League News NHL 18 (S28 Start Potential) Change Proposal

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Britney, May 17, 2017.

?

Should we implement the new idea?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Follisimo

Follisimo Two-Way

Discord:
    Avalanchian#3515
    Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -17
    I'm all in favor of this. I'd love to have 1 more off day.

I played goalie plenty and honestly it's not a huge deal. You say think of the goalies but literally give no reason what the problem is. Too many games in 1 week or what? Teams have 2 goalies maybe they could use them both equally if one can't carry his weight.

Rhapsodical
  2. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -193
    To be fair, the 8-4 split would still likely be over 3 nights for the starting goalie, unless the owner is a psychopath.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    I think it's worth investigating prior to the start of S28, but for me personally I don't see what the benefit is of shortening the season by 2 weeks.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    No Streaming Account
  4. Perrilyzer1

Perrilyzer1 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Perrilyzer1#2915
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -19

True, but then again I just finished a season with a backup who submitted his 3 games of availability based on strength of opponent and which line was scheduled. I also never thought a dinner of steak and kraft dinner was a good idea nor did I think I'd ever see it eaten on a shoe rack.

LG may surprise you

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  5. x Fisher 81

x Fisher 81 @IslesGT RW

Discord:
    Fisher#3831
    Ratings:
    +524 / 109 / -104
    This new schedule is quite convienient, and we should definently not have a game on thursday. Keep this in consideration for next season, many players in the community also want a roster reset for NHL 18. Also I've heard that people also want a rule of not trading resigns and just extending the contract length on players they get from bidding. I'm just throwing out ideas but I think a roster reset is very necessary for S28.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    Fisher81
  6. TINO45CAL

TINO45CAL Warning Group

Discord:
    jfmartineau#0
    Ratings:
    +4,310 / 63 / -145
    No thursday games is awesome ,they do it like that in the fifa leagues and it is truly enjoyable. Roster reset for each new game is the way to go. ( Wasnt the the "rule" at one point? )

@GolSki40 LG wants to see docking stations
    @Brisan66 Run the LGFA you muffin stuffin

OLA KALA

• Like Like x 3
    tino45
  7. Follisimo

Follisimo Two-Way

Discord:
    Avalanchian#3515
    Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -17
    Obviously LG needs to step up their game also and require that people in the NHL and AHL. If there is 12 games per week then people need to sign up for at least 7. LG shouldn't care about the people playing in other leagues and start to enforce a sign up for games rule.

Rhapsodical
  8. TheRevPanda

TheRevPanda Well-Known Member

Discord:
    pandaleupagus#0
    Ratings:
    +756 / 38 / -40
    tl;dr

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    Panda_l25l
  9. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    LG is dead

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. Hxndry

Hxndry 1/1

Discord:
    Hxndry#7500
    Ratings:
    +1,025 / 51 / -102
    goalie lives don't matter

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Snizzahh

Snizzahh Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Snizzah#6305
    Ratings:
    +557 / 90 / -48
    I like this idea, thursday games are a pain IMO. Shorter seasons are a bonus which could attract more players and owners.

• Like Like x 3
    Snizzahh
  12. Follisimo

Follisimo Two-Way

Discord:
    Avalanchian#3515
    Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -17
    Also 1 extra day to relax and get trades done

• Like Like x 1
    Rhapsodical
  13. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327
    You can't eliminate 2 weeks of the season since our schedule the exact NHL 82 schedule that the real NHL teams play, including weighted games vs your division and conference.

So there's that

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Loki x6x

Loki x6x See Ach El BOG

Discord:
    lokix6x#0
    Ratings:
    +4,999 / 139 / -217

12 games a week X 7 weeks = 84 games. Take away two games at the end of the season GG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Lokix6x
  15. BlG STICK NICK

BlG STICK NICK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 5 / -5
    Just out of curiosity, is this only for the regular season or will you be moving possible Thursday Game 7s in the Playoffs also?
    @Brisan66

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    bigsticknick
  16. Loki x6x

Loki x6x See Ach El BOG

Discord:
    lokix6x#0
    Ratings:
    +4,999 / 139 / -217

I would hope not, I like the playoff format as it is. I don't make the decision on this, brodie asked me to send out these posts for community feedback.

Lokix6x
  17. jeremy a 60

jeremy a 60 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jeremy a 60#2381
    Ratings:
    +1,077 / 18 / -21
    I'm still trying to figure out how 31 teams is going to work in a schedule. Does this mean 2 or 3 teams play an extra game so team 31 can get their 2 or 3 games in?

Will it be time to create a make believe expansion team (Quebec/Seattle/Toronto) to keep the schedule normal?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. adidaht88

adidaht88 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    adidaht#5622
    Ratings:
    +82 / 21 / -34
    Anything to help managers out. They have the toughest job, so anything that helps keep good managers wanting to keep managing. Players complaining about one more game a week or a game just a little bit later can just deal with it, managers have it way worse. Just do what needs to be done to help managers.

• Like Like x 1
    adidaht88
  19. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,036 / 113 / -852
    Tons of valid points by all and I wanted to chime in as well. When this idea was presented to me I was bit leery simply because for the last 6 years of my life being involved with this community we have used the same schedule and weekly timeline. It is unusual to to think that changing this could possible be a benefit.

I don't want to take this discussion completely sideways, but to a certain extent I see what girgs is getting at. Many of the top tier players don't commit the same amount of time to NHL and that is based around how the game plays. I respect that and can understand it to some degree. I very much enjoy how NHL 14/15 played on the Xbox 360, and being a part of the direction of the NHL series I continue to push as much as I can to ensuring the future of the franchise returns to that familiar place. With that being said, regardless of how good/bad the NHL title is, LG will continue to operate until the day we don't have anyone left to play hockey with.

Say what you want about this website and League but I believe us as a community have endured a ton of issues and have continued to come together giving us the only reason why we buy the game and play NHL anymore. I think the people we have here, the friendships many have created and the desire to play hockey continues to be a major contributing factor as to why LG continues to remain successful regardless of the product EA produces.

Comparing the seasons we had in VHL, and the first two season of the merge(17,18) to current day is extremely difficult to do. The most sign up numbers I have ever had in a season would have been LGHL S18, at ~3850. Last season(s26) we accomplished ~3600. If we talk retention rate of players I have no clue but could assume it would be around 60% from season to season. S18 was nearly three years ago, and my knowledge of the players and skill base in the League was much better than it is today. I had a lot of experience with the same faces in our leagues that it became very easy to judge the level of skill and depth the league had. Currently with the rate the League continues to grow, and priorities in my life shifting away from playing as often as I once did I am very out of tune in regards to what level of talent the League has lost, and since replaced by the new generation of players. I could assume before LG did have more player skill depth compared to present day. I also could assume that no EASHL in NHL 15, the slow direction EASHL has gone since NHL 15 has taken some of top tier players away from NHL and onto other games that offer more of a competitive experience. To say LG hasn't been affected would be ignorance, but I still believe the continues to take steps forward every season and every game. Considering that last season on Xbox was only 200 player short of the all time record of players we ever had in and Xbox league and our PSN league was also over 3000 players, once could assume we are growing exponentially.

Moving onto this topic and this idea of change, I do see some benefits to making a change of this nature. I also see a ton of wiggle room in @Brisan66 idea for minor adjustments to perhaps met the needs of the community. I think it is safe to agree the majority of players like ONLY having to commit Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed to LG! Many people may see losing the Thursday game as limiting players, but what could be considered is that Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed are all DRASTICALLY better days for availability that perhaps this benefits more teams and players than we could imagine. Once again there are some pretty cool adjustments we could make such as;

• For those of you whom don't like the idea of playing four games a week, there is nothing saying we can't leave the season length along, play 3 games a week between Sun-Wed. We could do a Sun-9/10 Mon 9/10 Tues 10/11 Wed 9/10/11
    • But if we feel like cutting the seasons shorter, and having fun World Cup Events during the summer months, 4 games a week is the way we buy time. 4 games away saves us 6 weeks at the end of the season which basically means the playoffs of summer season would end Mid/start of July.
    • If 8:45-9:45-10:45 are all too close for NHL ECUs we could look at 8:30-9:30-10:30 for our AHL times. That would apply to a 12 game week or a 9 game week.
    • AHL 9 game week; Sun-9:30/10:30 Mon-9:30/10:30 Tues-9:30/10:30 Wed-8:30-9:30-10:30
    • AHL 11 Game week; Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-8:30/9:30/10:30
    • NHL 11 Game week; Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-9-10-11
    Here are some of the benefits I see from making this adjustment:

• SManagers would only have to organize their players four times a week. Having three managers on a team could mean that that is only once a week.
    • This would free up a extra day for trading
    • It is an extra rest day away from the busy side of LG which tends to be game nights
    • It allows Thursday to be left wide open for replays and reschedules
    • It allows LG to dedicate a complete two days to the e-Sports Hockey League. We can really showcase the best of the best competing at that level.
    • Gives staff an extra day to organize and handle complaints which should make the league run even smoother.
    • A seven week season compared to a nine week season doesn't require as much commitment. Many managers feel tired and burnt out after a nine week season. Shorting that by one day a week, and two weeks a season could drastically lower the "burn out" some managers feel.
    I can see some potential issues with this as well;
    • Player's availability could be an issue
    • 8:30 maybe too early for the AHL
    • Three games in a night could be more work than five days a week(unlikely)

I think the four game nights a week benefits LG as a whole. It allows for fast pace weeks for our LGHL brand, it allows for dedicated days for events like e-Sports Hockey, CanAm, etc, less commitment from our players and managers and potentially takes games away from a day that is notorious for being a poor availability day for many players.

This idea overall is an excellent idea, its just the minor details that need to be debated and reviewed. Things like is 8:30 good for the AHL? Is a seven week season more beneficial? Could we run fun events and tournaments during the additional six weeks we save from having seven week seasons? Is there any site improvements would use to better support this idea(ECU on Call for scheduling?)

I am curious to see more opinions so please by all means give your thoughts. Tell me what you like, what you don't like and what you feel could work best.

Thanks

• Like Like x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  20. AZDvo

AZDvo Rocket Winner and #1 Ranked Player in Arizona.

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 27 / -48
    Add a 4th line, games Sunday - Wednesday 9, 10, 11. 3 games/ player. adjust the cap. just a thought pretty buzzed.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account