come back to make a point (they will bc they enjoy the game, it's a new game and they live for it)

2.) Great contracts will be gone and guys might get a new awful contract overvaluing them (take mgmt if you're one of these guys)

3.) Players currently on DP contracts won't get to play out their 2M DP contract and would head to bidding (Howveer could go for cheaper or for more, again everyone in the same spot)

4.) Draft Picks traded now will be meaningless

5.) Nothing to play for scenario - this could be a big issues as teams out of it might have owners or players not caring and getting banned or FFing bc there's nothing to play for if everything's getting reset. (however, if they stick it out I'm sure Brodie would weigh that onto owner selection next season and players can play and not get banned or just buy out their ban thanks to tris)

In conclusion, a roster reset seems like the best move for the league from a competitive standpoint. However, I am personally against it but I would adjust like most owners do and I know it's better for the league but not essentially better for mgmt teams who have their core in tact and guys who took the time to commit to owning and building their teams the way they want them this season or last.

I have spoken with Brodie and he does not want to do it but knows we might have to. He will not make a decision on it until after the season to prevent some of the things we've seen in the last (FFs, Bans, JayRules and Boz summer cup traidz) It will most likely be put to a vote and I'm sure it will be split and a lot of views and good arguments from both sides.

* I also have been told by Brodie that he is trying to bring some incentives (Free Game/Platinum Account on LG) to ownership to bring back better owners and to just make being an owner more attractive (although I dunno why people wouldn't want to build their own team or pick their teammates compared to taking the risk of being bid on by someone you don't know or have never played with)

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 4
    • Get Good x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  19. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    GOAT there

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Greb

Greb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 62 / -55

Nice post Lou. I like when you break them into sections with numbers and shit

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    NHLGrebby14