Madden impressions

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by XBoxJon, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just really dont get this.

I feel like in espn I can play D and react and make plays and that is far better gameplay to me. to each his own I guess.

Ive had some incredible plays happen in espn where I thought wow that looked like real football.

2. Pyrogerbil

Pyrogerbil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh and MP before you quit espn you gotta play me once. :(

No Streaming Account
  3. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well after about a quarter's worth of play, I really like it. Let me start by saying that Madden has changed for the better. I can't imagine going back to NCAA though, it is going to seem like hell :shock:

As for the gameplay, I still think it owns ESPN, but graphics could use a major overhaul. I like the animations though, I still think they are better. Franchise mode is pretty cool, Storyline Central seems just like First Person Football: BIG GIMMICK!

No Streaming Account
  4. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive seen a couple of people say this and im curious as to what makes the "gameplay" so much better in peoples opinions? Im not seeing it, to me they are both about the same.

Im still trying to learn all the madden controls. One thing i will say is having all those different pre-snap options on defense is nice, but if you're playing anyone with a clue they hike the ball too fast to really use most of them. I usually get maybe one shift or change in before the snap, theres just no time to use most of it.

Its definitely a fun game, i cant give either one a big edge yet.

No Streaming Account
  5. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everything.

The running game seems superior compared to ESPN. The passing game, they don't catch everything, and they don't drop everything either.

The defense seems very fun, and is a challenge, but I can definetly tell that we will have fun using it.

Kickoffs are fun too, nearly ran one back, but I started showboating with Phillip Buchanon and he got hit on the 3 and fumbled it causing a turnover. :(

To me, ESPN just lacks. It is much better in the eye candy aspect as Mark D. said, but once that wares off, gameplay is in Madden.

No Streaming Account
  6. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Heh you're just repeating the same crap over and over without stating why. How is the running game superior? I dont see it. Are there more broken tackles? Less? Are the running back's asses cuter? What makes it superior?

In ESPN they dont catch everything in the passing game either.

Why is defense more of a challenge?

Kickoffs are more fun, why? W T F is different? Both games have a spin move, sprint, charge, dive, etc. It all seems the same to me. I want to see some facts as to what makes one game better. If its just because you are used to Madden thats fine, just say that.

No Streaming Account
  7. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think he's into Wide Receivers.

No Streaming Account
  8. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the running game seems smoother to me. They break less tackles. Juking seems harder also, even harder than NCAA.

The passing game, they catch about 95% of everything in ESPN NFL. In Madden, it isn't that high and I love it.

The kick off returns just seems better, that is all I can say. It seems hard to run anywhere, which I like. The jukes being downgraded helps this also.

No Streaming Account
  9. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or Tight Ends....

No Streaming Account
  10. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    M3h to both of you, leave that to the owner of the 49'ers this season.

I would rather look at the pom pom's on the sidelines :p

No Streaming Account
  11. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While I like Madden, Fred Taylor was able to break a lot of tackles against me in my second online game today. Also, we went into overtime and Taylor had this run where he just plowed over about 6 of my guys and sprinted in for the game-winning touchdown.

It wasn't ridiculous, but I wasn't too impressed :(

No Streaming Account
  12. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank You. I'm sorry to say this but taking a review on Madden from socal is like listening to a raving fanboy from Madden/2k. I read Xbox Jons and Strikers reviews on the game and i'm actually thinking about it. I've never liked Madden since the Genesis days so i wont come up with anything like "Ahhh I've been playing Madden since i was a baby." <---crap. The only football game i've played and loved during the genesis days was Quarterback CLub Football...period and enjoyed. I'll stick around reading some more impressions if more would give full personal reviews not just based on that they've been waiting for Madden on XBox LIVE and other psycho fanboy rants. I'll also keep reading on Operation Sports(great unbiased impressions and reviews of any gaming site i've seen).

I did play Madden 2004 and didnt think much of it since it really didnt feel that much different the 2k series to me. I could switch controlls from game to game without any problem. I just didnt like how the pinball ran up the middle, passing was no different then what i can do in 2k4, 2k5, presentation 2k series hands down, graphics 2k5 hands down...i do like the way the fields look though on MAdden series 'aunthentic'(sort of like Fever graphics), i never cared for any franchise of any sports game offline until(NBA Live 96, 98, 2000, NBA 2k1, NBA 2k3, NCAA 2k4, and NFL 2k5(weekly prep is an annoying but great RPG feature)). I'll get my bro to borrow it for me from Gamestop when he gets a chance to bring it home. If not i'll just go rent it from BB.

If anyone like Accountblocked, IndigoVDub, Golden Gophers, MP, Ted Danson, Darthor, Skater gets it can you please post your impressions on the game besides all the fluff both ESPN and Madden brings this year. I Will probly be online by this week with Madden 2005 if anyone wants to show me what Madden has done to improve on what they should of improved years ago. So far my take on both games is still even and still lean towards VC 2k5 just based on innovation to the sports videogame world.

No Streaming Account
  13. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea Willow, same with me. I havent played Madden since the sega genesis.

Im not trying to flame anyone, i want to understand why some people like it so much more then 2k5. So far im enjoying the game im just not seeing this huge difference in "gameplay" that others are.

No Streaming Account
  14. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I detailed some of the aspects of gameplay, specifically the rushing game.

I love the running game because you're able to make it through holes in the line without having defenders (who are locked up on blocks) do a 180 and tackle you. I also like the fact that you can use the playmaker control on offense and direct blockers or receivers mid-play.

On defense, it's been discussed ad nauseum all of the extra features that they've added. This is all "gameplay" related, not fluff.

Juji - you saw 6 broken tackles on one play? That's incredible. The most I've seen is one (and it tells you with a graphic that it was a "user broken tackle" or whatever). Did they count as broken tackles in the stats page, or did them end up being whiffed tackles?

No Streaming Account
  15. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of the people that are enjoying Madden are the ones that are currently playing NCAA. Therefore, they (we) are used to the controls a little and thus making the gameplay feel a lot smoother and easier to follow.

By the way, I haven't tried this online, but the manual says to use "L + R" before the playcalling screen to view an instant replay.

Also, are there challenges in the online game. I did not see the option :?

No Streaming Account
  16. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope, no online challenges. Kind of blows, as a lot of the calls made by the officials are way too close to call.

As for the "L+R", I will try it right now.

No Streaming Account
  17. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thats a good answer Jon. Ill try and play around more with the playmaker stuff.

About the defensive features I havent found them all that great simply because there isnt time to use alot of them before the snap. Maybe that will improve as i play more.

No Streaming Account
  18. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if they were broken tackles are just non-wrapping hits on my part but Fred Taylor just plowed over my guys consistently throughout the game. I saw nothing of "user broken tackle" coming up. He was just running through my guys to be honest. Granted, I might not have been hitting the correct buttons, but I was diving into him and he just kept running. The worst one was in overtime when he ran through my whole defense. Again, it might not be a common thing, but it was bad enough that my opponent (TokeOne) thought it was a "lucky" play ;)

We got disconnected at 99% (not my end) so I didn't get to see the stats.

No Streaming Account
  19. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright Jujimum, I tried the "L+R" combination to force an instant replay, and I can now report that this must be for offline play only, as online it doesn't work.

No Streaming Account
  20. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it took me a few games to get the hang of it. I started off sometimes just putting a blitzing LB or two into zone coverage if the look I was getting from the other team seemed like a pass over the middle.

Now I'm adding in some DE's covering the flats in zone coverage if my Spidey senses are telling my sweep/QB scramble/HB flat pass or something of that sort. :wink:

No Streaming Account