A thread for Goalies

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by B4NKS, Mar 21, 2017.

1. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Also in terms of the grading system I don't pay much attention to it either but I use it as an example, of how they're contradicting what they want people to do because again I know my angles as I used to play net and some things that go in are just unbelievable sometimes a good shot just beats you and I'm perfect with that but the majority of goals are trash

No Streaming Account
  2. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Sorry for all the notifications but just one more thing regarding the grading system, the thing that makes me feel like it's more contradictory than anything is just the simple fact that the only thing we as goalies control is our positioning and I just personally fell like we aren't rewarded nearly as much as we should be

No Streaming Account
  3. D4D USA

D4D USA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    D4N USA#6332
    Ratings:
    +2,140 / 41 / -61
    I have not seen a goalie better at breakaways than @B4NKS, and he still lets in as many breakaways as everyone else...

No Streaming Account
  4. VeNOM3O99

VeNOM3O99 Ultra Instinct (Sign) Goalie

Ratings:
    +333 / 29 / -32
    That's because stopping the puck on a breakaway is 100% guess-work from the human goalie. In real life I can shadow the player and make a save without having to guess too much because no matter what he does with the puck on his stick, it will always follow his body. Even if he tries to change direction, he has to plant and shift weight to go the other way, which takes time and gives the goalie a bit of time to also change direction to follow. Not so in this game where physics don't exist and you can just change direction without any penalty to the puck holder's momentum. The goalie however DOES have to deal with momentum and realism.

In real life, the success rate of a goalie in a shootout is about 50%. In this game it's probably something like 20% on average. The offense just has too much of an advantage.

• Winner Winner x 4
    VeNOM3099
  5. D4D USA

D4D USA Well-Known Member

Discord:
    D4N USA#6332
    Ratings:
    +2,140 / 41 / -61
    I've only been a goalie since I was 4 years old...I was more so referring to how he reads the correct move 9/10 times, he's in position, and it goes through his body. So, it doesn't even matter if he reads it correctly or not.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  6. VeNOM3O99

Ratings:
    +333 / 29 / -32
    Exactly. Because the game doesn't even take into account anything remotely close to REAL goaltending for how it has to handle shots. Positioning, Depth, Momentum, shot angle, none of it matters. Take this for instance, this was the game winner in one of my games last week:

Tell me, what was I supposed to do more on that shot? I was well outside my blue zone to challenge the shot. I was set, I wasn't moving. My d-men gave me a perfect view of the shot that came 2 feet inside the blue line. It wasn't a hard shot. It wasn't a precise shot. It wasn't tipped. It wasn't screened. It was 2-2 in OT. Me and the other goalie had done some crazy saves up until that point and then this.

What are you supposed to do when you are a slave to the GAME deciding what stupid save animation it wants to give you... That's why this game is frustrating for us, because we as human goalies want to be in control of what we do. But we can't. We are slaves to the game deciding how to stop a simple, unscreened shot from over 40 feet away. Or in this case how NOT to stop it...

• Like Like x 3
    VeNOM3099
  7. Tolvanen l11l

Tolvanen l11l 78 Overall Fringe Starter

Ratings:
    +206 / 13 / -32
    Sup Banks.

My first serious post on here about this issue so I'll just dive right in. Apologies for spelling errors im on my phone.

Fist off my most prolific issue I hate how when trying to track a one timer and I try to get over just using LS, my goalie will literally freeze and simply root himself in place when they take the one time shot. Even though I keep holding down LS. I know the opposite is last game where whenever you tried to track the shot your goalie would slide right out of the net. But a little more movement speed would be nice for people who don't wanna go balls deep to make the save like me. Maybe an adjustable slider for movement speed?

I tend not to use RS or hug post to get over cause if he shoots far side or passes instead, I'm done.

And breakaways are impossible to track like in real life so some sort of assistance is needed. I've tried tracking with it but the Skater can just pull forehand and goal line it in makes it impossible. Also even if I successfully stay with it my goalie will not stick out his limbs to save it.

Also the the LT +RT hug post animations glitch out alot when moving back and forth and I often freeze moving around. so those need serious tuning.

Also the High blocker side animations are terrible like this one I call the windmill. A good example is the first goal Cleveland scored against me tonight. Sry I can't link video on mobile.

(Imagine how good goalie could be if we could get some of the amazing animations that computer goalies use. Especially for 1t's and breakaways.)

Last but not least fix the piss wrap. Thats getting ridiculous.

Feels like goalie has taken a back seat to EA in favor of offense due to higher excitement but I'm tired of letting in bad goals that cost the game despite great positioning.

Sorry how long this post is.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Yo man no worries on the post length I made this thread so that people could say exactly what they felt whether it was one word or a thousand I agree with everything you've said because most of it has happened to me too although I do tend to use the right stick movement a bit to try to slide (sometimes it gets me caught out and I get a terrible animation) but in my opinion for whatever that's worth, my 1st and 2nd biggest gripes are with what you mentioned in the last part of your post where it panders more to the offensive side of the game and the other gripe I have is in the class of animations that are there and simple things like I had mentioned earlier like having the post hug be a hold instead of a toggle to help slides and getting over like it used to be. On the subject of breakaways @TheCreaseTV made good posts about that and I agreed with them for the most part but in my experience, tracking the puck is not difficult for me personally, I'm usually pretty on par with making the right reads but the issue I have again is the animations or lack thereof for example, I'll read the play and then slide accordingly and my goalie will just not animate at all it's almost like the shot comes right before the animation starts and then completes and the slide continues right after the goal goes in. I get that it's probably pretty difficult to make a game and do all of the technical things that they do but honestly sometimes simplicity is good and I just think there's too many animations in the game and your player can never decide on the correct one.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    One more thing I forgot to mention was I also can't stand how (and again this was mentioned by crease and myself in earlier posts) but I hate how the only thing you can control in the game is your positioning and you can get a 100% grade in positioning and still let in the worst cheesiest goals and that's really frustrating I'd rather have me be the one to fuck up and let in a goal than the game deciding that it's now time for a goal against

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  10. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,457 / 325 / -613

Enough said

• Like Like x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  11. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Kick save and a beauty.....?

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. Kapper97

Kapper97 GT: Kapper97

Ratings:
    +34 / 20 / -13
    as a goalie that focuses on positioning and challenging shots and the top of the paint, i too would like to see that reaction advantage for the great goalies as the poop goalies who just sit there and merely watch the game and wait for the puck to be in a guaranteed shooting spot. you may allow a few more, but your saves will be because of skill and not just game physics...

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  13. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Even if they added something like they used to have in the form of anticipation saves that could reward you they'd just have to change it so you couldn't cheat all the time. I look at it like playing a single player game at times (may be an obscure reference but hear me out) for example everyone wants to win as much as they can but when you're playing a single player game for example, an automatic win makes the game boring and makes me not wanna play, basically what I'm getting at is I don't want the game to be easy for goalies to the point where we just stand there even though we'd probably win more, but rather I want some sort of rewarding feeling for making a sick save or string of saves because of good reads

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Lividpenguin342

Lividpenguin342 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 72 / -103
    13 goals........

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    ?

No Streaming Account
  16. Lividpenguin342

Lividpenguin342 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 72 / -103
    Chirping our goalie

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  17. KillTheTendy

KillTheTendy Always looking to play, so hmu if u need a G

Discord:
    killthetendy#0
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -8
    100% agree with you. If we as goalies get a 90% or higher in positioning we should be making most of if not all of those saves in my opinion. People say goalie sometimes just need to be sniped, which I completely disagree with, yes there should be highlight snipes here and there but not multiple times a game. It takes skill to be able to read and track plays correctly especially at a high level where the gameplay is a little faster and we should be rewarded for it instead of watching a puck hit us in the chest and roll in or have your goalie try to karate chop the puck with his blocker and miss.
    If there is going to be a push to take this into esports then that has to change. Games that are played in competitions shouldn't be decided on luck and chance, but rather just the skill of the 12 guys on the ice.

• Like Like x 1
    killtarted
  18. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Hahaha be careful usually goalies have the best chirps ;)

No Streaming Account
  19. B4NKS

B4NKS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 11 / -8
    Yeah 100% I forgot they wanted to bring this into competitive and at it's current state it's impossible due to like you said the luck and chance that something will or will not happen

No Streaming Account
  20. VeNOM3O99

Ratings:
    +333 / 29 / -32
    LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This game should come with a Subtitle: NHL 17 - The Phantom Menace

• Like Like x 1
    VeNOM3099