League format

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Rocket League (LGRL)' started by Dalilaama, Feb 19, 2016.

1. xRoamingxRoninx

xRoamingxRoninx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -6
    Just want the community to chip in some thoughts and ideas on format. Throw your thoughts up here and we can take it all into consideration. Ie. team size, do we have 3 man teams by submission or owners and a draft with multiple lines and subs? Do we play best of 5 series? best of 7 against one team per matchup? the stats are pretty simple for tris to work with (if he decides to make life easy for us) Throw up your thoughts, lets see what the community thinks

• Like Like x 2
    Dalilaama
  2. jackD00P

jackD00P ‍♀️

Discord:
    jackD00P#5139
    Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Ratings:
    +672 / 10 / -13
    I think in order to get the most amount of people playing with a relatively even playing field, having a draft would be the best idea. If people submit their own teams it will be a very skewed league and many may not remain interested.

• Like Like x 3
    jackD00P
  3. AZDvo

AZDvo Rocket Winner and #1 Ranked Player in Arizona.

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 27 / -48
    Is there going to be an AHL for Rocket League?

• Like Like x 5
    No Streaming Account
  4. meme god x 420

meme god x 420 h e l l o

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 10 / -53
    I think you're right about the lack of parity, but I'm not sure how people who volunteer to manage teams are supposed to find out who is or isn't good at the game? The Xbox Rocket League community is so new that there aren't going to be many "known" names like there are on NHL. For a draft to be effective, a majority of players and managers will have to invest significant time into scouting, which I don't really see happening.

I think a draft system could work at some point later on, after the league is established. My prediction if we have a draft for this first season is that the teams would end up looking very very similar to what we'd have with a submission model anyway, because managers will just pick people that they know personally already.

I also think that most people would like to play with teammates who are of a similar skill level. I have nearly 300 hours logged on the game on Steam -- I remember what it was like when I was new and playing with friends who were very good at the game -- I felt like a detriment all the time and was constantly apologizing for every little mistake (and there were a lot of them). And obviously on the other side of the coin, experienced players aren't going to want to play with nubs either. My NHL buddies are all brand new to Rocket League. I still enjoy playing with them despite having to carry them because they are my friends and we get along on a personal level. I don't think, however, that I'd enjoy playing with random newbies (or random Master-level players! )that I don't know, because they might be assholes or ~*~*or what have you.

So I think I've asked more questions than I've answered here, without even discussing the team size or series length stuff. I'm not necessarily against a draft -- I'm willing to be convinced -- but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't really be that effective. I also see the drawbacks of doing it by submission.

tl;dr Maybe a draft is good, maybe it's not. @Dalilaama is dominant

• Like Like x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    bearditv
  5. Loki x6x

Loki x6x See Ach El BOG

Discord:
    lokix6x#0
    Ratings:
    +4,999 / 139 / -217
    I say no to the draft in its first season. As ball sadle said, do people really want to take the time to find out who is or isn't good?

Let people make teams for the first season and see where it goes. After playing each other for a season, people will start to see who is good and eventually turn this into bidding/draft.

• Like Like x 6
    Lokix6x
  6. Giggonomics

Giggonomics Gigg

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Bidding
    3v3
    10 or 20 min games.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. LethaLMyke23

LethaLMyke23 Why so serious?

Ratings:
    +197 / 10 / -9
    Team submissions
    3v3
    2 ideas for games:

First one have 2 games of 10 minutes which could be consideted as 2 periods kind of like real soccer at the end you can add uo scores for the final result of the game

Second one 3 games of 5 minutes which could be considered as 3 five minutes periods just like for lghl and you add up the scores for the final result

Or if you want to keep it simple best of 3 or best of 5

• Like Like x 2
    LethaLMyke23
  8. Noobinator156

Noobinator156 S17 Stanley Cup Champion

Ratings:
    +3,141 / 42 / -38
    I think it should be set up like PS in the way of scheduling and then best of 3 5 min games.

If it's set up like PS and there's no draft then sign me up as a manager.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Giggonomics

Giggonomics Gigg

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    As much as I like the idea of a series instead of a game it might be to much for some people to handle. It may be very hard to find which screenshots go with others and so on. I feel that a series format would end up being a hassle in the stat department. In my opinion we should just do 20 minute games. It would make things a lot easier on owners when putting in stats and also when scheduling.

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  10. GolSki6027

GolSki6027 Nujabes

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -25
    Why are even talking about periods? Game should be 5 minutes period. Now if we wanna do a team of 6 and have 2 lines or a team of 4 just to have a sub. None of this 10 minute to 20 minute game bull shit for sure. Then, we should just be set up like a season in my eyes. They even have a season mode that is nice for offline play. No need to make this harder then we have too. I also believe we should submit our own teams for the first season too see how it plays out. Think of it as a beta season to see how the playing field is.

• Like Like x 3
    GolSkiii
  11. LAINGX15

LAINGX15 LGAHL BOG

Discord:
    Laingx15#6057
    Ratings:
    +280 / 132 / -110
    Heres my take,

Best of 5 series. 5 min game,
    Your record is base off how many games you win and loose. Not you win series you get the win for that game its very easy to track you get more games in that way for the season

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. KoG SHOWTYME

KoG SHOWTYME Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xHEDMAN77x#2331
    Ratings:
    +43 / 17 / -9
    Best of 3, 5-10 min games sounds about right dont want to get too overboard here with it

• Like Like x 1
    xhedman77x
  13. Shawn_I24I

Shawn_I24I Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -1
    Team submissions
    3v3

2 ideas for games:

First one have 2 games of 10 minutes which could be consideted as 2 periods kind of like real soccer at the end you can add uo scores for the final result of the game

Second one 3 games of 5 minutes which could be considered as 3 five minutes periods just like for lghl and you add up the scores for the final result

Or if you want to keep it simple best of 3 or best of 5

***I Wanted to quote VkLethaLMyke but I don't know how so I copy pasted sorry!:(***

No Streaming Account
  14. TH3 WID0WMAK3R

TH3 WID0WMAK3R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +505 / 20 / -14
    Random assignments for teams

No Streaming Account
  15. KoG SHOWTYME

KoG SHOWTYME Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xHEDMAN77x#2331
    Ratings:
    +43 / 17 / -9
    Im not with the random assignment idea. We should have bidding for a 3v3 league lol

xhedman77x
  16. GolSki6027

GolSki6027 Nujabes

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -25
    Why are you guys trying to make the game something it's not? Have you seen scores for 5 minutes games? No reason for 10 minute games. No reason for 5 game series. If anything 2 games a night so people that play hockey can get them in between. Games played back to back. Both 5 minute games.

GolSkiii
  17. ShortyxLOSE

ShortyxLOSE LG Deputy Commish | LGHL Commish | ESHL Staff

Discord:
    ShortyxLOSE#0738
    Ratings:
    +922 / 0 / -1
    Best Of 2 (5 Mins) --> 8:30 & 8:35
    Best Of 3 (5 Mins) --> 8:30, 8:35, 8:40.

* Back 2 Back Times *

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    ShortyxLOSE
  18. xRoamingxRoninx

xRoamingxRoninx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -6
    Just for thought here but the way the lobbies work in rl is that 3 games are back to back with instant restarts series will take 20 min max if its best of 3 you dont have to reinvite people. Getting guys on for 1 5 to 7 min game might not feed people cravings.

• Like Like x 1
    Dalilaama
  19. GolSki6027

GolSki6027 Nujabes

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -25
    The only thing is timing really. That why I say 2 games between NHL. 930 and 940 or 945 or could be 1030, 1040, or 1045. That is why in my eyes 3 and 5 game series wont work. We can agree the first game needs to start on time, but if the schedule is playing the same team on the same night 2 or 3 times. The other game times can start earlier.

• Like Like x 1
    GolSkiii
  20. Giggonomics

Giggonomics Gigg

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Team submissions won't work because some people don't have a team they play with. The best option is to do a bidding or a draft.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account