AHL's Top 20 Defensemen

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by Rico Suave FLS, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Rico Suave TOS

Rico Suave TOS Julian Traverso

Discord:
    ricosuavetos#0
    Ratings:
    +148 / 7 / -12
    Notice: This was a write up based on my opinion and taking in to account people I’ve played with in past seasons and played against. Again, I’m sorry if you didn’t enjoy it. I tried to do something to acknowledge some of the great defenseman in the AHL who may or may not get enough recognition. Constructive feedback is always appreciated. If your salty you’re not on the list maybe consider asking for a pair of thumbs for Christmas ;) Although I tried to be like Notorious I failed miserably and I know, but its ok ;). What can I say I’m not as creative as @NotoriousFAT 00 is?

AHL’s Top 20 Defenseman

(minimum 50 games played in the AHL: 2-3 Seasons)

25. @S2NxPuckStopp3r

24. @Some Pylon

23. @Neil x 25

22. @Motown

21. @ChiToWnB3atD0wN

20. @Giroux (38-28-8) P: 31 G: 6 A:25 +/-: 19

Offensive Grade: C+

Defensive Grade: B

Transition Grade: B-

Giroux although haven’t played against him much, I’ve heard through the league that this guy is a good defenseman. The games I did play against him I’ve noticed he’s good defensively, and is more of a defensive defenseman depending on who he’s playing with. He’s very smart in creating opportunities for his forwards from what I’ve seen. Haven’t seen him play much to speak more on him.

19. @l HowieDoo l (43-36-5) (seasons playing defense) P:59 G:23 A:46 +/-: -33

Offensive Grade: B

Defensive Grade:B-

Transition Grade: C+

Coming in at 19 is who I like to call my Puerto Rican brother! With around 3-4 seasons or so playing as a defenseman Howie has played very well. Yes you made the list Howie haha. It was a pleasure to play alongside you part of Season 27. Big shoutout to @l KaV l and the management boys in San Diego. But everything put aside I feel as Howie is one of those underrated defensemen in the league. The guy is solid on defense but also has a great vision and skill in creating an opportunity where the winger is wide open in the slot. The thing I feel is a bit of his downfall is breaking out the puck. At times he breaks up the puck carelessly but still doesn't take away the skill he has at a new position that he's been playing for a couple seasons. Congrats my brother!

18. @Kaddie x75 (135-117-20) P:206 G: 31 A: 175 +/-: -78

Offensive Grade: B-

Defensive Grade: B+

Kaddie lets just say hasn’t been the luckiest with teams for most of his seasons here in the AHL although still manages to pull off a subpar .500 record. I’ve played with and against Kaddie and can tell you the guys a VERY solid defenseman. There’s times where he may carry his defensive partner which I feel is his experience that he has in the AHL. A prime example is Season 26 where he was on the Rochester Americans with me for the little time I was there and with a team that was in shambles with Savard and just pier not finding the right talent or group of guys. Although Kaddie found a way to pull off a fantastic record and thats because as I stated above he's extremely skilled at defense as well as he's probably had the worst luck with teams out of any player in the AHL. Congrats Kaddie! You're an absolute stud!

17. @xXxLeGeNd716xXx (46-41-6) P:83 G:27 A:56 +/-: -6

Legend another underrated defenseman that I see never get lucky with being traded all over the place to mostly bad teams although this past season he was able to show the AHL really how good he is. Legend is a great defenseman in the AHL but a better guy. The guys super supportive and helpful. He's one of those players you'd love to have in your locker room. I’ve played alongside him a couple times in different seasons and the guy has only shown me how great of a defenseman he really is. All-around he’s not bad at all although I‘ve noticed breaking out the puck at times he struggles a bit which happens to most defenseman in the league. Although that’s the only weakness I really see in him it doesn’t take away the recognition of how great he is of a player. He won’t pinch too much and get himself beat. 90% of the time he’s always defensive. Legend needs the recognition that I feel he deserves! Well done brother! <3

16. @Eagles9412 (54-32-5) P: 80 G: 17 A: 63 +/-: 25

Transition Grade: B

Eagles is an excellent defenseman who’s been back and forth really from NHL to the AHL but Eagles always shows up and doesn’t disappoint. I’ve played against Eagles a couple of times and playing in the games against him there’s no doubt the guys a lock down defenseman. I feel as if Eagles is very good all around. Sorry I haven't seen you play as much but great work buddy!

15. @FtB x Grizz (37-17-1) P:53 G:6 A:47 +/-: 36

Offensive Grade:B

Defensive Grade:B-

Now on to what people say may possibly be the biggest cancer in the whole league. Grizz without a doubt is annoying but it doesn’t take away how skilled he is at the position. With 1 Calder Cup Championship in his trophy case the biggest downfall I feel here with Grizz is his defense. He’s very offensive at times and gets caught often unless he has a solid defensive d man on his side which showed in Season 26 with Johnny Fivehole. I have Grizz placed here in the 16 spot because he hasn’t had much experience in the league with about 2 seasons or so. The biggest thing that pops out with Grizz is his stellar undefeated record which I’m sure all of the AHL haven’t heard enough of. rolls eyes

14. @DUTCHLOVER44 (53-21-5) P: 90 G: 10 A:80 +/-: 57

Dutchlover is one of the few banana league players that I first heard of through X1 before LG and has been an absolute stud. His defensive ability, poke check and hitting is stellar. Usually you have defensemen that go for hits ALL THE TIME and hurt themselves more than help the team. With Dutch, it’s the opposite he’s super skilled in hitting and really playing the body. The biggest downfall for Dutch although not really a downfall for being a defenseman, is his offensive ability. He’s not bad at his offensive game by any means but it’s nothing that stands out. Hes extremely smart at breaking out and getting assists because he puts his forwards in the best scoring chance possible. Dutch is more of a VERY lockdown Defensive Defenseman.

13. @Dunks (34-22-5) P:94 G:16 A:78 +/-: 57

Offensive Grade: B+

Back to Season 25 where I faced Dunks in the Western Conference Finals. Let’s just say the game he was on the ice wasn’t very fun. The guys about as locked down of a defenseman as you may possibly get. He’s a great all-around player that you don’t want to go up against.

12. @Padwork AKA- Loshey (64-39-6) P: 125 G:29 A: 96 +/-: 81

Defensive Grade: A-

Transition Grade: B+

Loshey is my dad. Taught me everything I needed to know. Losh was always the type of player to go above and beyond for his team. He always put his team first whether it was LG or banana league. Losh is very good defensively as well as offensively. He doesn’t try to force much and when he doesn’t see an open lane he carries it but he does it very well and is always smart in carrying it up. I’m glad I had Losh to carry me especially in banana leagues. Guys a stud who is great in the NHL or AHL. Congrats brother.

11. @Brassard x 16 (88-54-11) P: 143 G: 33 A: 110 +/-: 93

Brassard I haven’t played against enough to know how great he is but just take a look at his stats. I don’t need to say anything. He’s not just a great defenseman but he knows how to build very good defensive teams. He’s easily a Top 10 D man but with the players currently there it makes it extremely tough. Still an extremely solid defenseman!

10. @Banak (124-65-17) P: 186 G: 28 A: 158 +/-: 159

Defensive Grade: A-

Transition Grade: A

HOLY CHOPS A LOT. If you’ve played with or against Banak you’d notice he chops the puck 99.99% of the time at least when I played with him in banana league. Banak is by far the best defenseman with the puck. Banak doesn’t try to do much when handling the puck and breaking out the puck. It shows when out of this Top 20 he’s the only player who has a positive TA/GV ratio. He’s fantastic all around. Definitely well deserved.

9. @A Salty Sail0r (71-44-8) P: 224 G: 78 A: 146 +/-: 44

Offensive Grade: A

Salty I originally first played with him in banana league. I’ve never seen someone so offensive yet 9/10 NEVER gets beat. The guy is a great defenseman both offensively and defensively but offensively I feel is more of the stronger part of his game. #fearthebeard #beautifulbeard

8. @Johnny Fivehole (91-43-7) P: 102 G: 12 A: 90 +/-: 39

Defensive Grade: A

On to the 2- Time BACK TO BACK Calder Cup Champion ;) <3 As I’ve stated MANY times Johnny Fivehole is the MOST UNDERRATED D MAN in the AHL. People don’t give the guy enough credit, and I know I’m never going to hear the end of it but Johnny absolutely CARRIED FTB Grizz in the Season 26 Playoffs especially the Calder Cup Final. Take it from someone who watched almost every game Grizz was SUPER offensive and got beat 9.5 times out of 10. If it wasn’t for Johnny picking up Grizz’s lack luster play Syracuse last season could have lost. Defensively Johnny is one of the more defensive defenseman in the AHL if not the best, although offensively he’s nothing to be afraid about but bet your ass defensively he will stop you 9.9 times out of 10. Congrats Johnny boy. You deserve the recognition. Very classy and skilled. Much love brother.

7. @SlapShot1219 (49-19-3) P: 82 G: 12 A:70 +/-: 91

Where to begin with this absolute GOAT! Ringing in at number 7 on the Top 20 Defenseman in the AHL. Although Slapshot is by far a phenomenal defenseman I’ve noticed that with his offensive game and transition game, may be an area in his game that’s lacking. Offensively Slapshot is a great player but I feel as at times he’s too offensive and tries to do too much. He’s an incredible defenseman as it is, he doesn’t need to try and overdo it. Doesn’t take away from how skilled of a player he is. He shouldn’t completely change any aspect in his game but just make several adjustments. Love being on a line with you brother. Keep being a stud! <3

6. @Eddiekog (86-41-6) P: 146 G: 18 A: 128 +/-: 97

Offensive Grade: A-

Landeskog the Calder Cup Champion of Season 26. Landeskog is an extremely solid defenseman. Landy is a defenseman that will always create plays and openings for his teammates. The guys an absolute stud! Although, focus more on playing defense than changing your name to something you’ll never receive ;) All jokes aside though Landy is a hell of a defenseman. I wish I could have seen him play more but I don't need to see him play when he's in the Eddie Shore Nominations year after year. Well done buddy!

5. @Lingross x 88 (69-13-7) P: 172 G: 57 A: 115 +/-: 151

Now probably onto the most controversial spot with Lingross and Hammy. Both of these players are ELITE defenseman and although Lingross stats are OUT OF THIS WORLD I really truly feel as if Hammy’s the better player. Yes…. I know call me crazy but I feel as if Hammy is the more dominate defenseman. Lingross is a stud the whole LG community knows this but I feel the biggest reason he’s been soooooo successful is the teams he’s been on. All top teams which definitely help you improve your game that much more. Lingross buddy just know man I don’t ever want to go up against you man. It’s frustrating because you are soo lock down. Congrats pal on the Top 5!! Yes, I’m aware people will chop my head off for this lol.

4. @Hammy x 27 (77-43-10) P: 165 G: 35 A: 130 +/-: 65

Where to start with this guy. Hammy man was the life of the party in my short time in San Diego last season. He always kept the Group chat relaxed and funny but more importantly was his defensive game. Hammy and JTR were probably an unfair Defensive pair for anyone in the AHL going up against them and probably throughout the first 4-5 weeks were THE BEST Defensive line in the AHL until @l KaV l and his other mgmt. buddies for some reason got rid of Hammy and sent him to Hartford. It’s alright Hammy I feel your pain. All jokes aside though Hammy is a fantastic player. Offensively I feel he is perfect in that he’s offensive at the right times. He doesn’t try to do too much and still helps his team tremendously. He’s one of the better two-way defenseman in this league. Congrats Hammy! #nudesforwins

3. @GroceryStickl5l (43-14-5) P: 47 G: 14 A: 33 +/-: 47

Defensive Grade: A/A+

Transition Grade: A-

On to the top 3 and starting with Grocery who has had the whole AHL recognizing him in just his short career here in the AHL. I’ve had the honor to play with Grocery Stick for a little last season and I can tell you one thing the guy is as lockdown of a d man as you’ll see. There’s times where I HAVE NO CLUE how he makes such smart and clutch defensive and offensive plays. The way he breaks out the puck and plays extremely defensive minding definitely would frustrate the opposition. Congrats Grocery. Way to be an absolute stud!

2. @JTRx91 (51-20-6) P: 75 G: 9 A: 66 +/-: 60

Defensive Grade: A+

JTR coming in at #2! JTR has been a well-known name in the AHL for good reasons. JTR is a veteran presence in a locker room. I can remember from my short time on San Diego last year the guy was always very classy and I truly believe the team was appreciative of that but aside from all the gushy shit JTR was a d man you could always count on game after game. Congrats JTR!

1. @Zacha l 37 l (140-57-14) P: 137 G: 25 A: 112 +/-: 139

Defensive Grade: A+

Transition Grade: A

And coming in at #1 on the Top 20 Defensemen in the AHL, yes everyone it’s the so called “cancer” you all despise its Zacha! AKA Nabby. Although most people hate this guy there’s no arguing here at the amount of experience and constant winning season after season here. Nabby is probably the player in the AHL with the most games played and has just under 100 wins OVER his losses. Over his 10 seasons in the AHL he’s only recorded 2 losing seasons which I think is absolutely incredible. These 2 losing seasons really coming in his first 2-3 seasons in the AHL which means he’s had a winning season practically every season since Season 17 and the guy still puts up fantastic numbers and is an extremely solid defenseman whether you like the guy or hate him. Congrats Nabby very well deserved.

Again sorry if I couldn't write much on each person. Again I was doing this based on people I know and have played against. Hope you guys enjoyed reading it. Let the saltiness begin I guess?.... :/

• Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 2
    l2lJulianl1l
  2. Darse

Darse Knob Jockey

Discord:
    darcykuemper#0
    Ratings:
    +3,361 / 98 / -121
    Zacha's going to use this to jack off later tonight

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    DKuemps
  3. Landy Byng

Landy Byng hockey

Ratings:
    +1,128 / 124 / -181
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. xGabella

xGabella Wheelin N Dealin

Discord:
    gabella19#0
    Ratings:
    +440 / 39 / -18
    Going to do a forward? :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    Gabella19
  5. A Salty SaiIor

A Salty SaiIor Warning Group

Ratings:
    +2,026 / 48 / -76
    Good write up dude, I'm honored that you think I'm top 10 worthy. But to be fair 113 of my points are at forward. As I did not go defense full time until s22.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Stoner x 95

Stoner x 95 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +674 / 43 / -59
    :thinking::thinking:

No Streaming Account
  7. Snizzahh

Snizzahh Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Snizzah#6305
    Ratings:
    +557 / 90 / -48
    Why aren"t I number one?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Snizzahh
  8. Rico Suave TOS

Discord:
    ricosuavetos#0
    Ratings:
    +148 / 7 / -12
    whoops I didnt research that well enough :x my bad still a stud!

• Like Like x 2
    l2lJulianl1l
  9. Rico Suave TOS

Discord:
    ricosuavetos#0
    Ratings:
    +148 / 7 / -12
    Your connection ;)

l2lJulianl1l
  10. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +831 / 54 / -127
    Good write up man. Thanks for the time you spent.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Rico Suave TOS

Discord:
    ricosuavetos#0
    Ratings:
    +148 / 7 / -12
    wish I could but I wouldnt know forwards very well :/ Idk maybe I could try.

l2lJulianl1l
  12. Lingross

Lingross Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 19 / -40
    Great write up and detail put into this fella. The Dmen rarely get any love! I'm with sailor, I've only played 2 seasons at D, my one season of forward stats were included but thats alright. Also glad you put me ahead of @Eddiekog, couldn't agree more with that one ;)
    Good work bud.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Lingrosss
  13. ThatZachGuy

ThatZachGuy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +596 / 35 / -36
    :confused: Interesting... At least there is some content to look at before season 28

• Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. I Risto I

I Risto I Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +866 / 79 / -110
    Can u make a bottom 20 list so I can be on it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Kaddie Shack

Kaddie Shack The excuse why we lost

Discord:
    Kaddie Shack#4632
    Ratings:
    +173 / 15 / -12
    • Like Like x 1
    Kaddie_Shack
  16. hotwinglol

hotwinglol Warning Group

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0
    ive seen chlers play better d then zacha

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Hotwinglol
  17. Mats ZuccareIIo

Mats ZuccareIIo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 49 / -36
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. BigSaveNabokov

BigSaveNabokov Chat Mute/Forum Mute - No Buy-Out

Ratings:
    +1,886 / 210 / -344
    Best d man here

• Like x 4
    • Get Good x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    mattyhandz
  19. stev

stev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 6 / -9
    u suck

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  20. Rimmr

Rimmr I am Daddy

Ratings:
    +294 / 87 / -123
    Timeout. You can't put Landeskog ahead of me when he didn't go undefeated in S26 playoffs... Come on.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    NeedRim