NHL 17 Beta Review!

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by LG-McDonald, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ilovebruins4

ilovebruins4 The king of nothing

Ratings:
    +17 / 10 / -11
    Xbox one thanks so much

No Streaming Account
  2. i30 GT

i30 GT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 2 / -0
    Any Xbox one codes left?

No Streaming Account
  3. Cleppatron

Cleppatron #29

Ratings:
    +1 / 2 / -2
    The game feels solid for goalies havent seen that since 14 for me. But the thing ive hated so far is the fact you play club and it freezes i have no clue why but its happened more times than i can count. Also feels like some games are always tilted for the other team while yours cant do anything, but then again thats been every nhl ive played. If they kept it this way id be perfectly fine with it. Definately a huge improvement from last year in my opinion.

No Streaming Account
  4. ProbableKoz

ProbableKoz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 11 / -39
    In club it's best to use no logo or just the fonts for the logo and the community rink that they start you with as it seems that either the games don't load for everyone or the game itself just can't load all the information for the new things in club yet.

ProbableKoz
  5. Nutty Grandpa

Nutty Grandpa Well-Known Member

Discord:
    NuttyGrandpa#1009
    Ratings:
    +723 / 15 / -35
    I've enjoyed 17, only annoying issues were the faceoff lag, but that's somewhat tolerable and some glitches in the goalie play, mainly glitching when you hug the post, but otherwise I like the fact that Superman can't skate in the middle of three people and come out the otherside with the puck still in possession. Good until they nerf it to allow superman to once again skate through everyone.

Nutty_Grandpa
  6. cnumartyr85

cnumartyr85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 2 / -8
    Great game.

Few issues, menus are a bit slow. Sets take forever to complete and then open the packs. Super tedious.

Sets would be a bit better if you could send cards to sets instead of to your collection. Then just give me the card immediately rather than opening a pack.

• Like Like x 1
    cnumartyr
  7. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    keep in mind its only a beta ;)
    It also allows EA tech support to better help you as a customer with issues.
    bottom right hand corner of the game says ``work in progress`` be patient

• Winner Winner x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  8. xSlugfest

xSlugfest Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 4 / -9
    At times there are some whacky bounces that lead to shitty goals. Yes it happens, but it's happening too much. One example of this is a goalie will make a save but then the puck just trickles in.

The skating is nice, but needs more precision. I find it hard to stop or slow down without losing control of my guy. And it's very easy for forwards to get by defenders, if a d-man loses half a step. Game should be slowed down a bit.

Overall this is an improved game, it just needs a few tweaks.

• Like Like x 1
    Slugger921
  9. Scheckel29

Scheckel29 IslesGT

Discord:
    scheckel29#0
    Ratings:
    +910 / 7 / -11
    I disagree...I think the game could be sped up a bit. Take a look at videos of NHL 09/10. The game was fast and you had to make quick decisions which lead to mistakes that created more goal opportunities. I would be in favor of making it faster, not slower.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Scheckel29
  10. xWynt3r

xWynt3r Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xWynt3r#2443
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -1
    So far, I've enjoyed the beta and the improvements that have been made thus far.

Goalie from 16 to 17 Beta feels like night and day. I actually feel like I can play the position of Goaltender instead of having to play the game quirks unique to Goaltender. The bounces are still a bit 'unrealistic' but for what I've seen in beta so far, it feels more like hockey than it has in previous years.

To be perfectly honest, NHL 17 has given me both the nostalgia and inspiration that EASHL originally gave me when it debuted in NHL 09.

Great work from both EA Canada and the Game Changers for making this possible.

xWynt3r
  11. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +457 / 1,376 / -1,549
    i agree too much randomness in this game. speed of the game im okay with

ridleywr24cb
  12. cj1823

cj1823 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a extra beta code? I never got an email!

No Streaming Account
  13. x NoDnArB

x NoDnArB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Can I get an Xbox one code please?

No Streaming Account
  14. B0SS of B0SSES

B0SS of B0SSES 99 Daddy

Discord:
    BossofBosses#4174
    Ratings:
    +505 / 11 / -17
    The game fucking blows. Its like NHL 16 with a tuner set that makes shots harder, poke checks more efficient and the goalies make better saves.Other than that its the same clunky piece of shit game with awful skating animations, brutal passing and terrible puck pick ups. Speed the fucking game up revamp the older engines that actually worked and then maybe it'll actually be something worth playing again.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    B0SSofB0SSESTV
  15. Glimi-1

Glimi-1 Just a Pine Rider

Discord:
    Glimi#2437
    Ratings:
    +367 / 39 / -51
    I've really enjoyed the beta and enjoying the new goalie they have given us. One thing that I have noticed is with point shots coming out of net to challenge the point shot I get beat way to often in top corners from my goalie not responding quick enough or choosing to do a shoulder save which i love majority of the time but when you come out of the net on to challenge a point shot it misses too many saves by not gloving it it or using blocker because it is out of range for the shoulder save not sure if any other goalies have noticed this it made me retreat more in my net because then I make the glove or blocker more often instead of coming out to challenge like a goalie should do.

TehGlimi1
  16. Z3R0CR45H

Z3R0CR45H It's been Fun All

Discord:
    Z3R0CR45H#0073
    Ratings:
    +528 / 29 / -37
    Game Freezes at the beginning if everyone doesn't press A.. or if someone Lags out during the loading process

Thanks @Nuge

No Streaming Account
  17. Crankov

Crankov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 22 / -61
    I love playing goalie in it. Goal line butterfly goalies will have a hard time playing. I notice if I stand to far back I get sniped. But I like how fast the goalie moves around. I can play a more realistic style. Challenging shooters and coming further out on breakaways. Don't get straight lined anymore if I come out too far. You can actually play the breakaway instead of trying guess which side he will go by how the player is coming in at you.

Don't change anything but when the goalie gets stuck on his ass sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    No Streaming Account
  18. ProbableKoz

ProbableKoz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 11 / -39
    All I got to ask now is extend the beta please, I'm gonna have withdrawals having to go back to 16 for a month lol

ProbableKoz
  19. Bizzibiz

Bizzibiz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256 / 64 / -30
    And here we go!! This is a long one.

Game speed is just right. Breakaway speed burst puts a forward where he should be. Ahead of shitty defenders...and this is coming from a defenseman. I have no problem if players get past me, I shouldn't be able to catch up unless using say offensive dman vs a breaking power forward. Too many dmen complain about it, and too many dmen play piss poor positional hockey and let players get behind them. Blinders on to the world son!

Goaltending is great. Some minor tweaks needed. One as mentioned, shots from the high circle near boards does go in for no reason. Even a clear shot with clear vision and perfect position some, too many, still go in. Post to post could use some tweaks. It's hard to go into a reverse vh when it's needed. Seems to be more auto during behind the goal line rather than manual.

The goalie getting stuck. Pressing x forces you to stand back up but I'm sure EA knows this and will fix it. Personally this rarely happens when in good position to make a save with a controlled rebound. Also hugging post is far more difficult in low ,high and fixed views vs classic and overhead. View angle? Don't know but I'm using the same controls and button presses.

I would love to see a custom camera function. Fixed is bleh during corners, classic sucks in nuetral zone and faceoffs, high is erraric, low is immersive and fun but for competitive play just horrible. If I could take classic that simply pans up as the puck leaves the zone (to a zoomed fixed view) that would be friggin perfect!

Another goalie tweak I'd like to see is this so called puck control with a stand-up. Make him use his stick and push with his toe. Maybe I'm just an old hybrid goalie (30 some years playing) but a true stand up goalie uses his STICK on the front of his toes to direct shots to the corners, out of play and even to other players. This needs to be added.

Butterfly needs a stronger blocker and glove. That's why the butterfly was developed. Old style stand up relied on fast reflexes and quick feet. Butterfly is more upper body quickness with focus on hands and arms and taking away the low with technique.

Overall I really like what EA did with goaltending. Even close up movements during breakaways and penalty shots is better. I can see a players body movements and anticipate his next move without overplaying.

Dekes. Yup between the legs is broken. Other than that it's not bad. It's a somewhat arcade like deke but it needs to stay for the fun and skilled players. It's effective and a must use deke in some situatuons. Some better puck control could be tweaked. Losing the puck with just about every build except pwr fwd and jumbo playmaker is too easy. Fart near a guy and the puck is loose. Same goes for defenseman. We have hands! Dmen use body positioning to protect the puck and we shouldn't be forced to constantly right stick or hold x for this. The puck comes loose far too easily. Needs a minor tweak on some of the builds.

This brings up passing. I've had several games where I know the pass should have got there, went back and watched the replay and sure enought my stick was dead nuts on. No reason for it to randomly go high slot. Have screenshots of this too. Needs to be addressed.

Skating: oh so fluid now. Much much better ea. Body position, direction, back skate and back skate transition to forward is so much better HOWEVER.....please for the love of god take out that friggin skate position assist, position, direction assist whatever you call it. Or give me a damn option to turn it off!!! Let ME control where I want to be or go especially in the defensive zone. QUIT TAKING OVER MY CONTROLS!!

And that's about it other than the major bugs that others have mentioned. I like it....a lot and can't wait for September!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  20. Bizzibiz

Bizzibiz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256 / 64 / -30
    @brandonbramanti care to post why or what you dislike about my opionated "review"? Or would you rather just sit there and leave negative ratings. Fn xbox troll...

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account