NHL 17 Summary of Goalie Changes (to date)

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by jonlol, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    Video summary:

So far the changes to human goalies:

- New movement mechanic:

Precision movement received an upgrade, now we have more control over our smaller movements and speed. If you only push the left stick a certain percentage towards the edge of control that is reflected in your movement. In 16, it's one set distance and speed, we now can feather the LS and even move forward and backwards and a slow pace until we need to move faster.

- New goalie camera:

[​IMG]

- No more camera relative controls! :)

When the camera rotates on high and fixed in nhl 16 your controls are effected by that. If the puck is in the corner and you hit straight Left on the LS or RS you'll go to the top corner of the crease. In 17 now that camera relative controls are gone your goalie will go directly left no matter what way the camera faces.

- Improved butterfly mechanic:

If you are down in butterfly, let go of trigger, and hit it again right away your goalie will drop back down into butterfly whenever you re press the trigger. In 16 you have to wait for your goalie to complete the stand up animation. You can essentially cancel this stand up animation and get back into butterfly right away.

- Shoulder blocking saves:

Now not every save attempt will be a big glove save. If it's going under your armpit a shoulder block save should be initiated. That means there will be a rebound but this should help us more often than not. These can be done against the post as well "post leans." Your goalie will pin himself against the post to seal it off while in butterfly. There is still post hugging but this is an added save for certain scenarios.

- Reverse VH added in to game.

- Custom stances. You can select from a set number of NHL goalie stances for your goalie. Your goalie's stance will also change depending on where the puck is on the ice.

I'm pretty sure that is it so far. I will update it if I'm wrong.

Feel free to ask me anything you want about it. I check the forums periodically so bare with me if I don't get back to you right away.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    eashlgoalie
  2. X1xHeArLeYx2X

X1xHeArLeYx2X Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +259 / 7 / -6
    @jonlol did they finally pick up the puck pickup in front of the net? Its beyond annoying when its sitting right in front of you and you cant pick it up

X1xhearleyx2x
  3. Holtby xl70lx

Holtby xl70lx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 2 / -0
    Great job. My only small gripe with 16 when it came out was the lack of blue position arrow. That was fixed for next year, as well as the fixes to animations.

• Like Like x 1
    imitate214
  4. Vague Being

Vague Being Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0
    I've gotten so used to the crappy camera relative controls it's gonna be hard to go back :(

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  5. Z3R0CR45H

Z3R0CR45H It's been Fun All

Discord:
    Z3R0CR45H#0073
    Ratings:
    +528 / 29 / -37
    WHat is the name of the new goalie camera?
    @jonlol

No Streaming Account
  6. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    Fixed

eashlgoalie
  7. bakesssss

bakesssss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 1 / -1
    @jonlol

Is there any reason why you cant go from being in butterfly to hugging the post without reverse VHing? or having the option of using the old system without the reverse VH?
    thanks

No Streaming Account
  8. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61

I figured out. You have to be holding butterfly and hug post with the left stick held to which ever side you are holding. You will notice your skate goes against the post.

No Streaming Account
  9. bakesssss

Ratings:
    +107 / 1 / -1
    I think you misunderstood my post. I understand how to hug the post. What I'm saying is in the old game you could hug the post paddle down straight from butterfly. Now in this game you have hold rt and then use the rs pointed down. I'm not talking about reverse VH. In talking about post hug paddle down. While i understand I am probably the only one who does this. The option would be nice.

No Streaming Account
  10. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61
    Oh ok. Yeah I been trying to figure it out too.

No Streaming Account
  11. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    @bakesssss If you really want to do that you have to hug the post standing up first, then drop to butterfly, and then go paddle down.

eashlgoalie
  12. bakesssss

Ratings:
    +107 / 1 / -1
    yeah thats my point.. It would make sense if you could override that by pushing the right stick down or something in reverse vh. Obviously, nothings gonna change for me, but it's weird that they would get rid of a mechanic that's been in the game for the last 5/6 games of the series.

Like last game they brought in t pushes and then gave you the option to us precision instead.

No Streaming Account