Site Update

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Tris10, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327
    This is a general update on what happened on the morning of Saturday Nov 11th.

What happened

LG was targeted for ransom-ware. Some orginization managed to get into lg's servers and encrpyt lg's database and demand a random to unluck it. We of course will not do this.

What was taken
    It would be safe to presume that this person(s) would copy the database. We can not confirm if they download the files or just lock them.

What info is at risk
    If person(s) took the db, they would have access to your email address. All LG passwords are hashed. If you do not know what this means, your lg password is converted to a 32 character word that can not be reversed. This means no copy of your lg password is ever stored on lg's server(s). If they have the hash, its very unlikely they could convert it back, but not impossible.

LG never stored any personal or financial info. This means if you did any payments for buyouts or plat accounts, that is all handled by PayPal. Everything related to ESHL is uneffected.

For all connected accounts like Xbox, Twitch, Twitter ect. LG never stored any login or password information for that, that was all handled by the OAUTH standard. LG can only retrieve info on connected accounts, never change. So your XBL account is not at risk.

What is our response
    Since person(s) got into the servers, we assumed they must have installed a back door. So today we completely destroyed both our web and database server and rebuilt them from scratch. This is why we were down for the day.

@ImJeff and i have a very good idea how this happened, and without detailing some of the steps we took, and will take, we are confidant this will not happen ever again

What data is lost
    There are 2 sections to the database, the game and league data, and the forums data.

We lost a weeks worth of game data, everything after Nov 4th is lost. This includes games, trades, stats. However, we will get the OCR working and since those work from XBL images, stats can be readded. As well at the API goes 5 games back and of course if there is a copy of any streams. We ask as of tomorrow all managers do their best to get week 4 stats update to date the best they can.

For the forums and "everything" else data, we lost about 2 weeks worth. This includes any changes you did to your lg account.

The pm system was a bit out of sync, so i completely flushed it so old pm's are gone.

What can you do
    We would recommend you change your lg password, again your lg password was not saved on the server but the hash of it was. If you used your LG password for other accounts like XBOX or psn, to be safe i'd recommend changing that too

What about League related questions
    It will be business as usual and games will start on Sunday November the 12th.
    The general rule of anything that happened before this event is set in stone. This includes all trades , bans or anything else.

There is still a ton of things i will need to fix and i will be doing so all day today and Sunday. I will address all issues as they come up.

Final Comments
    We do not think this event is related to any single member of LG, this looks like a standard random-ware attack where someone is looking for a quick buck of the backs of others. I hope there is a special place in hell for people who do stuff like this, But this is a lesson for us, and one we will take very seriously.

If you have any questions or concerns please pm us and we'll address them the best we can.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our community.

• Winner x 16
    • Like x 9
    • Informative x 5
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Troll x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    Thanks for your patients during the outage today.

If you have any league related issues be sure to send a PM league’s BOG ASAP!

If you uncover anything else on LG that appears to be broken be sure to send Tris and I a PM or post in here and tag us

LeagueGamingOfficial
  3. Th3 l AnD 0n1y

Th3 l AnD 0n1y The Lord

Discord:
    th3land0n1y#0
    Ratings:
    +1,317 / 61 / -31
    Should of just took all the money you get from the r e t a r d s that buy out there CB ban out and bought this site back.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    th3_1_and_0n1y
  4. TVK

TVK Gluten free since '93

Ratings:
    +214 / 5 / -11
    [​IMG]

No Streaming Account
  5. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    As Tris stated. All trades, bans etc that were undone need to be redone.

Everything should be returned to how it was last night!

LeagueGamingOfficial
  6. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    As Tris stated. All trades, bans etc that were undone need to be redone.

Everything should be returned to how it was last night!

LeagueGamingOfficial
  7. Nealrambo

Nealrambo Well-Known Member

Discord:
    nealrambo#2198
    Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -97
    So basically i have to manually input all my games stats from the last two weeks in order to get our current record to what it was and stats?

nbtrackstar5
  8. GonzoArmstrong

GonzoArmstrong Well-Known Member

Discord:
    GonzoArmstrong#4735
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 169 / -318
    Week 3's stats are there but aren't registering for some reason. @Tris10

xXxGonzoArmstrongxXx
  9. Nealrambo

Nealrambo Well-Known Member

Discord:
    nealrambo#2198
    Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -97
    so my understanding is we have to use ocr tomorrow in order to get our week 3 to current week

nbtrackstar5
  10. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327
    Ya i just gotta rebuild the team stats so all week 3 is in there, or next time you save stats for your team, it will find them

11. JEEEEEEBS

JEEEEEEBS VHL REFUGEE

Ratings:
    +319 / 12 / -14
    Sorry to hear Tris. This has happened to a few staging databases we had at work that didn't have proper authentication on. Luckily it was only testing data we had on staging.

Some takeaways from this though
    - People should actually be informed that their passwords CAN be exposed here. Hashes are not irreversable, they are as only as strong as the password was. For example, if a users password was "catfood" it could be cracked very simply. Most of these DB ransomwares will attempt basic bruteforce attempts like this. If someone used the same password here which they do for their email for example, that could be a problem.
    - LG wasn't targetted per say, DB ransomware are fully automated on mass scale, and only attack low hanging fruit like, databases with default passwords/no passwords, unpatched systems etc. A targetted attack would be much more dangerous, as then it becomes more likely it will happen again and that they'll definitely try and bruteforce the passwords in the database.

God dman Russians.

JEEEEEEBS
  12. TheMcKapy

TheMcKapy Well-Known Member

Discord:
    McKapy#4579
    Ratings:
    +98 / 5 / -10
    Hopefully this teaches you that daily, along with weekly, backups are a necessity for a site this big.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ArtVanNostrand

ArtVanNostrand Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are transactions still being processed? I still show as a free agent when I should be on Winterhawks, stats are missing too

No rush if you guys are still working on things, just saw a bunch of people with their teams assigned so thought I would post just to make sure

No Streaming Account
  14. bfp7

bfp7 put em in a coffin.

Discord:
    bfp7#0
    Ratings:
    +1,671 / 33 / -70
    reset

• Like Like x 2
    In World of CHEL
    bfp2k_
  15. G lR ii M x

G lR ii M x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 15 / -22
    Thats what you get for banning Sitful. Get'm Sit!

• Funny Funny x 1
    grimnhl
  16. FRANK LD 69

FRANK LD 69 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trouba_train#0
    Ratings:
    +3,138 / 76 / -140
    There’s no Russian Dman that’s a God. Let me tell ya.

gethesehands69