Con's Crease -- S14 Atlantic Preseason Projections

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL PSN)' started by MDConMan, Jun 7, 2020.

1. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    A few trades have gone through since I started working on this writeup, so I apologize if it seems slightly inaccurate already, plus whatever’s happening in Springfield… Thanks. -Con

Wellllllcome back everybody to ANOTHER installment of Con’s Crease!! Back-to-back days?? What is this, S11?? Crazy. Missed what happened last time on DBZ?? Check the links to see:

Honestly, the Atlantic division has been an absolute slugfest since at least S9 in my time alone here in the AHL, and it looks like it’s gonna be another tough season to make the playoffs in. In my final standings for this division, I fully expect the top 2 teams to set themselves apart, teams 3-6 to be within 5 points of eachother, and team 7 probably won’t be that far behind depending on how their management team(s) hold together over the season. To be fair, if this division weren’t so constantly loaded through the middle, it probably wouldn’t even be worth having the Checkers play the season anyway. Just give them an 11 week BYE straight to the Conference Finals.

Again, to be clear, I have not done any in-depth research or line projections. I simply glanced at the rosters and management teams and wrote down my base opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridgeport Sound Tigers

GM - @Chelios24x7 (C)

AGM1 - @Hogan_Jr_ (RD)

AGM2 - @Noblood777 (LW)

Honestly think this should be a solid team that finds itself in the top tier of a difficult division by the end of the season. Opening day roster looks fairly well balanced with enough upper level guys to get it done early and often.

@Kingboivin31 going for $6m is a big spend for them, and a bit of a stretch considering some other options in bidding, so will definitely be interested to see how this signing works out for them this season. If he struggles to show the value, look for them to take a hit moving him due to his cost. But with a lot of DP’s filling in the roster, it hopefully won’t be a problem, and this management team should definitely be able to handle it either way. Additional points there, too.

Ultimately, I could see this team upsetting my projection and taking the 1 seed. Stranger things have happened, seemingly frequently to the franchise I have slotted ahead of them, so definitely don’t rule them out of making a Calder Cup appearance if things go their way this season.

Division Projection: 2nd
    Playoff Prediction: Third round exit

Charlotte Checkers

GM - @Greggy--23 (LD)

AGM1 - @Im-Gods-Jesus (LW)

AGM2 - @DDW-_- (LW)

Nort is finally moving on to running his own franchise in the NHL, leaving someone to take up the reigns of the Checkers. Unsurprisingly, it’s another top name stepping in with Greggy and IGJ taking up the mantle of JClaus’s farm team. Spending big on DDW could hurt them later, flexibility to make moves at the deadline could be tight, but when you have a top team at both levels and STILL pick up as many high draft picks as this team always seems to land, you can afford to risk it.

I’d say the thing that worries me on this team is their goal tending, but if history proves anything with this group: the goalies aren’t going to have to do all that much, and they’re probably some Xbox or HUT guys that I’ve never heard of anyway that are gonna kill it. Barring some scandal somewhere along the way, look for this team to start at the top and stay there.

Division Projection: 1st
    Playoff Prediction: Calder Cup Finals

Hartford Wolf Pack

GM - @SPED3409 (C)

AGM1 - @Charliebiscuit12 (LW)

AGM2 - @LeKotkaniemi (C)

I’m gonna end up saying this like 6 times in this article, but it’s tough to rate this team as low as I am. There’s just too many questions I have at spots that are going to be tough to address early enough to not fall behind. I’d expect them to keep it close and push for that 4th spot all the way til the end, but I think they have too many missteps along the way and can’t quite get it done.

@dusty-l9l at only $1m is a very good deal, but with how ineffective west lines have been becoming I don’t know how much of a steal it really is or whether they’re even going to try and run a full west line anyway. @jared2112 for $7.25m on RD will be a pretty big determining factor for them. Mostly because I don’t think he finishes the season here (possibly whether he even finishes the season at all).

Hopefully it’s at least a good learning experience for their management group and they can come back better for it next season.

Division Projection: 6th
    Playoff Prediction: Miss

Hershey Bears

GM - @Peeace--- (C)

AGM1 - @Wonderl3oy89 (LD)

AGM2 - @vMustacho (LD)

I’m probably gonna get an earful from Peeace about this one, or from someone else that he knows will tell me about it for him. I genuinely expect the Bears and Providence to be jostling back-and-forth the entire season for playoff seeding, and probably a late push from the Bruins seals it in the last week or two.

Bringing in Orioles as AGM is a nice get for this group, but I just question their depth. If they can surprise there, or improve it enough early on in the season I think this team could go further, but if not or if any of their lines underperform, I could see them getting run further down my rankings quickly. This division is going to be sweaty all season long.

Division Projection: 4th
    Playoff Prediction: First round exit

Lehigh Valley Phantoms

GM - @Landamov (RD)

AGM1 - @xOgLowkeyyx (C)

AGM2 - @iMoRRoW (LD)

This team could very easily climb in the standings with this management group and some smart bids up and down the roster. The question here will be - what do you do about the bad contracts? Having $2.5m tied up in goalies is not a great look, and there’s a few questionable guys that have landed here in my personal opinion. If they can control this locker room and get the best out of everyone, there could be quite a few steals here.

Look for them to solidify the top of the depth chart to really set themselves apart, but if they can’t do that I just don’t see them making the playoffs. Honestly, I don’t know what pieces they could really get enough value for at the moment to do so, but don’t count this group out. They’ll be in the hunt for all 82 games.

Division Projection: 5th

Providence Baby Bruins

GM - @BryanAdoresLiz (RW)

AGM1 - @MattAdoresDanna (LD)

AGM2 - @B-Red94 (RW)

The perennial representatives from the school of Paw. This is a group that keeps it simple and looks for guys that will buy-in to what they’re doing. Get the puck on net. Doesn’t matter who shoots it, doesn’t matter who scores it. Just rip it and look for tips or rebounds. If it doesn’t work, just reset and do it again.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the roster from here as the season gets underway, but I definitely think they’re in a pretty good spot to start. The defense looks pretty sweaty, and another team with $2m+ tied up in goaltending, so they’re clearly committing to the plan once again. Will anyone actually use that knowledge to beat them before the playoffs? Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Division Projection: 3rd
    Playoff Prediction: First round exit

Springfield Thunderbirds

RIP @jgiroux_

GM - @jgiroux_ (LW)

AGM1 - @Iceblock84 (LD)

AGM2 - @Dirtydeeds1212

Hate to see a team put in a difficult situation to start the season just from a questionable bidding session alone. They’ve already made several moves before the season even starts as well, but I still just don’t trust the locker room chemistry in this organization.

Dirtydeeds and @dmac7719 both commanding almost $6m a piece will be the tone setters for what happens with this roster from here, and how successful the team will be. Did they nail enough of their cheap contracts to maintain the necessary depth to schedule a 9 game week? How will their goaltending hold up both on the ice and between their own ears? If all of the extenuating circumstances can be overcome, expect this team to vastly outperform my projection.

Division Projection: 7th
    Playoff Prediction: Miss, more management quits

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Baby Penguins

GM - @Itz0ver4u (RD)

AGM1 - @RapleSyrup15 (C)

AGM2 - @Wiqkid_qc (RD)

I’m not as familiar with this management team as I am with some of the others in this division but they’ve seemed like good enough guys so far. Their top line should definitely do well, but I’m not sure how their depth is going to pan out across 9 game weeks over the course of the season.

They went big on rostering @LEGAL x 76 at RD with a $9.25 price tag, and that’s definitely going to make or break their season in my opinion. If he doesn’t show enough of an impact at the AHL level, and they didn’t nail their 500k contracts, this team is going to find itself very far behind very quickly, in an insanely deep division.

Division Projection: 8th

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Projected Standings:

1. Charlotte Checkers

2. BPT Sound Tigers

3. Providence Bruins

4. Hershey Bears

5. LV Phantoms

6. Hartford Wolf Pack

7. Springfield Thunderbirds

8. WBS Penguins​

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    MDConMan
  2. The_0verthinker_

The_0verthinker_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 105 / -166
    Get Bear'd

No Streaming Account
  3. Jobi Wan 4

Jobi Wan 4 Warning Group

Discord:
    jobiwan4#0
    Ratings:
    +388 / 12 / -20
    Still alive, but good write up none the less. Need any media we can get keep it going!

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  4. Tassoboss-

Tassoboss- Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -3
    Bruh last? Thats tough

• Winner Winner x 3
    TassoBoss
  5. NINETY ElGHT

NINETY ElGHT Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Ninety Elght#9689
    Ratings:
    +827 / 29 / -86
    I appreciate the media but yikes. Every nhler this guy writes about he assumes they will quit. Why wouldn’t Jared finish the season? Guy has countless lg seasons played and has played them all. At least do some research before you make an asinine comment.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    NINETYElght
  6. gcampbell13

gcampbell13 Career CHL TC

Ratings:
    +638 / 63 / -95
    Hartford should be last

gcampbell13
  7. SPED3409

SPED3409 Raiders Legend S10-13

Discord:
    sped3409#2927
    Ratings:
    +951 / 42 / -89
    not to mention Jared is actually a cool guy and seems to be very involved with the team i dont see him quitting.

• Like Like x 2
    sped0934
  8. NINETY ElGHT

NINETY ElGHT Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Ninety Elght#9689
    Ratings:
    +827 / 29 / -86
    he's been managing on Xbox for seasons. He's also been on countless bottom feeder PSN teams and has played through it all. It's just a silly comment to make.

• Like Like x 3
    NINETYElght
  9. gcampbell13

gcampbell13 Career CHL TC

Ratings:
    +638 / 63 / -95
    Also if he quits on PSN side wouldnt he get banned on xbox as well?

• Like Like x 1
    gcampbell13
  10. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    “Again, to be clear, I have not done any in depth research or line projections. I simply glanced at the rosters and management teams and wrote down my base opinions.”

I know nothing about Jared except that he’s an NHLer that got bid up. So that means there’s the chance he quits if his team under performs speaking generally with no knowledge of him. If this upset anyone, then I would encourage you to read the preface, as this is in no way a directed comment at him specifically.

Thanks for the background info on him, though. And if I’d known that, then yeah, I wouldn’t really expect him to quit, no.

• Like Like x 1
    MDConMan
  11. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    If I took the time to look up everyone on roster that I don’t already specifically know, you’d have my preseason thoughts 2 weeks into the season

• Like Like x 1
    MDConMan
  12. SPED3409

SPED3409 Raiders Legend S10-13

Discord:
    sped3409#2927
    Ratings:
    +951 / 42 / -89
    but real talk very cool write up i love when guys take the time to do this stuff and the wolfpack hope to prove you wrong ;) :team314::team314:

• Winner Winner x 1
    sped0934
  13. MDConMan

MDConMan Shoutbox G

Discord:
    MDConMan#9425
    Ratings:
    +185 / 7 / -36
    Nothing makes me happier than when guys prove me wrong! Best of luck, man!

• Like Like x 1
    MDConMan