* New * Discord vs GroupMe? Official LGHL/ESHL Chat?

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by LG-McDonald, Aug 17, 2017.

?

If the LGHL went to one official 3rd party chat system, which would you prefer?

1. Discord

64.3%
  2. GroupMe

35.7%
  1. Vrain91

Vrain91 Goalie/ R. Wing

Discord:
    Vrain91#6806
    Ratings:
    +413 / 17 / -51
    His use of bots as well have been fun in the discord.

No Streaming Account
  2. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    Everything about discord is better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211

Let teams pick their own method to communicate?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    LazyPedestrian
  4. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    That means staff and I have to have 49 apps to talk to the 240 teams in both leagues

My goal is to go to one chat. Make it official and delete everything else.

So if you wanna talk to me or staff it's on the site of the official chat app

• Like Like x 2
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  5. Lazy Pedestrian

Lazy Pedestrian Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Lazy Pedestrian#0421
    Ratings:
    +2,663 / 66 / -211
    But honestly, what do you think is going to be more effective? Staff having 3 apps (49 is a bit high) to communicate with 240 teams... or trying to force 240 teams to embrace a new app? It seems like this is just going to make staff even less accessible and create new & exciting communication breakdowns.

But I don't think there's any debate to be had here. I think you guys already decided you wanted Discord as the official chat app of LG. If Skype was put on this poll, it destroys both of the options given. Even though the new mobile update sucks ass, it's been the most effective method of communication on LG for a long ass time and serves its purpose effectively.

This is a strange topic for LG to be taking a stance on when there are much bigger fish to fry. The only thing I could see is if you planned on making the team chats part of the LG community on Discord which would allow league staff the ability to monitor team chats, which I don't think would go over well with most of the community.

LazyPedestrian
  6. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    Right now I'm using our App, group me, what's up, Facebook, Skype and twitter...

Whatever is decided will be named the official chat app and will be where all official league business with myself and and staff will take place.

If teams wish to use other apps so be it. It just means team managers will be the ones whom have to use the many forums of communication not me.

At any giving time I have over 250 notifications on my phone. I'm trying to keep it more organized to be more effective.

Bigger fish to fry? There are a ton of other topics and debates going on all over the site and in PMs. This was one that I wanted to monitor and review. I fail to see how a player voting and giving their feed back really distracts from the "bigger fish" that need to be "fried"

I like discord API but I haven't used the app at all. And I don't mind group me. It I've yet to look at what their app has to offer. So no nothing official has been decided hence why I wanted this threads...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  7. DirtyJerrz

DirtyJerrz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +384 / 12 / -28
    Discord all the way. We use GroupMe now for North Bay and it makes due fine, but little nitpicky things like having to ask if someone is streaming and then missing half the stream, or having to go into the LG app every time to figure out who is an ECU or TC... plain and simple, it is just more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Discord you can literally automate all of that and tag users into "groups" so that all of your TCs share a common tag, and using the same methods - you can assign Position tags too. For example if I have 5 people and looking for a LW I don't need to bother the goalies and defenders in the group, I can just tag "LWs" or "Forwards" or however you want to customize it. You can even do line management this way if owners/gms wanted to get really fancy with it.

I've used Discord in the past for other games and it is far superior. The voice chat and all of the advanced functions really don't even have to play a factor if you don't want - Discord is still the more elegant option.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Dirty_Jerrz
  8. Big_B_1994_

Big_B_1994_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 7 / -23
    i vote for neither

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Black83Unicorn

Black83Unicorn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    right

No Streaming Account
  10. frostygta

frostygta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 10 / -10
    You know you can change your alert settings right? You can set it to only be notified if you're tagged in a post or if "@everyone" is tagged. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't rip on an app because you don't know how to set it up. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    frostygta
  11. O-jay23

O-jay23 S5 6 7 SC BRONCOS OWNER/FORMER BoG

Discord:
    o-jay23#5139
    Ratings:
    +83 / 3 / -9
    I agree frosty once someone gets the hang of using it the app is very efficient and being able to change notifications helps a lot plus the app is a very clean set up and easy to use just people need to get out of the cave they are in and experiment using it very user friendly once you get the hang of it

xxojay23xx
  12. OkiVision6046

OkiVision6046 LETS MAKE LG GREAT!

Discord:
    OkiVision6046#0379
    Ratings:
    +63 / 13 / -7
    @LG McDonald can you start a group so we can test out discord I have the app but I can’t do anything with it

okivision
  13. adidaht88

adidaht88 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    adidaht#5622
    Ratings:
    +82 / 21 / -34
    Discord dominates all other chat apps right now. Within servers you can mute individual chatrooms, mute whole servers, choose to only have @ notifications notify you etc. People complaining about not being able to "like" a post? It lets you use emojis to give a more specific type of like to a post including saying a post is shit. The use of voice rooms are amazing so teams can talk with each other in group calls EASILY without giving out real phone numbers. That brings me to another point, Discord lets you just simply give an account name with a hashtag number assigned to you instead of your email or phone number like GroupMe requires. In a league with a lot of random people who can be pretty shitty, it is nice to know you don't have to give out that information.

Discord could even replace the LG chatbox. Worried about inactive members? Discord has a pruning option as well: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/213507137-What-is-Pruning-How-do-I-use-it-

Discord just offers so much more and works so well. People who play games on PC use Discord for everything, which is the original purpose of the app, to work for groups of gamers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    adidaht88
  14. adidaht88

adidaht88 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    adidaht#5622
    Ratings:
    +82 / 21 / -34
    To expand on its use as the LG chatbox: Make special chatrooms specifically only for finding people for games. Have a voice chat room for the same thing. You can make chatrooms for XBOX only, PS4 only, NHL, AHL etc. Worried pruning will remove someone who doesn't want to be? Assign them a role in the server, or simply they can rejoin as they wish. Make a permanent server invite link and people can join whenever they need to.

I'm sure there are more creative ways to use Discord for LG than I just said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    adidaht88
  15. Winston Payne

Winston Payne Staff Emeritus

Discord:
    winstonpayne_#0
    Ratings:
    +1,185 / 0 / -2
    I was skeptical about Discord at first, but having tried both Discord is leaps and bounds better. I can't think of a single compelling reason to use GroupMe.

• Like Like x 1
    winstonpayne_
  16. Scheckel29

Scheckel29 IslesGT

Discord:
    scheckel29#0
    Ratings:
    +910 / 7 / -11
    @LG McDonald @Tris10

So it looks like Discord is the way to go (65% ish voted for it). Anyway we can link our Discords to LG so we can easily access people's discords for inviting them to team chats, messaging BOGs, etc.? I am assuming that will be possible with the API?

Scheckel29
  17. LG McDonald

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    There is an unreal API for Discord.

Ideally I'd like to see it organized. We could set up the entire team chats and everything. I've set up one and I'm
    Gonna make a video to show everyone sometime next week to

• Like Like x 3
    LeagueGamingOfficial