Top stories of week 5 - Mid season review?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by IlFox, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IlFox

IlFox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 25 / -54
    Week 5 is in the books folks, and with that, it means we are now over half way done s28. While I do plan to sprinkle in a couple stories – this is after all called “top stories” – I figured I would focus a little more on a mid-season review-ish type of post this week. Without further ado, let’s go!

Lehigh Valley :team302:

Making the cut for another top stories, it looked as if it would be another disastrous week in Lehigh Valley as they started the week 2-3-1. They managed to save face and win the final 3 games of the week to finish 5-3-1. I am surprised @ThatZachGuy gave them the nod over Wilkes Barre Scranton who has the same amount of points and finished the week 7-1-1. It’s going to be a battle between these two teams for that top spot. @Darcy Kuemper had mentioned LHV was being picked apart by the NHL a bit so we will see if this has any effect on how they finish down the stretch.

Battle for the top spot in the East Atlantic

:team302::team301: With the midpoint of the season behind us, Lehigh Valley and Wilkes Barre Scranton immerge as the two likely candidates for the number 1 spot in the East Atlantic. While LHV got off to a really hot start, WBS took advantage of LHV struggles in week 4 to close the gap. Both sitting atop the Atlantic with 63pts ; 10pts ahead of the competition, both teams will need to stay tight if they want to lock down that top seed. As mentioned early, LHV has lost a few players to the NHL over the last couple weeks, while WBS recently just received a s27 Calder winner in @deathstwr99 . What makes this the most interesting is, if both these teams continue to stay even/pretty close in points, week 9 has them playing eachother TWICE. It could make for a very interesting battle for that top seed. The current matchup between the two teams stands at 2-0 for LHV with a 1-0 win in week 3, and the recent 4-2 win this week.

The top 3 of the North

:team778: We saw Laval fall off the throne last week to Utica, and this week they fall one more as Rochester puts together a 8-2-0 week. After a 3-0 start to the week for Laval, they hit a 4 game slide which ultimately dropped them down to 3rd. The end of the week saw Laval making a few changes adding 5 new players to their rosters. I personally think they did pretty good in the trades and added some depth for push during the back end of the season. The new roster will be put to the test immediately as they face off against the West Pacific which sees them face off against Ontario, San Jose, San Diego, and Stockton in 4 of their first 5 games of the week.

:team312: Rochester bounced back after their terrible week 4 where we saw them go 1-6-2, to a wonderful 8-2-0 week. With the help of Laval putting together a couple mediocre weeks, the 8 wins was enough to leap into 2nd place. They didn’t have too difficult of a week, they got the job done and put together the necessary wins while also taking points away from Utica in a 5-1 victory on Sunday. Looking to week 9, we see Rochester meeting up with a very similar schedule that they just had, while they put up 8 wins, they will also be facing off against their divisional rivals in some potentially important matchups.

:team410: Utica put up one of their best weeks yet going 6-3 (week 4 – 6-4), which is better late than never. While they haven’t put up too many impressive weeks, they’ve stayed pretty consistent and find themselves at the top of the division for a second week. It’s important to note that @l Mackie l ‘s line has seemingly found their groove as they are on an 8 game win streak. If the other lines can get on board and bring a little more consistency, they could lock up the top seed of the Eastern North.

The West Moose, whoops, I mean Central

:team307: Manitoba has managed another good week 7-2-0, bringing them to 16-2-0 since the blockbuster trade. No surprise here though, these guys have roster I bet almost anyone in the league would want. They should cruise to a top seeded finish in their division and also we are likely looking at a 3rd Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy in a row for @Im4thLineWorthy . All eyes on these guys as they are sitting pretty with 74pts. While I understand it’s easy to play goalie for the best defense in the league, the goaltending has been lights out for the Moose all season. While he was only facing an average of 6.2 shots per game this week; @Jonas Petersson put up 4 shutouts out of 5 games this week with his only loss coming Ontario and 4Lines last year pairing of @KSPx11 and @Averageboy . Everyone has 4 more weeks to watch game tape and try and break these guys down.

:team317: Trouble in Cleveland? After posting a 8-1-0 week, we see a disastrous 2-6-1 week that almost eliminates the potential of them catching Manitoba. Keeping in mind it was a tough week against the West, I am sure it was an interesting week in their team chats. Week 6 seems significantly easier for these boys, still a couple biggies sprinkled in but hopefully they bounce back quick as a couple teams bellow them are looking hungry to overtake them.

:team362: Iowa shook their team up last week and it seems to have paid off. They posted a 7-2-0 week with their two losses coming to Stockton and Manitoba. A couple of wins over Colorado and Chicago were also extremely beneficial here as they try and solidify their spot in the top 4. @l Murray x 30 l and the boys visit the East Atlantic in week 6 as they look to overtake the weakened Eagles.

:team395: Chicago made the best of a difficult week going 6-2-1, coming out with some good wins over San Jose, San Diego, Cleveland, Stockton, Colorado (pre collapse). Sitting 6pts out of that 4th spot, they are poised to make a playoff run with the recent collapse of Colorado. If they can continue to find 6 wins a week, we could see them in a playoff spot.

The powerhouse West Pacific

:team516: Stockton Heat is living true to the name as they continue to be hot posting an 8-0-1 week. Their only loss came to Chicago which saw @Ranger x 28 shutting the door with a 94.1 sv% turning away 16 out of 17 shots. Backstopped by some great goaltending of their own, @Granpapuff420 put up a couple shutouts of his own with a 5-0 win over Cleveland, and 3-0 against Ontario. To what I am sure is @Axey19 and the Stockton boys delight, we saw the return of @im just a squid this week with two 4 goal games, after his subpar week 4. If these guys keep pace, they will have no problem getting the top seed in the Pacific and could also challenge Manitoba for the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy.

:team519: San Jose have themselves another average week at 5-2-2, that 3rd line seems to have had another difficult week. While they have comfortably been in the top 4 of their powerhouse division, it will be interesting to see if @Brisan66 and the m8lads shake anything up in hopes to spread the wealth on their lines or if they continue to stick by the squad and chalk it up to a couple hard weeks. That being said, we are still talking about a 29-12-4 team with 62pts, but they will need to do better down the stretch as their last two weeks have been their worse ones yet.

:team300: Texas? Now if you recall, Texas has been very active on the trade market over the last couple weeks, and it seems to be paying off. They have had two good weeks with a 7-2-0 (week4) and 6-2-1 (week5) and are trying to keep their name in the hat for a playoff spot. They are sitting 6pts out and if those top 4 aren’t careful, we could see these guys sliding in.

A bit of stats for the mid-season review

Most goals for

1) :team307:Manitoba - 167

2) :team625:Colorado - 166

3) :team519:San Jose – 163

Least goals against

1) :team307:Manitoba - 67

2) :team516:Stockton - 87

3) :team301:Wilkes Barre Scranton – 97

Game of the week

Utica vs Toronto – 16-0… YIKES.

LGACHL Brute Alert!

Just wanted to give a warning to the AHL that we have a bully out on the ice, and his name is @Hilly , beware out there folks!

http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=3390987

http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=3375215

As always, good luck in week 6 folks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
    No Streaming Account
  2. x G R E N I E R

x G R E N I E R G

Ratings:
    +44 / 6 / -3
    Cute

• Like Like x 1
    Bobma12
  3. Hilly

Hilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 6 / -16
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    hillhouse13
  4. swiss97

swiss97 Pepsi Guy

Ratings:
    +644 / 23 / -25
    @Hilly uses a game shark. #Confirmed

• Like Like x 3
    97swiss
  5. EricE30

EricE30 -------

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 24 / -63
    #SAVEERICE

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Smitterr

Smitterr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    smitterr#0
    Ratings:
    +531 / 37 / -46
    Chicago lost to San Jose this past week.

But nice write up.

• Like Like x 1
    Smitter24
  7. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    Great job again. Keep it up

• Like Like x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  8. Facialize

Facialize Baby, you're a firework

Ratings:
    +196 / 5 / -19

If he said we won then we won

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  9. x G R E N I E R

x G R E N I E R G

Ratings:
    +44 / 6 / -3
    If I was gay I'd suck a fat one in front of a poor family.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Bobma12
  10. Coreymac27

Coreymac27 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    coreymac27#0
    Ratings:
    +253 / 15 / -13
    Great write up as always Fox

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Darse

Darse Knob Jockey

Discord:
    darcykuemper#0
    Ratings:
    +3,361 / 98 / -121
    • Like Like x 1
    DKuemps
  12. NotoriousFAT 00

NotoriousFAT 00 Former LG media kingpin, Wine gum lover, LG dad.

Discord:
    NotoriousFAT 00#5853
    Ratings:
    +3,744 / 76 / -124
    You missed a key stat. Top Power Play % Tucson Roadrunners......? Yup at 36.2%

• Like Like x 2
    notoriousfat00
  13. Delusional6346

Delusional6346 First Ballot 19 and 2nd ranked player in Arizona

Ratings:
    +195 / 183 / -207
    16-0 into a snp 1st place...im gooooood

• Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account