S28 Awards

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by SweeT 9 LoU 84, Oct 12, 2017.

1. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    For the firsf season of NHL 18 S28, which looks to be one of the best and deepest seasons we have had in a long time, I decided to change it up a bit with the awards process. The idea is do a couple things differently

1.) Find a committee, apply or nominate people who want to do the work and have the respect and knowledge of the community

2.) Lay out the criteria of the awards before the season starts. What we are looking for and at for each award.

3.) Do a weekly awards race update

4.) Allow the community to have more involvement, more polling, more feedback, more ideas and possibly new awards

Hart Memorial Trophy - Leagues Most Valuable Player
    1.) Wins
    2.) Points
    3.) +/-
    4.) Playoff teams faced
    5.) Lines played against 1st/2nd/3rd
    6.) Linemates
    7.) Positional comparison, relative to peers
    8.) Advanced Stats

James Norris Memorial Trophy - awarded to the defenseman who
    Showed great all around ability both offensively and defensively throughout the season

1.) Points
    2.) Giveaway/Takeaway ratio
    3.) +/-
    4.) Playoff teams faced
    5.) Fwds on their side played and their stats in those games (the island)
    6.) Advanced stats

Frank J Selke - Awarded to the best two way forward for this regular season
    1.) Goals against
    2.) Faceoff %
    3.) Takeaways
    4.) +/-
    5.) Penalty minutes
    6.) Penalty kill %
    7.) Shots against
    8.) Advanced stats

Vezina Trophy - awarded to the best goalie in the league
    1.) SV%
    2.) GAA
    3.) Shutouts
    4.) Wins
    5.) Games played
    6.) Record vs playoff teams

Calder Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the rookie of the year

1.) First Season
    2.) Wins
    3.) Points
    4.) +/-
    5.) Playoff teams faced
    6.) Lines played against 1st/2nd/3rd
    7.) Linemates
    8.) Positional comparison, relative to peers
    9.) Advanced Stats

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the player who exemplifies the best sportsman ship.
    1.) 10 or less penalty minutes (could be lower depending on canidates)
    2.) Be a genuinely good guy, don't cause issues for your team, don't be a troll and be relatively well liked by the community
    3.) Wins
    4.) Points
    5.) +/-
    6.) Low amount of hits

Jack Adams - Awarded to the best owner in the league
    This one is up for debate.

I changed it last season to just the owner with the best record in the nhl basically the Presidents trophy but for the owner only (which was WPG and everyone knew KB ran the team but gilleh was owner and he won the award when I ordered KB but the others on the committee didn't want it to go to a guy who wasn't actually labeled as the owner)

Some people want it to be best nhl and ahl combined like it use to be, others want it the person who had to do a lot of work and was succesful, didn't inherit a great roster, made a lot of moves, surprised people with their teams success. I think all of that besides the ahl can and should be taken into account. We can possible keep hat as best record for the jack Adams and than add an executive of the year award for the guy who did the best job with what he has or how he built the team, curious to hear everyone else's opinion.

King Clancy Memorial Trophy - awarded to the player who has contributed the most to the LG community in a positive manner

1.) This is a media award in my eyes. There's not much anyone can really contribute to the league, the BOGs do all the work, the owners keep the league running, the players keep the league active. The people who should win this (growth of ESHL, growth of LG player numbers, bringing ps4 to LG, Bringing NHL esports to companies or engaging in talks with the NHL like homes and his company he works for have) sometimes these people don't even play on the actual league so i would be cool with replacing this award with a media award or something else people can think of

ALL STAR SELECTIONS - All star selections will be chosen at
    the end of the season again based on your stats for a while season, not for half a season and there will be no game played

Automatic Awards
    Art Ross -
    awarded to the player who leads to league in total points at the end of the regular season

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy - Awarded to the top goal scorer at the end of the regular season

William M Jennings Trophy -
    awards to he G with the fewest Gs allowed min 25 games played

NHL Plus Minus Award - awarded to the player with the highest plus minus at the end of the regular season

Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award - Awarded to the goalie with the highest Save % at the end of the regular season, min 25 games played

*The floor is yours for any additional stuff you think we should look at, any suggestions, ideas, committee nominees, committee applications or any other comments or suggestions to help improve the awards selection and process, all star selections and media for this upcoming season

• Like Like x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  2. Gwan

Gwan #9

Ratings:
    +685 / 19 / -37
    Giveaway/Takeaway ratio is the most flawed statistic on that player summary

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Optehic

Optehic Rated R #22 LD/RD

Ratings:
    +317 / 10 / -12
    Perhaps players on the committee can only provide feedback and voting power in positions they do not play. I think if we have a diverse committee with several positions, this could really work.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. Optehic

Ratings:
    +317 / 10 / -12
    Like defense on the committee cannot vote for the norris if they are one of the players nominated

No Streaming Account
  5. SweetLou9208

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    Care to elaborate. Previously I've always just looked at takeaways and had that as the most important. However, we received a number of complaints the past two seasons a little to amount of giveaways Dmen had but I looked at it as they had the puck more.

I also still think giveaways and takeaways aren't measured correctly, as well as blocks which would be a great addition to the statistics

SweeT9LoU84
  6. SweetLou9208

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    That has never happened, we also don't allow people to vote for themselves and in the team voting or polling we usually don't count teammates and players not in the league votes

• Like Like x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  7. Gilleh

Gilleh Lil Gilly

Ratings:
    +601 / 28 / -55
    He's talking about EA not getting the correct # of giveaways and takeaways

• Winner Winner x 1
    gilpump
  8. SweetLou9208

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    I know but how do you know. Has anyone ever gone and counted each one. I personally think there broken, giveaways and takeaways, but does anyone actually know and has recorded what registers as what.

Is it a giveaway when you dump the puck?

Is it giveaway when you shoot and miss the net and the other team picks it up?

Is it a giveaway for you or your teammate when there's a suicide pass and your teammates loses it immediately?

Is it a giveaway if you get it poked off you and it's loose but you oick it back up before the opposing team?

Who gets the takeaway when you poke it off someone but your teammate picks it up?

Who gets the takeaway when you hit someone but the other guy picks it up?

Why does it show blocked shots during the game, but then at the end of the game show a different number?

Tracking this stuff is tough but it's all we really have to look at. I'm jut trying to see what everyone thinks we should look at and weigh the most for the awards

• Informative Informative x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  9. Nightingale l8l

Nightingale l8l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 68 / -55
    I'm down if you need somebody, improved EASHL historian as @NYR95 likes to tease me about :sadegg:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. l1l Bones l3l

l1l Bones l3l BBB Owner

Ratings:
    +827 / 40 / -41
    Lady Bones at your service

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    BonesOnDemand
  11. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    I would abandon the "Island" in favor of an individual GAA metric. The island rating I just don't think is worthwhile.

For example you could take the average goals against per game of a team and divide it by the average goals against of an individual player. If a team averages 3 goals against per game and a particular defender averages 2, he would have a rating of 1.5. The higher the better, anything under 1 means the player is below average compared to his team. Also worth it for selke IMO.

• Like Like x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. Redmile89

Redmile89 Knock Knock

Discord:
    redmile89#0
    Ratings:
    +707 / 38 / -43
    Al though I'm unable to play this season do to a hectic schedule, I'd still like to help out. Not my first rodeo

I prefer to keep my tarp on most days though @SweeT 9 LoU 84

Redmile89
  13. Optehic

Ratings:
    +317 / 10 / -12
    I would be happy to be a voter on the committee and contribute some articles during the season like how I did mid-season rankings last season. I do appreciate taco's recent write-ups and hope we have more people contribute content.

No Streaming Account
  14. JT l91l

JT l91l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +810 / 89 / -75
    im returning to take back my byng

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    miT_
  15. Pont40

Pont40 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +126 / 24 / -20
    I had multiple games tonight where I remember specifically poking a puck and forcing a turnover at least 3 times per game and NHL gave me 1 takeaway per game. I didn't go back and look, but they also gave me 12 giveaways where I felt like I barely touch the puck 12 times. I don't remember turning the puck over except if I need to dump the puck, force a long pass to relieve pressure in the defensive zone, or a rare bad pass(maybe once or twice a game). To me the top 3 stats for a defenseman should be +/-, wins, playoff teams played. After that there are some interesting stats such as the average TOA it takes for the other team to score on you, your individual PK%, and your contribution to goals(although there a many underrated defenseman because they don't get a ton of points).

From my perspective, as a defenseman I pride myself on the more defensive aspect of the games so things like personal GAA, +/-, quality of opponents, and wins really mean a lot more than the skewed giveaway/takeaway ratio. Not trying to be biased(I am sure this happens to a lot of D-men every year), but I had many great games against playoff 1st lines last year where my team won a close game and I didn't get any points but other Defensemen were rated higher because they played shit teams all year and scored 3 goals a game.. With that being said I am glad to see that you are trying to focus on something other than points when rating defensemen and I really want to help find those underrated guys that deserve the credit!

On the other side of things, I really enjoy going deeper into individual player stats that are interesting but the average person wouldn't know unless they did research. For example, if you do the weekly update for the league MVP you could have their stats and ratings, but you could also go into advanced stats such as if that player has an outstanding faceoff ratio or if that player is involved in 80% of the team's goals when he is on the ice. There are so many people in this league that I don't think everyone knows each other or what that person is really good at and it would be interesting to read on the special things that the great players do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. goonderk

goonderk goonderk#6561

Ratings:
    +2,919 / 14 / -27
    edit: I removed my response here and instead made a thread here:
    http://leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-are-takeaways-and-giveaways-pt-1.263841/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  17. Optehic

Ratings:
    +317 / 10 / -12
    This is gold

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. APsychicTaco

APsychicTaco Scrub Goalie Supreme

Ratings:
    +3,959 / 189 / -263
    "King Clancy Memorial Trophy - awarded to the player who has contributed the most to the LG community..."

[​IMG]

"... in a positive manner."

[​IMG]

APsychicTaco
  19. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    Here's the criteria;

Stanley Cup - "Awarded to the NHL playoff champion."

Prince of Wales Trophy - "Awarded to the Eastern Conference playoff champion."

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl - "Awarded to the Western Conference playoff champion."

Presidents' Trophy - "Awarded to the club finishing the regular season with the best overall record (based on points)."

Art Ross Trophy - "Awarded to the player who leads the league in total points at the end of the regular season."

Tiebreaker(s):
    1) Player with most goals
    2) Player with fewer games played
    3) Player scoring first goal of the season

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy - "Awarded to the top goal scorer in the regular season."

William M. Jennings Trophy - "Awarded to the goalkeeper(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it in the regular season."

Hart Memorial Trophy - "Awarded to the league's most valuable player."

Criteria:
    The Hart may very well be the most difficult award to judge in a league like ours. Many factors must be considered other than what initially meets the eye. All of the following must be considered when determining those who should be nominated for the Hart, in no particular order:

1) Production in relation to peers. It goes without saying that players who produce more statistically are generally the most valuable to their teams.

2) Individual record. In a league where players don't get to play every game in a season, individual record becomes a very important and telling statistic. At the end of the day it's about winning, and to be considered for the Hart you should be posting at minimum a respectable record.

3) Linemates. This is mainly to note that a player should not be significantly punished during consideration simply for playing with a talented line. In the real NHL, players frequently win the Hart Trophy despite playing alongside other superstar caliber players. On the flip side of this, players should not significantly benefit during consideration simply for playing on a below average team or with below average linemates.

4) Strength of schedule. In a league where managers (and players, to a certain extent), are able to choose who they play against, it is important to consider strength of opposition when determining individual awards. The main things to examine here are record vs playoff teams as compared to record vs non-playoff teams, as well as statistical production vs playoff teams as compared to vs non-playoff teams. Specifically, a player who plays a majority of his games against stronger teams and has a quality record in these games should be rewarded over players who mainly play against weaker teams.

As far as individual stats are concerned, it is expected that players will get more points against weaker teams. Players should only be downgraded in this area if they acquire a significant and disproportionate amount of their points in games against non-playoff teams. In especially tight cases between players, also consider evaluating the individual lineups that players face throughout the season. Subjectively quantify teams' 1st/2nd/3rd lines, and examine how many of each the players have played against throughout the season, in combination with playoff/non playoff.

5) Team performance. It is extremely rare for a player on a below average (non-playoff) team to win the Hart. It shouldn't be cut and dry that your team has to make the playoffs to be considered, but note that it should take a rather herculean effort from a player on a non-playoff team to win/be considered for the Hart. Examples of this are players on losing teams that display a winning record, significantly better individual production than the rest of their team, all while playing against top quality competition throughout the season. Cases of this happening should be VERY few and far between.

6) Position. It is extremely rare for a non-forward to win the Hart, especially in the modern day NHL. This obviously isn't the real NHL, but similar reasons for this still apply. For a defenseman or goalie to win/be considered for the Hart, they would need to put up a seasonal performance that significantly stands out among the peers at their position, along with stacking up in the gauntlet of all other listed criteria.

7) Perceived individual skill. Players who are widely recognized to be more skilled at the game should be given a slight leg up over players who have more of a, for lack of a better term, "fluky" season. This should only be considered in situations where the other criteria does not provide a clear winner. It's a simple fact that the superstars of the league win the Hart trophy 99% of the time.

James Norris Memorial Trophy - "Awarded to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position."

Criteria:
    1) Production in relation to peers. It is very important to note, however, that the Norris is not the "best offensive defenseman" award. Many other factors are at play here, and statistical production is only one part of this. It is, however, still an important part. Let it be noted that GAA for defensemen (that is, the average goals allowed in games the defenseman played in throughout the season) is to be examined and evaluated on at least an equal footing with the defenseman's offensive production.

2) Individual record. In a league where players don't get to play every game in a season, individual record becomes a very important and telling statistic. At the end of the day it's about winning, and to be considered for the Norris you should be posting at minimum a respectable record.

3) Linemates. This is mainly to note that a player should not be significantly punished during consideration simply for playing with a talented line. In the real NHL, players frequently win the Norris Trophy despite playing alongside other superstar caliber players. On the flip side of this, players should not significantly benefit during consideration simply for playing on a below average team or with below average linemates.

4) Strength of schedule. In a league where managers (and players, to a certain extent), are able to choose who they play against, it is important to consider strength of opposition when determining individual awards. The main things to examine here are record vs playoff teams as compared to record vs non-playoff teams, as well as statistical production vs playoff teams as compared to vs non-playoff teams (note that included in this is GAA. Analyze the average goals his team allows when a defenseman plays, and not simply the defenseman's offensive output in these games). Specifically, a player who plays a majority of his games against stronger teams and has a quality record in these games should be rewarded over players who mainly play against weaker teams.

As far as individual stats are concerned, it is expected that players will get more points (and allow less goals) against weaker teams. Players should only be downgraded in this area if they acquire a significant and disproportionate amount of their points (or allow a significant and disproportionately low amount of goals) in games against non-playoff teams. In especially tight cases between players, also consider evaluating the individual lineups that players face throughout the season. Subjectively quantify teams' 1st/2nd/3rd lines, and examine how many of each the players have played against throughout the season, in combination with playoff/non playoff.

Vezina Trophy - "Awarded to the league's top goaltender."

Criteria:

1) Production in relation to peers. It goes without saying that goaltenders with high SV%, low GAA, and the most shutouts are generally the "best" in the league. In particular, SV% should be weighted slightly more than GAA when analyzing stats. Also compare how a goalie did in comparison to the other goalie(s) on his team throughout the season. This gives some extra insight into how truly outstanding a goalie's performance was.

2) Individual record. In a league where goalies don't get to play every game in a season, individual record becomes a very important and telling statistic. At the end of the day it's about winning, and to be considered for the Vezina you should be posting at minimum a respectable record. Also note that to be eligible for the Vezina you need to have played the most goalie games on your team. You can't be judged as the best goalie in the league if you weren't even judged as the best goalie on your team. It's preferable for goalies to have gotten a brunt of the workload throughout the season as opposed to an average 5/4 split, but this is not mandatory for consideration.

3) Linemates. This is mainly to note that a goalie should not be significantly punished during consideration simply for playing behind a talented team. In the real NHL, goalies frequently win the Vezina Trophy despite playing on teams filled with star players. On the flip side of this, goalies should not significantly benefit during consideration simply for playing on a below average team.

4) Strength of schedule. In a league where managers (and players, to a certain extent), are able to choose who they play against, it is important to consider strength of opposition when determining individual awards. The main things to examine here are record vs playoff teams as compared to record vs non-playoff teams, as well as statistical production vs playoff teams as compared to vs non-playoff teams. Specifically, a goalie who plays a majority of his games against stronger teams and has a quality record in these games should be rewarded over players who mainly play against weaker teams.

As far as individual stats are concerned, it is expected that goalies will allow less goals against weaker teams. Goalies should only be downgraded in this area if they allow a significant and disproportionate amount of goals in games against playoff teams. In especially tight cases between goalies, also consider evaluating the individual lineups that they face throughout the season. Subjectively quantify teams' 1st/2nd/3rd lines, and examine how many of each the goalies have played against throughout the season, in combination with playoff/non playoff.

Frank J. Selke Trophy - "Awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

Criteria:
    Note that increasingly, although not exclusively, the Selke is awarded to players in the NHL that also produce at an above average level offensively. Considering the nature of our league, it will almost always be the case that players deserving of nomination for the Selke will also produce at an above average level offensively. However, offensive production specifically should not be a factor in determining who is more deserving of the award. Also note that increasingly, although not exclusively, the Selke is awarded to players in the NHL that play the position of center. Playing wing should hinder, but not preclude, a player from winning or being nominated for the Selke.

1) Stats to consider when evaluating players to nominate for the Selke are the following: Record, +/-, PIM, FO%, AGA, and PPKE. Note that players should not receive a massive bonus due to a high +/- simply due to outlandish offensive production. AGA is a much more reliable indicator of defensive superiority than +/- is.

2) Linemates. This is mainly to note that a player should not be significantly punished during consideration simply for playing with a talented line. In the real NHL, players frequently win the Selke Trophy despite playing alongside other superstar caliber players. On the flip side of this, players should not significantly benefit during consideration simply for playing on a below average team or with below average linemates.

3) Strength of schedule. In a league where managers (and players, to a certain extent), are able to choose who they play against, it is important to consider strength of opposition when determining individual awards. The main things to examine here are record vs playoff teams as compared to record vs non-playoff teams, as well as AGA vs playoff teams as compared to vs non-playoff teams. Specifically, a player who plays a majority of his games against stronger teams and has a quality record in these games should be rewarded over players who mainly play against weaker teams.

As far as AGA is concerned, it is expected that players will allow less goals against weaker teams. Players should only be downgraded in this area if they allow a significant and disproportionate amount of goals in games against playoff teams. In especially tight cases between players, also consider evaluating the individual lineups that players face throughout the season. Subjectively quantify teams' 1st/2nd/3rd lines, and examine how many of each the players have played against throughout the season, in combination with playoff/non playoff.

4) Perceived individual skill. Players who are widely recognized to be more defensively skilled at the game should be given a slight leg up over players who have more of a, for lack of a better term, "flukey" season. The Selke is one of the more difficult awards to hand out in our league due to the nature of not being able to watch every game and specifically analyze a player's performance. Many of the stats and indicators used in the real NHL to vote on this award are not available or simply unreliable in our virtual setting. Therefore, along with the criteria listed above, a player's generally accepted skill level needs to be taken into account.

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - "Awarded to the player who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability."

Criteria:
    1) Stats. The only statistical criteria that can be applied to the Lady Byng specifically are PIMS (low is good) and hits (low is good). Also note that the Lady Byng is generally awarded to higher profile players in terms of offensive production. Combining the specific criteria with this general overarching pattern should narrow down the field of potential candidates quite easily.

2) Conduct. The main role conduct can serve in determining the Lady Byng nominees/winner is fairly simple. If you act like a douchebag on the website, you're not winning this award. If you're generally/widely recognized within the community as a nuisance or negative influence, you aren't winning this award.

3) Special circumstances. The league reserves the right to ignore the above criteria for the Lady Byng and hand out the award in situations where a player performs an action or actions that go above and beyond what is expected of them. This is done at the Commissioner's discretion, and is to be used in only the most deserving and rare of circumstances.

Calder Memorial Trophy - "Awarded to the league's most outstanding rookie player."

Criteria:
    For the purposes of this award, rookies are defined as players who have not played more than 8 games in a prior season in the NHL. Apart from this restriction, the evaluation for this award will be identical to that of the Hart Trophy.

Conn Smythe Trophy - "Awarded to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs."

Criteria:
    This award is chosen by the owner of the Stanley Cup winning team. He may award this trophy to the player he deems was most instrumental to winning the Cup.

Jack Adams Award - "Awarded to the Owner adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success."

Bill Masterton Trophy - "Explanation here."

• Like Like x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial